PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] First Computer Build

zambiandreams
October 5th, 2009, 04:47 PM
I'm in the process of building my first computer from the ground up. I will freely admit that I am no hardware expert and I would like some more experienced users to check my potential parts list to make sure everything I have is compatible. I don't want to put everything together and not have my video card word with the motherboard, for instance. I am planning to install the 64bit edition of 9.10. Any obvious mistakes/components I should ditch?

AMD Athlon II X4 620 Propus 2.6GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Processor Model ADX620WFGIBOX -

GIGABYTE GA-MA790GPT-UD3H AM3 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard -

Crucial 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model CT2KIT25664BA1339

EVGA 01G-P3-N959-TR GeForce 9500 GT 1GB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drives

SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA DVD Burner

Antec Sonata III 500 Black 0.8mm cold rolled steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 500W Power Supply

Acer X223Wbd Black 22" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 2500:1

zambiandreams
October 6th, 2009, 04:06 PM
Bump. Really? No help for a first timer? :confused:

nss0000
October 6th, 2009, 04:27 PM
Yep ... experienced builders think n00bs need to suffer %^] . Really ... I'm about to do a build myself, and DO notice that you're using a very-new-CPU. Possibly the BIOS on your chosen mobo will-NOT support it without a **risky** BIOS-flash.

You need to hound-da-newgroups ( Toms Hardware is excellent ) for any reports of BIOS imcompatibility for your chosen CPU/mobo combination. Yes yes many builders successfully do BIOS-flashes , and consider it trivial. Good for them. But, some fail and destroy mobo function and you CAN'T fix it !!! The mobo is toast !

Otherwise .... since you've chosen a modest GPU, then your 500W PS should be fine.

fela
October 6th, 2009, 04:36 PM
I think seeing as both the mobo and CPU are fairly new, the mobo should support it (even if it needs a BIOS update, generally they work but just can't detect what CPU is running, I think).

That is one nice build btw, only thing I recommend is spending a bit more on the graphics seeing as everything else is so good (quad core CPU for instance).

zambiandreams
October 6th, 2009, 05:13 PM
Couple of the reviewers on Newegg said they had Ubuntu running with this CPU, and I couldn't find anything in the 'desktop incompatibility' thread or using my best google skills.

I'm pretty much trying to get an obscenely over-powerful computer and then let it carry me through the next couple years. As for the graphics card, I always figure I can upgrade it later if the need arises; I don't do much gaming as it is.

Would a BIOS update have to be completed before the the motherboard/CPU would even boot? Or would everything get up and running but with noticeable hiccups?

Herman
October 6th, 2009, 07:54 PM
:) My bet is you can just snap all those parts together, start it up and install Ubuntu without any noticeable hiccups.

The CPU you're planning to use is in the supported CPU list for your motherboard, at least it appears that way to me. I looked up your motherboard in google and found the documentation page for it. That's cheating a little, I know but I couldn't resist.

GA-MA790GPT-UD3H (rev. 1.0) - web documentation (http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=3143)
GA-MA790GPT-UD3H (rev. 1.0) - supported CPU list (http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/CPUSupport_Model.aspx?ProductID=3143#anchor_os) for

Looks like you're going to have a nice computer!
Probably it'll be good for the next ten or twenty years. :)

grndplane
October 6th, 2009, 08:17 PM
I prefer Corsair memory, and I would probably go with and Intel processor and a Asus mother board. I like the Western Digital hard drives. My 2-cents.:)

earthpigg
October 6th, 2009, 08:45 PM
hi,

nothing about your setup jumps out as silly.

may want to take a look here just in case:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupport/ <-- i only buy video and wireless cards listed there

lindsay7
October 6th, 2009, 10:04 PM
From the case specs. "The interior comes standard with a rear 120 mm TriCool fan with 3-speed control, and space for an optional front 120 mm fan",

I would buy an extra fan for the front of the case. This will cool the hard drive and cd/dvds. Just a little more money but worth it to keep the system as cool as possible. For what it is worth, I have had better luck with Maxtor hard drives or Seagate. I had two failures with WD this year and the Maxtors and Seagate are still working.

BraedenNaylor
October 6th, 2009, 10:38 PM
I'm in the process of building my first computer from the ground up. I will freely admit that I am no hardware expert and I would like some more experienced users to check my potential parts list to make sure everything I have is compatible. I don't want to put everything together and not have my video card word with the motherboard, for instance. I am planning to install the 64bit edition of 9.10. Any obvious mistakes/components I should ditch?

AMD Athlon II X4 620 Propus 2.6GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Processor Model ADX620WFGIBOX -

GIGABYTE GA-MA790GPT-UD3H AM3 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard -

Crucial 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model CT2KIT25664BA1339

EVGA 01G-P3-N959-TR GeForce 9500 GT 1GB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drives

SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA DVD Burner

Antec Sonata III 500 Black 0.8mm cold rolled steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 500W Power Supply

Acer X223Wbd Black 22" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 2500:1

Don't forget the static release strap ;)

arpanaut
October 6th, 2009, 10:46 PM
I've always preferred having a second HDD for backups just in case of disk failure and for experimentation with other distros and in developement releases. A little safty margin, and fun space...

I remember my first build, great learning experience, and what a rush that first POST was... LOL

Oh yeah, make sure your power supply is adequate for your proposed system.
Make sure the CPU cooler and fan are sufficient. Use high quality thermal paste, and be careful about electrostatic shock.

Good Luck, and Have Fun!