PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] /home directory question

cygnis1
October 5th, 2009, 05:22 PM
Hi again,
Another question. On my test box,I finally have two partitions:sda1 is (/) and sda3 is (/home). How do use (/home) partition for my home directory? I followed the instructions on this howto http://http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/separatehome but when I rebooted the computer said that I didn't have a /home directory, and wouldn't boot. Is there another way to get my /home directory on the second partition (/home)?
Thanks,
Cygnis1

drs305
October 5th, 2009, 05:45 PM
Added: Reference the next post by binary00mind, are you sure it's sda3 and not sda5?

Let's see if you actually moved your /home and if your user's home exists.

If you can you boot in the recovery mode to a root shell prompt:
Try to mount sda3

mkdir /mnt/temp
mount /dev/sda3 /mnt/temp
ls /mnt/temp
ls /mnt/temp/home

Do you see a home partition? Does it contain a folder with your username?

If so:

gedit /etc/fstab

Add or edit an existing reference to this:

/dev/sda3 /home ext3 nodev,nosuid 0 2

Save and reboot.

If you can't boot to the recovery mode, boot from the liveCD and do the same things, with these commands:

sudo mkdir /mnt/temp
sudo mount /dev/sda3 /mnt/temp
ls /mnt/temp
ls /mnt/temp/home

Do you see a home partition? Does it contain a folder with your username?

If so:

gksu gedit /mnt/temp/etc/fstab

Add or edit an existing reference to this:

/dev/sda3 /home ext3 nodev,nosuid 0 2

Save and reboot.

binary00mind
October 5th, 2009, 05:45 PM
Hi
First, your link is incorrect (without the www) this is the proper link:
http://psychocats.net/ubuntu/separatehome

second, from what I gather you have a wrong mount point. According to that visited page
your new home partition is a logical partition on the second primary/extended thus your mount point for /home should be /sda5 not /sda3
Please verify all this....
thanks

Bartender
October 5th, 2009, 05:47 PM
At step 5 of the Ubuntu installer CD, choose "manual partition". I'm citing this from memory so it won't be exact.

BTW, is sda2 swap?

In manual, click on sda1, then click "Edit Partition" button down low on the page. Click Format, set as ext3 or 4. Click the "Mount As" option, choose /. Click Apply or OK or whatever it is.

Click on sda3, click "Edit" like before, format as ext3 or 4, mount as /home. Apply.

It's really easy after you've done it once or twice.

cygnis1
October 5th, 2009, 07:23 PM
I booted to the terminal and put in the first commands. I had to append "sudo" to some of the lines as only root could do them. After ls /mnt/temp/home I recieved the following message: "ls: cannot access /mnt/temp/home: No such file or directory"

drs305
October 5th, 2009, 07:41 PM
I booted to the terminal and put in the first commands. I had to append "sudo" to some of the lines as only root could do them. After ls /mnt/temp/home I recieved the following message: "ls: cannot access /mnt/temp/home: No such file or directory"

If sda3 was mounted correctly, it appears that /home was not created on sda3.

If you "boot to root prompt" from the recovery mode and are sitting at "root@yourcomputername", do you find anything in:

ls /home
ls /home/yourusername

Have you edited your /etc/fstab file. If so, please post the results of:

cat /etc/fstab # If you can cut & paste
cat /etc/fstab | grep home # If you have to type out the results

cygnis1
October 5th, 2009, 08:04 PM
I rebooted with g parted and the partitions are: hda1, hda3,hda5,extend (swap). hda3(sda3) is the partition with the mount point /home

cygnis1
October 5th, 2009, 08:21 PM
If sda3 was mounted correctly, it appears that /home was not created on sda3.

If you "boot to root prompt" from the recovery mode and are sitting at "root@yourcomputername", do you find anything in:

ls /home
ls /home/yourusername

Have you edited your /etc/fstab file. If so, please post the results of:

cat /etc/fstab # If you can cut & paste
cat /etc/fstab | grep home # If you have to type out the results

in the terminal when I "ls /home/username" it shows a list of items in the home directory. I tried to put the home directory on sda3 (/home) with the directions from psychocats site, but it did not seem to work.

cygnis1
October 5th, 2009, 08:23 PM
Additionaly when I "ls" /home it shows "username" lost and found

cygnis1
October 5th, 2009, 08:25 PM
At step 5 of the Ubuntu installer CD, choose "manual partition". I'm citing this from memory so it won't be exact.

BTW, is sda2 swap?

In manual, click on sda1, then click "Edit Partition" button down low on the page. Click Format, set as ext3 or 4. Click the "Mount As" option, choose /. Click Apply or OK or whatever it is.

Click on sda3, click "Edit" like before, format as ext3 or 4, mount as /home. Apply.

It's really easy after you've done it once or twice.

That is what I had done. sda5 is swap.