PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ugly black & white boot splash

2roombas
October 5th, 2009, 10:16 PM
After upgrading my old Dimension 2350 desktop to Karmic, I now have a very boring black & white boot splash. Some very small text on the screen before that too.

I thoiught it was because of the "old-age" factor of my desktop, but after also upgrading a newer laptop I have, it also has the very same dull boot splash. Why do I have that? How can I get the colored one?

mikewhatever
October 5th, 2009, 11:37 PM
Well, that's the new splash screen, sorry you didn't like it. You can try another one from gnome-look.org.

Maheriano
October 5th, 2009, 11:38 PM
They actually used it? Wow, I remember seeing the designs for it and thinking it just wasn't finished yet. Yuck.

2roombas
October 6th, 2009, 12:06 AM
Well, that's the new splash screen, sorry you didn't like it. You can try another one from gnome-look.org.

Compared to the color one I had in 9.04 it just seems unfinished. Oh well, I can live with it though.... I like everything else in this upgrade.:)

mikewhatever
October 6th, 2009, 01:43 AM
To be honest, I don't know if it's going to change, but would think it highly unlikely at this stage. According to the RS, the Artwork Freaze was on September 24.

orange-wedge
October 6th, 2009, 05:39 AM
I prefer the scrolling text, and just get rid of the splash screen all together.

:)

Vined Adobo
October 30th, 2009, 08:06 AM
I really don't care about boot time. When I used Vista, it originally took 3 to 5 minutes to boot, but got slower and slooower and sloooower until I tried Ubuntu 9.04. It took 57 sec from POST to hard drive stopping after login. With 9.10, it takes 2 min. but I now have the choice of ubuntu or kubunto at login. (don't know why it does this, but I like it.) The only problems I've noticed with 9.10 so far are the splash screens (boot, login, shutdown.) I would really to get back my 9.04 screens. Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Dave

After upgrading my old Dimension 2350 desktop to Karmic, I now have a very boring black & white boot splash. Some very small text on the screen before that too.

I thoiught it was because of the "old-age" factor of my desktop, but after also upgrading a newer laptop I have, it also has the very same dull boot splash. Why do I have that? How can I get the colored one?

Frantic_Earthling
October 30th, 2009, 08:34 AM

When you are on the login screen, click on the small round icon on the left-hand side of the date in the bottom panel (there's a small man standing in it). This will present you with a new windows and several options. Tick "Enhance Contrast in Color". Things will look a little bit brighter on your next boot!

note32
October 30th, 2009, 08:36 AM
I prefer the scrolling text, and just get rid of the splash screen all together.

:)

i 2nd that:D

Frantic_Earthling
October 30th, 2009, 08:43 AM
When you are on the login screen, click on the small round icon on the left-hand side of the date in the bottom panel (there's a small man standing in it). This will present you with a new windows and several options. Tick "Enhance Contrast in Color". Things will look a little bit brighter on your next boot!

If you want to go any further:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1195275&highlight=login+screen

W8WCA
October 30th, 2009, 12:04 PM
I have to agree.
I liked the 9.04 Boot - Splash and logon screeens a LOT better.

For what my .02 cents is worth.

I am trying the suggested ideas now.

Will post back soon

jhenager
October 30th, 2009, 12:12 PM
Following the simple B&W logo on my system, was an absolutely beautiful screen with a 'bouncing' back and forth progress bar.
I can't wait to get home again and watch it. They out '7ed' 7.

W8WCA
October 30th, 2009, 12:32 PM
Well the change I tried just brightnes up the black and white background.

And the continuing on is just a bar with a black and white line for me.

If this is going to try to grab the thunder from Windows 7 - it needs to go back to nice colors!

All my complaints and yet 1/2 the time I am on linux, I am in console only mode no X at all, but when I want X I want nice colors!

EDIT - This is from upgrades so maybe my old grub vs the new grub is part of the "issue"