PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Booting Troubles after Upgrade to Jaunty

daimajoou
October 5th, 2009, 06:46 AM
I've had Hardy for a good while, and recently decided that it's about time I tried upgrading it, since most of my problems I've been able to fix or jigger and others I've noticed could often be fixed from just various smaller upgrades over time. I opted to go step-by-step to Jaunty and, after getting to that point, fixing any continuing or new problems that may occur from there.

First I got it up to Intrepid. No trouble, really; there didn't seem to be any problems, most things that were working before continued to work correctly. It tried, at this point, to give me an upgraded driver for my graphics card, which hadn't been able to turn on desktop effects at this point (the video card is capable of this since it had before, but after some troubles concerning my tablet installation it lost the ability and I never went back in to recover it). I went ahead and took their upgrades, but desktop effects still didn't work. Furthermore, Firefox was acting a little strange (I don't know if this has anything to do with the updated driver or not since I hadn't tried Firefox yet), and would stall in loading webpages, so I decided to go ahead and upgrade to Jaunty from there.

I don't think the upgrade had a problem until I rebooted the system.

The BIOS seemed fine, no trouble there, and it did the loading screen for Ubuntu. But when it gets to the desktop itself, I see a black screen with the cursor in the middle, then the screen will flash black and hot-pink (black will sometimes have diagonal static-sort 1-pixel wide white lines along it), and I'll see the cursor again, usually now the loading cursor although the animation of the loading cursor does not animate. I can never get the cursor to move from the center or do anything.

I can still do things before Ubuntu actually loads, like go into root without the GUI and such. I've tried doing the autofix for the x-org but it hasn't made a difference. Files seem to be intact as well. I'm still rather new in Linux so I'm at a loss of what my next course of action should be.

This might be more of a graphics problem, but I figure I should come here first since this issue came largely from the upgrade. Thanks.