PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] migration to ubuntu from XP

tapman1
October 5th, 2009, 04:04 AM
I want to migrate all my PCs to Ubuntu from XP. Is there any way I can save all of my installed programs during the migration? Or, will I have to re-install all of my program, files, etc.

Thanks,

hotrod6657
October 5th, 2009, 04:15 AM
I'm going to recommend that you do a little more research on what you're trying to do before you do anything. Keeping your files (music, pictures, etc) is not a problem. What worries me is you asking about programs. Ubuntu is not windows.

Not trying to discourage you, I just want to be sure that you understand what you're dealing with before you start making changes to your system and risk losing things.

rreese6
October 5th, 2009, 01:52 PM
Linux is a complete Operating System. I would suggest you read up on it first.
I suggest that you browse through Ubuntu help pages to learn more about it. here is a good starting page:
https://help.ubuntu.com/9.04/index.html

There is a free book in PDF format that will help you learn about Ubuntu Linux.
http://www.ubuntupocketguide.com/index_main.html

tapman1
October 6th, 2009, 06:45 PM
Thanks, guys, but I do have familiarity with Unix/Linux. I have been working on PCs for a quite some time. What I was asking was probably miss stated. I realize that Ubuntu is a separate operating system. I was hoping that I could use a migration program to still use my programs, without having to reinstall them. I want to get away from any ******* OS. I was looking for direction on using a Win-emulator (Winbus?), so I can still use them.

Thanks,

presence1960
October 6th, 2009, 07:20 PM
There is Wine, but to tell the truth Wine fails miserably to run a lot of windows apps. And a lot of times it takes a tremendous amount of tweaking to get windows apps to run correctly on Wine. if you need windows apps you have 3 options:

1. search for open source replacements for those apps.

2. run windows in Virtual Box under Linux.

3. set up a dual boot between windows and Linux until you are confident enough you don't need those windows apps any longer.

hotrod6657
October 6th, 2009, 09:36 PM
Your best bet would probably be to either dual boot, which can be a pain, or run windows virtually through a program like virtualbox, though your performance won't be nearly what I was before when you were in windows natively.

As far as having to reinstall everything, you're probably going to have to go through that with a virtual machine, unless you get it to mount your current windows partition. In that case everything should work the way it used to.

With the dual boot you won't have to reinstall a thing. Your existing windows install will remain just like it was.

earthpigg
October 6th, 2009, 09:43 PM
test the waters with dual boot on one or two computers.

tapman1
October 8th, 2009, 12:41 AM
I don't want a dual boot system. I already have OpenOffice installed, so I am familiar with that. I will have to look for compatible open source programs to fill the gaps. I'm sure there are a lot of them out there thanks to guys like you. I really don't have a vast number of programs to find. I guess I was being like the majority of the people out there, wanting a quick fix. I should have known better. Anything worth it takes some work. I will be back to this forum for more info, as I dive into the world of Ubuntu.

I appreciate all of your advice. See you again, I'm sure.

Thanks again,

tapman1