PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] how do i isntall grub from scratch?

Meow27
October 5th, 2009, 10:41 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1282057
continueing from this thread, after executing a couple of terminal commands, i got ubuntu installed on one of my harddisk partitions, except i didnt install grub (the guide in that thread was using lilo)

my /boot folder has no stage1 file for grub. it only has 4 files and no grub folder.

how do i go about installing grub on my external harddisc's mbr?

how do i make sure this grub only activates when i select my harddisk from the bios boot menu?

thanks in advance

Meow27
October 6th, 2009, 10:27 PM
im looking at grub4dos, but im not sure whether this grub option is looking realistic. as i want the harddisk's MBR to activate a boot loader on every computer it boots with.

would GAG work for this sort of thing? I find it difficult handling Gag because the way to figure out what boots where is confusing, and doesnt always work (for linux OSes at least)

lindsay7
October 7th, 2009, 12:04 AM
Take a look at SuperGrub and download it from their web site. They have good documentation and this could fix you problem.

Meow27
October 7th, 2009, 12:42 AM
the problem with supergrub disk is that most of the features expect you to have grub installed one way or another..... though it would be great if somebody could direct me to a specific case in thier website

thanks for the reply though

lindsay7
October 7th, 2009, 01:13 AM
You can install grub from synaptic or try

sudo apt-get install grub

Also see,

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GrubHowto

Meow27
October 7th, 2009, 01:27 AM
again it requires a stage1 file... something i dont have.... should i download grub and just shove a stage1.S file in there?

lindsay7
October 7th, 2009, 02:10 AM
See if this helps,

http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/html_node/Installing-GRUB-using-grub_002dinstall.html

Meow27
October 7th, 2009, 05:12 AM
yeah... im starting to think that grub isnt my solution.. it says grub needs ot adjust for the bios of whatever im installing grub in, but does grub do that automatically or is it configured to do it for a specific bios setting?

in any case, my traveling external harddisk cant use this sort of solution.

should i try lilo? or will that give me the same problem?

will i have any problems with the bios if grub is installed in my ubuntu partition as opposed to the mbr?

i was planning to have a couple of livecd's booted in other partitions as well, does that mean my dream of a triple bootable external harddisk is an impossible dream?

edit-------
after reading a bit on lilo it seems that that is also an impossible dream......

oldfred
October 7th, 2009, 05:29 AM
I do not know what you mean by grub adjust for the bios setting? It would only be important for settings using the older root (hdx,y) style, since that may change if your portable is not the same x every time. You would have to use (hdx,y) for windows. But if you set it as first and in BIOS boot your USB drive first it will always be first.

But with grub you can use UUID or label partitions and use the labels to boot. UUID are not supposed to ever change and not to be duplicated but some partition copy programs also copy the UUID so it is a true copy. If you set labels you control if they are unique.

Meow27
October 7th, 2009, 10:23 PM
how do i label partitions?

and is the uuid of my harddisk equivalent ot its serial number?

lindsay7
October 7th, 2009, 11:19 PM
Type blkid in the terminal to get your uuids

You can use Gparted to label your partitions.

Meow27
October 11th, 2009, 11:25 PM
gparted isnt detecting anything in my harddisk for some reason, tested on my desktop as well, i dont remember having this problem..

fdisk works though...

sudo fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sdf: 320.1 GB, 320072933376 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 38913 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x515ccb5e

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sdf1 1 33387 268181046 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sdf2 33388 38913 44387595 5 Extended
/dev/sdf5 33388 34024 5116671 b W95 FAT32
/dev/sdf6 34025 34828 6458098+ 83 Linux
/dev/sdf7 34829 35089 2096451 82 Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sdf8 35090 38913 30716280 83 Linux

Meow27
October 11th, 2009, 11:42 PM
i tried this command

its a reiserfs fs

tune2fs -L Nomad /dev/sdg8
tune2fs 1.41.4 (27-Jan-2009)
tune2fs: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open /dev/sdg8
Couldn't find valid filesystem superblock.

(in this case sdg and sdf are the same)

mechro
October 12th, 2009, 12:26 AM
my /boot folder has no stage1 file for grub. it only has 4 files and no grub folder.

how do i go about installing grub on my external harddisc's mbr?

