PDA

View Full Version : Let me Google that for you!

hoppipolla
October 5th, 2009, 01:36 AM
Has anyone else seen this? I'm probably way behind the times on this one xD

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=ubuntu

Hoppi ^_^

dmizer
October 5th, 2009, 01:39 AM
Yup, it's been around for a while. And, we strongly discourage its use here on Ubuntuforums. The "Now was that so hard" response given is extremely condescending and not really appropriate for a support forum.

schauerlich
October 5th, 2009, 02:03 AM
Passive agressiveness for the win.

LowSky
October 5th, 2009, 02:09 AM
I Love that site. Too often people ask for help when the same quesiont on google would give them instant answer, instead of waitng for a member to respond that is most likely googleing the answer for that person anyway. Letting them know that Google or any search site could maybe help is a win in my book.

hoppipolla
October 5th, 2009, 02:11 AM
Yup, it's been around for a while. And, we strongly discourage its use here on Ubuntuforums. The "Now was that so hard" response given is extremely condescending and not really appropriate for a support forum.

hehe yeah I guess so :)

I probably wouldn't use it in a support context, and it's not that bad anyway when I saw it it just made me smile :)

dasunst3r
October 5th, 2009, 02:12 AM
On a senior design paper (graded by communications graduate students), my group got dinged for using the word "ancillary" for describing things that support a process. For the final paper, I put a citation next to the word "ancillary" with a link to Let Me Google That For You!

dmizer
October 5th, 2009, 02:12 AM
I Love that site. Too often people ask for help when the same quesiont on google would give them instant answer, instead of waitng for a member to respond that is most likely googleing the answer for that person anyway. Letting them know that Google or any search site could maybe help is a win in my book.

There are much more constructive and helpful ways of letting them know that google can help them. Linking directly to your google search results, and letting them know which link you thought provided their answer, and letting them know how you decided what search terms to use is much more helpful and far less condescending than, "Now was that so hard?"

renkinjutsu
October 5th, 2009, 02:18 AM
There's that saying ..
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, feed him for life..

in this case, it's more like

Light a fire for a man, keep him warm for the night. Light the man on fire, keep him warm for the rest of his life.

hmm.. :-k

Sean Moran
October 5th, 2009, 02:21 AM
Letting someone know of the resources of search engines such as Yahoo!, Alta-Vista, Google, Excite etc. (or even Wiki, Cambridge Learners' Dictionary, www.mensa.org - infinite choices) is extra help in providing an answer if you know from experience of any worthwhile references that might help, but it's not all that often that it qualifies as an answer in itself. About the only question I can imagine that would fit that answer is, "What is your personal favourite search engine on the Worldwide Web?" and that doesn't get asked very often.

Besides, 90% of what we read on the Internet is garbage, and unless you know for certain which particular link is the accurate one, it's a bit of raffle to find one of the few correct answers amongst the hundreds of wronguns. Moreover they might be asking you yourself personally or the specific group of a board that they respect and just seek the right answer from people they trust as experts?
Why not take it as a compliment? :KS

Chronon
October 5th, 2009, 03:01 AM
On a senior design paper (graded by communications graduate students), my group got dinged for using the word "ancillary" for describing things that support a process. For the final paper, I put a citation next to the word "ancillary" with a link to Let Me Google That For You!
You like living dangerously, I see! :lolflag:

anonymous_user
October 5th, 2009, 03:21 AM
lmgtfy is cool. I use it sometimes :D

Tipped OuT
October 5th, 2009, 04:08 AM
I think it's a useful tool when used in an appropriate situation.

Sean Moran
October 5th, 2009, 07:00 AM
Sometimes maybe it's a bit like forests and trees. Stand at the edge of a forest and take a picture of the very first tree - look closely at the branches. Then go for a walk for a few metres and select the next random tree in your path, and look at its branches. Excluding conifers and assuming 'tree' as a figurative random sample of all anonymous trees whether living or dead, what are the chances of two trees in even the same forest that haver forks that lead to unpredictably directed branches in exactly the same direction and place in the space-time continuum (and all that stuff)?

t0p
October 5th, 2009, 11:18 AM
Lmgtfy and RTFM are useful in the right context. But it's perhaps a tad nicer to avoid beating newbies with that particular brand of stick.

A link to Eric Raymond's "How to ask questions the smart way" (http://catb.org/%7Eesr/faqs/smart-questions.html) is more constructive. At first. More violent means should be reserved for repeat offenders.

:p

ikt
October 5th, 2009, 11:44 AM
A link to Eric Raymond's "How to ask questions the smart way" (http://catb.org/%7Eesr/faqs/smart-questions.html) is more constructive.

I wonder if anybody has actually read that.

t0p
October 5th, 2009, 11:51 AM

I have. I'm pretty sure esr has too. That makes 2 of us, at least.

HomoGleek
October 5th, 2009, 11:56 AM
Has anyone else seen this? I'm probably way behind the times on this one xD

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=ubuntu

Hoppi ^_^
The 1st question I ask on the Mint forums got that link as a reply, I haven't been back.

If the sarcastic bum-hole who posted it had checked, google search wasn't much help too a noob.

bruno9779
October 5th, 2009, 03:19 PM

Apparently no one you know works in customer care... ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

bruno9779
October 6th, 2009, 08:41 AM
Apparently no one you know works in customer care... ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

lol thread killer