PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Cairo dock and lost windows...

thegutterpoet
October 6th, 2009, 01:36 AM
I have installed the Cairo dock, which came with only one default theme...and also the plug ins file which installed without any problems. But I see no change in my Cairo Dock config screen. Do I need to switch on the installed plug ins somehow??

Presently, my cairo dock is irritating. It pops up when I move the cursor over the centre bottom of the desktop, where there are snowflakes. then it takes a few Outs and Ins before settling into an open position...

how do I get it to look like this:>

http://www.kabatology.com/05/12/cairo-dock-20-a-unique-style/

So that it is settled on the bottom of the screen.

Also...When, by mistake, I move windows, such as this firefox window, too high up the screen, I lose the top of it, so I can no longer move it...how can I avoid this happening???

I mean the top of the firefox window gets lost under the top bar of the screen.

lastly, where do i find new themes, and how do i install them???

tuxxy
October 6th, 2009, 01:45 AM
I have installed the Cairo dock, which came with only one default theme...and also the plug ins file which installed without any problems. But I see no change in my Cairo Dock config screen. Do I need to switch on the installed plug ins somehow??

Presently, my cairo dock is irritating. It pops up when I move the cursor over the centre bottom of the desktop, where there are snowflakes. then it takes a few Outs and Ins before settling into an open position...

how do I get it to look like this:>

http://www.kabatology.com/05/12/cairo-dock-20-a-unique-style/

So that it is settled on the bottom of the screen.

Also...When, by mistake, I move windows, such as this firefox window, too high up the screen, I lose the top of it, so I can no longer move it...how can I avoid this happening???

I mean the top of the firefox window gets lost under the top bar of the screen.

Yes Cairo is annoying for me also maybe you should try AWN its a much more eye candy dock and easier to configure and position especially on twinview setups. Heres a quick look at mine :D

http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/9681/screenshot1mm.png

thegutterpoet
October 6th, 2009, 01:50 AM
Well perhaps I should give that AWN routine a whirl...but first I will play with Cairo a bit more. Just in case I can get it figured out...Its really a case of What looks the nicest and is the easiest to use. I have had the basic ubuntu jaunty desktop for the last two months, and now am wishing to improve it...

fabounet
October 6th, 2009, 09:54 AM
nope cairo is not ennoying at all believe me :-)
be sure to have the latest version (do NOT use the one in the Ubuntu repository) Cairo-Dock has its own repository and its own PPA to make the things easy for you.
then play with the themes (there are a lot)
whoose one, then play with the configu (especially, in your case, the Accessibility module, which allow you to use auto-hide, or keep the dock below window, or reserve the space for the dock)