I think that the grub-install command would install a stage1 file. Try instructions here...

http://members.iinet.net.au/~herman546/p15.html#Re-install_Grub_with_Live_CD

Meow27
October 12th, 2009, 12:38 AM
thanks for the reply

sudo grub-install /dev/sdg
/dev/sdg does not have any corresponding BIOS drive.

oldfred
October 12th, 2009, 12:42 AM
Herman's site says this:

sudo grub-install --root-directory=/media/disc /dev/sdf

Meow27
October 12th, 2009, 01:36 AM
Herman's site says this:

sudo grub-install --root-directory=/media/disc /dev/sdf

am i supposed to substitute anything in that code?

thanks

edit----

what is /media/disc?

mechro
October 12th, 2009, 01:46 AM
am i supposed to substitute anything in that code?

thanks

edit----

what is /media/disc?

Yeah, it's not clear. you have to substitute /media/disc with the path of your root directory. I'll go and have a read of the official Grub manual and see if I can work out what's required.

mechro
October 12th, 2009, 02:00 AM
I assume you're trying to do this from a LiveCD so using Nautilus can you navigate to the folder where your / (root) or /boot folder that you want to set up is located. From the LiveCD it's probably in the /media folder. When you find it tell me the full path to the location.

Meow27
October 12th, 2009, 02:03 AM
i have 4 drives in that harddisk.......

but the issue here isn't much of which partition, but the mbr first.......

it differs since i have two linux filesystems......

but it would either be disk, disk-1

/media/disk/boot
/media/disk/root

mechro
October 12th, 2009, 02:06 AM
Yes the /dev/sdf part is sorting out the MBR but you need to identify the location of where the Grub stuff is going

Meow27
October 12th, 2009, 02:07 AM
i have 4 drives in that harddisk.......

but the issue here isn't much of which partition, but the mbr first.......

it differs since i have two linux filesystems......

but it would either be disk, disk-1

/media/disk/boot
/media/disk/root

Yes the /dev/sdf part is sorting out the MBR but you need to identify the location of where the Grub stuff is going
i edited the post immediatly after posting...

mechro
October 12th, 2009, 02:14 AM
i edited the post immediatly after posting...

What is in disk and disk-1? We're trying to find your Ubuntu installation (I think:confused:)

Meow27
October 12th, 2009, 02:24 AM
one has my installation, the other im planning to use unetbootin to frequently inject different livecds, DVDs into.

i know which drive to refer to.

mechro
October 12th, 2009, 02:30 AM
i know which drive to refer to.

Yes, but we're trying to establish how Grub wants you to refer to it.

So the command should be...

sudo grub-install --root-directory=/media/disk /dev/sdf

or

sudo grub-install --root-directory=/media/disk-1 /dev/sdf

Meow27
October 12th, 2009, 03:25 AM
sudo grub-install --root-directory=/media/disk /dev/sdbgrub-probe: error: Cannot find a GRUB drive for /dev/sdb8. Check your device.map.

[: 494: =: unexpected operator
Installing GRUB to /dev/sdb as (hd1)...
Installation finished. No error reported.
This is the contents of the device map /media/disk/boot/grub/device.map.
Check if this is correct or not. If any of the lines is incorrect,
fix it and re-run the script `grub-install'.

(fd0) /dev/fd0
(hd0) /dev/sda
(hd1) /dev/sdb

where do the UUIDs come into the equation here?

mechro
October 12th, 2009, 04:07 AM
where do the UUIDs come into the equation here?

Grub uses UUID's in the /boot/grub/menu.lst file.

Meow27
October 12th, 2009, 04:21 AM
.. i dont have a menu.lst in the drive.....

my primary disk doesnt seem to be affected though

edit:

is there a grub option to reboot? (i dont want to 'just' type sudo reboot)

mechro
October 12th, 2009, 04:52 AM
.. i dont have a menu.lst in the drive.....

my primary disk doesnt seem to be affected though

edit:

is there a grub option to reboot? (i dont want to 'just' type sudo reboot)

OK. I surrender! What with all the confusion over your drive/partition device labels I don't really know what you're trying to achieve. :)

Try this Ubuntu Howto for repairing Grub...

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GrubHowto#Backup

Scroll down to Backup, Repairing and Reinstalling GRUB

Good Luck.

Meow27
October 12th, 2009, 05:16 AM
thanks, but to answer your question,
please refer to the thread linked in the 1st post :3

mechro
October 12th, 2009, 12:33 PM
thanks, but to answer your question,
please refer to the thread linked in the 1st post :3

Ahh! Right, I see. To go back to the original problem, perhaps it's because you were trying to install Karmic which is still beta. Perhaps you should have tried Jaunty.

So the manual install means Ubuntu hasn't generated a menu.lst. To generate one which fits your system is beyond my capabilities. I would go with the GUI part install solution in the Howto although that may mean you're back to the original problem.

