PDA

View Full Version : The Big Wipe Day October 22nd

solitaire
October 5th, 2009, 02:43 PM
Ok since Microsoft is having their "Launch parties" I've decided to have my own little party on the 22nd.

A "Symbolic Wipe and reinstall of my Laptop" :)

OK! so I ordered Win7 (it's not THAT bad!!) So i'll be wiping the RC release off of my machine and doing a clean Install of Win7.

On the same day Karmic RC is released So I thought "why not wipe my entire laptop and have a clean install of BOTH OS's"

At the moment my laptop is in a bit of a state: triple boot with dodgy partitioning. Win7 decided to turn 2 partitions in an extended partition in to 2 Primaries along side my other 3 primary partitions (as you can guess things didn't go to well!!).

I've been doing running repairs on the partitions and OSs for the past month, so it's a good time to get a clean start with 2 new systems...

So who else will be doing the "Big Wipe" in 2 weeks?

JillSwift
October 5th, 2009, 02:48 PM
I will be. After all the mucking around with my 8.04, there's enough kruft and mess to make my computer cry.

It'll be nice to catch up with the rest of Ubuntu again, at least for a while. :)

P.S. Yay for separate /home partitions!

kavon89
October 5th, 2009, 03:05 PM
For Windows 7 yes. My friend is hosting one of the Microsoft Windows 7 Launch Parties, I get a free tote bag and he's getting a free copy of Windows 7 Ultimate. :D

SomeGuyDude
October 5th, 2009, 04:00 PM
Not a bad idea. I might join in. Hell, I might give Karmic a shot for a week.

TheLions
October 5th, 2009, 04:13 PM
Count me in...

Iceburgh69
October 5th, 2009, 04:15 PM
Did my old laptop already, and I'm waiting to resolve a few issues before I do my new laptop.

RiceMonster
October 5th, 2009, 04:17 PM
Yes, I'm going to buy another hard drive then add Windows 7. I'm going to reinstall Linux when I do that as well. So I suppose I will be joining in as well.

starcannon
October 5th, 2009, 04:19 PM
Ok since Microsoft is having their "Launch parties" I've decided to have my own little party on the 22nd.

A "Symbolic Wipe and reinstall of my Laptop" :)

OK! so I ordered Win7 (it's not THAT bad!!) So i'll be wiping the RC release off of my machine and doing a clean Install of Win7.

On the same day Karmic RC is released So I thought "why not wipe my entire laptop and have a clean install of BOTH OS's"

At the moment my laptop is in a bit of a state: triple boot with dodgy partitioning. Win7 decided to turn 2 partitions in an extended partition in to 2 Primaries along side my other 3 primary partitions (as you can guess things didn't go to well!!).

I've been doing running repairs on the partitions and OSs for the past month, so it's a good time to get a clean start with 2 new systems...

So who else will be doing the "Big Wipe" in 2 weeks?

Okay, but its BYOTP(Bring Your Own Toilet Paper), I'll stock up for "The Big Wipe" just in case some forget though.

travy4911
October 5th, 2009, 04:25 PM
Done wiped for the beta....I know some people think this isn't very smart but I like living on the edge.. and thinking about getting windows 7 so if I get that I'll we wiping again. This is why they make pen drives and dvd's for. :P

j7%<RmUg
October 5th, 2009, 04:58 PM
Ill be wiping on the 29th for the full release of karmic, unfortunately ill have to spend 3 hours waiting for over 2 TB of data to transfer over my network to my other machine.