PDA

View Full Version : Building a LEGO PC. Help?

Cam42
October 5th, 2009, 05:01 PM
Hey, guys.

I've been thinking about building a LEGO PC case, and I've got a few questions.
1)How many bricks do you think I'll need?
2)How would I put in fans?
3)How awesome would it be if I were to build Mindstorms into the case?
4)What else would I need to think about?

NoaHall
October 5th, 2009, 05:05 PM
Sounds great.

You're going to need something to mount the motherboard on. I'd say about 2000 + would give you enough to give you some space. You're going to want to be careful of electrical damage, and of over-heating causing melting.

For fans, just leave a nice big space to fit it in.

fela
October 5th, 2009, 05:06 PM
It would be cool if it was made out of 2^16 or something bricks. Any power of 2 where the power is a power of 2 itself. Just that bit more geeky :)

I think the most paramount thing to think about with this is cooling. Have plenty of ventilation and remember that air can't get through clear plastic (yes I know it sounds stupid but it does feel like that sometimes, for me anyway). I recommend liquid cooling as it doesn't need any ventilation apart from at one bit.

For fans - I guess you could make a square gap in a lego wall the size of a fan and just glue it in.

ssam
October 5th, 2009, 05:20 PM
have you seen the lego cases at miniitx.com (http://mini-itx.com/projects/lego0933/). there are a few there. if you keep to low power then cooling wont be an issue, just have a few air vents.

Cam42
October 5th, 2009, 05:27 PM
I was thinking about using mostly Technic bricks, the ones with the holes in them. I don't think ventilation would be much of an issue there...

Also, This will probably be a desktop configuration as opposed to a tower, if that makes a difference.

Skripka
October 5th, 2009, 05:46 PM
I was thinking about using mostly Technic bricks, the ones with the holes in them. I don't think ventilation would be much of an issue there...

Also, This will probably be a desktop configuration as opposed to a tower, if that makes a difference.

Do a search in the Cafe. One of the guys around here did a Lego ATX tower a few years back.

Cam42
October 5th, 2009, 07:45 PM
With it being horizontal, how would I mount the drives?

NoaHall
October 5th, 2009, 07:51 PM
At a guess, make a lego space with is big enough to hold them. Make sure you have a fan in front, so they don't cause damage. Or use a caddy.

renkinjutsu
October 5th, 2009, 08:23 PM

If you're building a case with holes everywhere, it'll probably be better to have the fan push air into the case instead of having it pull air out of it

think about it.. think think, think about it ;)

just my $0.02

hessiess
October 5th, 2009, 08:59 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=628600

Paqman
October 5th, 2009, 10:17 PM
1)How many bricks do you think I'll need?

IIRC LEGO have tools a bit like CAD available on their site that will allow you to plan exactly how many of what bricks you need to construct anything.

2)How would I put in fans?

Any way you like. Screw them straight into the plastic, glue them in, make some mounting brackets, etc.

4)What else would I need to think about?

ESD.

Plastic is a very good insulator, so you'll need to take extra precautions when handling your components. You won't be able to earth yourself through the case, so make sure you use a wrist strap, and preferably and earthed workstation. You can get mats that should take care of this for you.

solitaire
October 5th, 2009, 11:02 PM
also use those slatted "window" blocks in a square to hide any fans ^_^

check out http://shop.lego.com/pab/ (Pick a brick) list of ALL available bricks ^_^

Cam42
October 6th, 2009, 02:32 AM
Oh man.

I'm gonna need a /lot/ more bricks. Anyone know where I can get a lot (and I mean a lot) of them? For less than the $0.24 PER 2X4 (!!!!)that you pay if you buy through LEGO online?

LowSky
October 6th, 2009, 03:36 AM
check goodwill or even ebay

applejuicekiss
October 6th, 2009, 03:43 AM
ebay or similar. garage sales. also, around christmas, stores like toy-r-us and walmart have some good sales on those squarish tubs of basic bricks. depends if you want them all the same color. lego is cool, but it is one of the most expensive toys. i've thought of this myself many times, but i'd rather spend the money on new components. still, i think it's a worthy project. i'd like to see what you come up with.

or, what lowsky said...

Cam42
October 6th, 2009, 05:35 PM
Alright, I've got the hard drive enclosure built. http://twitpic.com/khqdn

Cam42
October 6th, 2009, 07:21 PM
Now with video!
http://bit.ly/lMBv7

renkinjutsu
October 6th, 2009, 07:25 PM
that's so awesome
Is your PC going to be in one case or are the components going to have separate LEGO housings placed next to each other?

Cam42
October 6th, 2009, 07:28 PM
They're gonna be seperate housings.

I'm gonna have the case basically being a City of sorts. There'll be people working where the PSU is, an office complex on top of the MoBo, the hard drive's got the security system already.

This should be a very fun build.

Cam42
October 6th, 2009, 09:03 PM
Power switch assembly is complete! http://bit.ly/2Vs8DO

Glucklich
October 6th, 2009, 09:33 PM
I have no words to describe how cool this is. But at least, make an effort on the design... I mean... An example somebody else gave, was absolutely terrifying. Black box with red roofs... *chills*.

When you finish this one... Lego laptop as the next step?

Cam42
October 6th, 2009, 09:37 PM
I have no words to describe how cool this is. But at least, make an effort on the design... I mean... An example somebody else gave, was absolutely terrifying. Black box with red roofs... *chills*.

Yes, I've seen some very poorly designed LEGO Cases, This, will not be one of those.

When you finish this one... Lego laptop as the next step?
Oh man. That's looking a bit far ahead into the future.

Cam42
October 6th, 2009, 09:38 PM
Oh, and because the question was gonna come sooner or later, Yes, it will run Ubuntu.

renkinjutsu
October 7th, 2009, 04:36 AM
perhaps you can make this PC portable, with all the components able to be strapped onto yourself, with the power cable running out from under your shirt or whatever (okay.. maybe that's too much)

Cam42
October 7th, 2009, 04:43 AM
Perhaps one of these might help? http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts-apparel/interactive/bed1/

Cam42
October 7th, 2009, 06:38 PM
I've got some work on the DVD Drive enclosure done, I had a big plate that the drive fit perfectly on, it should be done here in a few days.

renkinjutsu
December 6th, 2009, 03:29 AM
I've bitten all my nails off D;
Is the Lego PC finished?

Cam42
December 6th, 2009, 04:09 AM
I've bitten all my nails off D;
Is the Lego PC finished?
unfortunately I've had a serious shortage of LEGO bricks, and I'm moving in a week. The project has been put on the back burner.