Meow27
October 12th, 2009, 03:56 PM
we still aren't in the same page, the commands (ill edit this post later) installed ubuntu in my drive. i seemed to have everything BUT a bootloader.

i didn't bother installing karmic in since its incomplete. but i have installed jaunty on it. this is information i haven't bothered posting.

now i have a stage1 and a stage2 file in the /boot/grub (which exists now thanks to you :3) i just have everything but a menu.lst file. i pasted my primary one to the drive, removed most things and applied the correct UUID for the partition i installed it in. i dont know if its enough though. but again, i haven't tried yet.

-meow

mechro
October 12th, 2009, 04:04 PM
we still aren't in the same page, the commands (ill edit this post later) installed ubuntu in my drive. i seemed to have everything BUT a bootloader.

i didn't bother installing karmic in since its incomplete. but i have installed jaunty on it. this is information i haven't bothered posting.

now i have a stage1 and a stage2 file in the /boot/grub (which exists now thanks to you :3) i just have everything but a menu.lst file. i pasted my primary one to the drive, removed most things and applied the correct UUID for the partition i installed it in. i dont know if its enough though. but again, i haven't tried yet.

-meow

It sounds like you're almost there.

Have you tried booting it yet?

You may still have to tweak the menu.lst and/or do a grup setup (different from grub-install)

Meow27
October 12th, 2009, 11:09 PM
so i loaded the disk into the drive..... AND GRUB WORKED :D

well, sort of.. grub loads but i think my menu.lst is buggy, ill post it. i get a grub 15 error (file not found)

oldfred
October 12th, 2009, 11:55 PM
Grub error 15 is most likely a typo in menu.lst if you manually edited it,
http://members.iinet.net.au/~herman546/p15.html#15

Herman's site has several recommendations on how to fix.

Meow27
October 13th, 2009, 03:37 AM
still couldnt figure out whats wrong

title Ubuntu 9.04, kernel 2.6.28-11-generic
uuid 025b9b30-90d0-46aa-a3c3-14d6c51a6a32
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.28-11-generic root=UUID=025b9b30-90d0-46aa-a3c3-14d6c51a6a32 ro quiet splash
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.28-11-generic
quiet

title Ubuntu 9.04, kernel 2.6.28-11-generic (recovery mode)
uuid 025b9b30-90d0-46aa-a3c3-14d6c51a6a32
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.28-11-generic root=UUID=025b9b30-90d0-46aa-a3c3-14d6c51a6a32 ro single
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.28-11-generic

title Ubuntu 9.04, memtest86+
uuid 5714963d-98d6-458c-b31a-1f12491db774
kernel /boot/memtest86+.bin
quiet

i just realized.. that the uuid for the memtest is wrong.... will that effect the whole thing? because the main option dont work right now...

Meow27
October 13th, 2009, 04:28 AM
i tihnk i found the problem....

/media/disk/boot$ ls
abi-2.6.28-11-generic grub System.map-2.6.28-11-generic
config-2.6.28-11-generic memtest86+.bin vmcoreinfo-2.6.28-11-generic

is there a way i can manually insert the header files?

oldfred
October 13th, 2009, 05:33 AM
The best way is to have the system do it itself. You have to use a liveCD and chroot or be in your system from the liveCD. You have to know what partition your system is on. Open a terminal and copy these commands. Do not copy any comments # or after # on same line.

Of course you must first know what partition you want to mount, in this example I'm using sda5:

sudo mount /dev/sda5 /mnt
sudo mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev
sudo mount --bind /proc /mnt/proc
sudo cp /etc/resolv.conf /mnt/etc/resolv.conf #(may or may not be necessary to establish an internet connection)
sudo chroot /mnt
apt-get update
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade #this updates everything
#apt-get install linux-image-generic
apt-get dist-upgrade #would upgrade you to the latest kernel in the repositories
sudo apt-get install grub #make sure grub is updated & rewrite menu.lst
#Then run whatever commands needed - no sudo needed (maybe good to run "df- H" and "cat /etc/issue" to be certain #you mounted the correct partition).
#When done:

exit
sudo umount /mnt/dev
sudo umount /mnt/proc
sudo umount /mnt

Meow27
October 14th, 2009, 01:57 AM
my method of going about installing the OS on my harddisk apparently is flawed. i forgot that account needed to be created and time settings etc etc etc

im gonna need to find a way to install ubuntu to my harddisk that way (through the terminal only in a certain partition, see link in the 1st post).... or maybe do all of that stuff as is now........

ill need to take a 2 week break on this project. thanks for the help so far guys.
the above post worked, but ubutnu wasn't installed correctly (my fualt)

thanks for everything so far guys!