PDA

View Full Version : A question about Dropbox.

donniezazen
October 5th, 2009, 07:32 PM
Hi all,

I posted this question on Dropbox forum but have to comeback to ubuntuforums because this the only place where i ever find answers to my technical questions.

If you find it appropriate please answer it and if you hate it please request the moderator to remove it instead of posting offensive replies.

I just installed the Dropbox. I have a few questions. Please help.

1. If i install Dropbox on multiple computers and delete a file from one computer will it get deleted from all computers?

2. Should my computer have free space as much size of my Dropbox? That means are files stored locally after syncing?

3. How did you set up your Dropboxes? I have 2 laptops and an iPhone. Like having folders and links with same name. For example, I have a folder in my Ubuntu home folder. I make a link of it and put it in Dropbox. I now go to other computer and make a folder with same name, create a link and put it in Dropbox. So, i have same names for all links and folder. Will all my folders get updated if i make change in any of the folders?

I am using Ubuntu jaunty and Dell 6400\E1505.

Thank you to all generous Ubuntu forum members-
SK

Tibuda
October 5th, 2009, 07:34 PM
1. yes
2. yes
3. I didn't understood this.

jonian_g
October 5th, 2009, 07:36 PM
Many questions.

I can only answer the first.

1.yes

Joeb454
October 5th, 2009, 07:39 PM
3. How did you set up your Dropboxes? I have 2 laptops and an iPhone. Like having folders and links with same name. For example, I have a folder in my Ubuntu home folder. I make a link of it and put it in Dropbox. I now go to other computer and make a folder with same name, create a link and put it in Dropbox. So, i have same names for all links and folder. Will all my folders get updated if i make change in any of the folders?

I'm guessing you're referring to using links so that your dropbox syncs files that aren't in the ~/Dropbox directory? I do this on my system, it works very well :)

Have you tried following this HowTo from Dropbox? I believe that's how I set mine up: http://wiki.getdropbox.com/TipsAndTricks/SyncOtherFolders

donniezazen
October 5th, 2009, 07:47 PM
Thank you so much.

I am sorry for my bad English. I am not a native English speaker.

The question is as follows.

I want to sync two laptops and my iPhone. I have to have same files in both the laptops. For example.

I have my files in a folder in home folder of Ubuntu-laptop. I do not want to put it in Dropbox so i create a symlink as a root. I move it into Dropbox. I do the same in my Ubuntu-netbook. So as to save myself from many folders with different names i have total 4 folders.

Ubuntu-laptop a folder and its link
Ubuntu-netbook a folder and its link

All have same names. Folders are in Home Folder and Links are in Dropboxes of my laptop and netbook. My question is if i make change in any of the folders or links will the change be implemented on all folder, links and web.

I hope i am more clear now.

Thanks

meho_r
October 5th, 2009, 09:12 PM
I still don't understand 3. But here's an idea.

You have a folder named "Test" which you want to appear on all three of your computers. The easiest way is to put it in your Dropbox folder and then make links of it and put these links on any place you like on all three computers (or 2 comps + iPhone). So, the scheme is as follows:

1. Real folder is in Dropbox folder (~/Dropbox/Test) and it'll appear automatically on every of your computers.

2. On every of your computers you created links to ~/Dropbox/Test and put these links where ever you like and named them as you like. For example, on your laptop you put that link on your Desktop and named it "Test-laptop". When you run link, real folder which is in Dropbox folder (~/Dropbox/Test) will be opened and every change on its content will be saved on every of your computers.

I don't see the point in opposite process, that is of creating link of a folder/file and put that link inside Dropbox folder (at least symbolic link not).

donniezazen
October 5th, 2009, 10:11 PM
I still don't understand 3. But here's an idea.

You have a folder named "Test" which you want to appear on all three of your computers. The easiest way is to put it in your Dropbox folder and then make links of it and put these links on any place you like on all three computers (or 2 comps + iPhone). So, the scheme is as follows:

1. Real folder is in Dropbox folder (~/Dropbox/Test) and it'll appear automatically on every of your computers.

2. On every of your computers you created links to ~/Dropbox/Test and put these links where ever you like and named them as you like. For example, on your laptop you put that link on your Desktop and named it "Test-laptop". When you run link, real folder which is in Dropbox folder (~/Dropbox/Test) will be opened and every change on its content will be saved on every of your computers.

I don't see the point in opposite process, that is of creating link of a folder/file and put that link inside Dropbox folder (at least symbolic link not).

So you are saying that original folder must be put in Dropbox folder. Does it matter? I have my original folder in home folder and link in Dropbox and its working.

Thanks,
SK.

meho_r
October 7th, 2009, 01:49 PM
So you are saying that original folder must be put in Dropbox folder. Does it matter? I have my original folder in home folder and link in Dropbox and its working.

Thanks,
SK.

Well if it's working... Seems that Dropbox does follow the link and upload actual file, not its symbolic link. I wasn't aware of that.

infestor
October 7th, 2009, 02:20 PM
also one question from me:
can you recover deleted files in dropbox?

Tibuda
October 7th, 2009, 02:55 PM

Yes from the web interface. There's a "show delete files" button.

howefield
October 7th, 2009, 03:01 PM

https://www.getdropbox.com/help/11

meho_r
October 7th, 2009, 09:24 PM

But don't forget that deleted file can be recovered only in a period of one month after it's been deleted, after which it is removed from Dropbox server. Paid version doesn't have this limitation.