PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Partitioning on installation

cygnis1
October 5th, 2009, 01:18 PM
I have been trying to create a /home directory on a separate partition on my test machine. I first created a second partition (/dev/sda3) using gparted on a live cd. When I went to install Jaunty from a live cd, all went well until the partitioning part. My choices were: 1. install the new OS side by side, preserving the second partion. 2. A clean install using the whole hard drive, erasing the second partition.3. Manually partitioning the hd. I chose to manually partition the hard drive. I chose /dev/sda1 and the options were to choose the 1. file system (I chose ext3) 2.the mount point.3.format. The first time I chose the mount point of / and formated. When the installation continued, I got a fatal error that there was a boot loader failure. It did not seem to give me the option to put in a boot partition as well as the / partition. In order to get /dev/sda1 with /boot and / as well as /dev/sda3, I had to go back into the live cd/gparted and create a separate /boot partition, but it is too large (2gig).You can only make your partitions so small. I have read about guided partitioning in the installation process, but only have found two options,automatic and manual. Should I be using anther kind of cd,ie alternate installion? Please help, so that I can go on to my next project/problem using a /home directory.
Thanks,
Cygnis1

Bartender
October 5th, 2009, 01:49 PM
I got a fatal error that there was a boot loader failure

My top guess is your CD is flawed. Did you check it?

cygnis1
October 5th, 2009, 01:57 PM
The cd is fine,and the computer boots now with the added /boot partition. But no option in the installer to add /boot to the / partition.

Atten-dev
October 5th, 2009, 02:55 PM
Hmm. I don't think that should have happened. I have had a separate partition for /home before, but I believe I used the text-based alternate install CD. I'd give that a shot.

raymondh
October 5th, 2009, 03:47 PM
Are you trying to install a /boot because of BIOS access problems leading to an error 18? If so, try installing root within the first 137GB of the HD.

If you want a separate /boot ... see his tutorial by herman.

http://members.iinet.net.au/%7Eherman546/p15.html#How_to_make_a_separate_boot_partition

Re : GRUB (just in case you plan to have root (/) in 1 HD while GRUB in a second HD)

in step 7, by choosing advanced, you can choose where to install GRUB

Happy ubuntuing.

cygnis1
October 5th, 2009, 03:52 PM
Thanks,I will give it a try.