PDA

View Full Version : Android phone and Ubuntu

Arrgoss
October 5th, 2009, 09:02 PM
Hey,

I'm considering getting myself an Android phone and I was wondering if some of you could give me their opinion about easiness to configure/use it with Ubuntu. I never had a smartphone so I don't really know whether I should expect sleepless nights or things will run smoothly.

Actually the phone is a Samsung Galaxy, so if someone is using it already I'm all ears.

And I almost forget, there's really no app of Skype for Android?? (and Skype lite is not the answer).

Thanks.

aysiu
October 5th, 2009, 09:54 PM
Hey,

I'm considering getting myself an Android phone and I was wondering if some of you could give me their opinion about easiness to configure/use it with Ubuntu. I never had a smartphone so I don't really know whether I should expect sleepless nights or things will run smoothly.

Actually the phone is a Samsung Galaxy, so if someone is using it already I'm all ears.

And I almost forget, there's really no app of Skype for Android?? (and Skype lite is not the answer).

Thanks.
I have the HTC Magic Android phone (known as the MyTouch 3G here in the US), and it works great with Ubuntu. You plug it in, and it shows up as a mass storage device. You just drag and drop to copy or move files.

And there is no full Skype application. There is something called Skype Lite.

Arrgoss
October 5th, 2009, 09:58 PM
Thanks aysiu, that's what I wanted to hear (except for the full skype app).

ELD
October 5th, 2009, 11:00 PM
I have the G1 and it works perfectly fine with ubuntu :)

Mateo
October 6th, 2009, 01:21 AM
The phone is a computer itself. The only reason you'll ever have to plug it into a desktop/laptop is to transfer files. No device made within the last 5 years can't be used as a USB. No reason to worry here either.

aysiu
October 6th, 2009, 01:37 AM
No device made within the last 5 years can't be used as a USB. Except for an iPhone or iPod Touch or Zune.

Arrgoss
October 6th, 2009, 08:05 AM
Except for an iPhone or iPod Touch or Zune.

That was my kind of worry :)

Hyporeal
October 6th, 2009, 03:00 PM
The phone is a computer itself. The only reason you'll ever have to plug it into a desktop/laptop is to transfer files.

Unless you want to:
- use your phone as an input device
- share an Internet connection
- synchronize your calendars/notes/email
- send a fax from your computer
- interact with your phone through your computer's interface

These are not complex requirements for a computer, yet the ability to do these things reliably with a smartphone is unfortunately rare.

Mateo
October 6th, 2009, 04:42 PM
Unless you want to:
- use your phone as an input device

Are you serious?

- share an Internet connection

Should do that with wifi tethering.

- synchronize your calendars/notes/email

That's so 2000. Synchronize via the cloud like everyone else.

- send a fax from your computer

Fax still exists?

- interact with your phone through your computer's interface

Of course it can do that, it's in the SDK after all.

These are not complex requirements for a computer, yet the ability to do these things reliably with a smartphone is unfortunately rare.

They are not complex, just not very useful.