PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 9.04 to 9.10

dgrevillius
October 4th, 2009, 10:18 PM
Got a quick question. I am a Linux newbie. I am about to install Ubuntu for the very first time and I notice that 9.10 is about to come out. If I download and install 9.04 now, will it update, kinda like Windows Update to 9.10 when it is released, or will I need to format and re-install all over again? Thanks!

stephana
October 4th, 2009, 10:20 PM
you can update without formating ;-). The new Version will be available in the integrated Update-Manager.

dgrevillius
October 4th, 2009, 10:21 PM
Pwnage! Thanks!

dgrevillius
October 4th, 2009, 10:25 PM
Okay, one more question. On the download page, it says that 9.04 will be supported until 2010. So, will the upgrade to 9.10 through the update manager change that? I am a little confused I guess. What is with the LTS version?

stephana
October 4th, 2009, 10:33 PM
the actual version is 9.04, but 9.10 will be arrive this month.I'm not sure but i think when you Update you get the Support of the new Version :)

wilee-nilee
October 4th, 2009, 10:37 PM
Karmic has some changes which are rather great but may be best utilized with a fresh install once it has been officially released and is stable. Two changes are #1 grub2 which as I have read is not a big deal with upgrading if this is included, #2 but Karmic has a default ext4 rather then ext3 that your running with earlier releases. As of now the upgrade does not default to ext4.

I did a upgrade a few days ago and it took forever and my wireless didn't work with the standard network manager or third party wicd. Now if I was more knowledgeable on this issue it probably could have been fixed but it was not running correctly overall. In the past I generally just do upgrades rather then fresh installs, but when I have done fresh installs on the same computer as a test against the upgrade I have found the fresh to be a little snappier.

The main thing is that if you have anything you can't lose back it up no matter how you proceed.

tgalati4
October 4th, 2009, 10:41 PM
Try Karmic beta. If everything works, the incremental updates over the next month will keep you current.

If you have problems with karmic--and you will know after using it for a short while, then trash it and install Jaunty and see if it works better.

ifraser
October 4th, 2009, 11:48 PM
Try Karmic beta. If everything works, the incremental updates over the next month will keep you current.

If you have problems with karmic--and you will know after using it for a short while, then trash it and install Jaunty and see if it works better.
Yes the updates are painless and you'll be prompted to do so. Karmic (9.10) shouldn't pose any problem.