PDA

View Full Version : SuSE is ummm weird

prizrak
February 11th, 2006, 09:41 AM
Well I was bored with Ubuntu the darn thing just works for no reason, so I nuked my desktop and installed SuSE on it. The install was kinda long but that's mostly cuz I did it over FTP. The installer was pretty nice allowed me to chose my packages and everything it also configured a bunch of stuff. As soon as I booted into it the desktop was beautiful and the picture of the chamelleon was awesome it also detected my printer right away (although I didn't try to print so I don't know HOW successful it was).
And then I opened an application, it didn't take long to open it but it would lag even moving it around. ANY window! On a computer that handles XP w/o a single issue! I don't understand why it was lagging so bad. Even if the Xgl was installed and enabled I do have an AGP8X nVidia card that shoulda handled it.

tseliot
February 11th, 2006, 11:05 AM
Well I was bored with Ubuntu the darn thing just works for no reason, so I nuked my desktop and installed SuSE on it. The install was kinda long but that's mostly cuz I did it over FTP. The installer was pretty nice allowed me to chose my packages and everything it also configured a bunch of stuff. As soon as I booted into it the desktop was beautiful and the picture of the chamelleon was awesome it also detected my printer right away (although I didn't try to print so I don't know HOW successful it was).
And then I opened an application, it didn't take long to open it but it would lag even moving it around. ANY window! On a computer that handles XP w/o a single issue! I don't understand why it was lagging so bad. Even if the Xgl was installed and enabled I do have an AGP8X nVidia card that shoulda handled it.
First of all: Did you ask for help on Suse's forums?

I dislike Yast but the rest of the distro seems to be ok. And I hope this is not a Suse bashing thread.

Remember: if you're looking for the PERFECT DISTRO or OS you can stop searching because it doesn't exist. Nonetheless I'm sure a distro which is perfect for you does exists.

Distro wars are meaningless but if the purpose of this thread is different I apologise in advance.

nickle
February 11th, 2006, 11:40 AM
I fully agree with TS.

I have used SUSE for years, but am slowly transitioning to Kubuntu. Each distribution has its strong and weak points and in particular each has its own optimization tricks and issues. Hence each distro has its own forum. If one wants to really discuss a problem with SUSE, then as TS says do that in the SUSE forum.
Since (I hope) we are trying to contribute to improving (K)Ubuntu in this forum, it would be worth picking out the good features (and SUSE has plenty) in other distributions and suggesting these as future potential improvements in the appropriate section of this forum:)

In particular I am attracted to K(ubuntu) because of its wonderful friendly and helpful forum... Let's keep it that way.....

briancurtin
February 11th, 2006, 06:53 PM
i used SuSE for 7 months, never had a problem with it . ran very smoothly

Lord Illidan
February 11th, 2006, 07:03 PM
Did you install the NVIDIA drivers of SUSE?

I had a few issues with SUSE.. Very polished installation and interface, but YAST brings it down completely..

And the forums are not as good as these, definitely. And there is a definite lack of good howtos.

But as regarding speed, SUSE was as fast as Kubuntu, if you discount YAST at least.

void_false
February 11th, 2006, 07:11 PM
SUSE works much faster then Ubuntu for me. I remember that is took forever to open/save a documet on Ubuntu. SUSE makes it instantly.
Regarding your problem... Hm... Do you get any errors in console during the boot process? Is DMA enabled? Is your system up to date? Are you using stable version or beta?

Derek Djons
February 11th, 2006, 09:17 PM
It's easy being negative about an OS if you're used using Ubuntu or an other OS. I've also installed SuSE Linux 10.1 Beta 3. I used the CD's knowning that installing using FTP would take a whole day in my case (I've done it before).

SuSE Linux 10.1 Beta 3 is in my opinion an dashing Operating System. It recognized my hardware (except videocard ATi Radeon 9700 PRO) and guided me beyond easy. Below here are my short pros and cons:

installation:
Installing SuSE Linux 10.1 Beta 3 is really a piece of cake. I can imagine Linux newbies choosing for SuSE. It's appearal is very static, more 'normal desktop' than other Linux Distro's. The questions and GUI make it a must have for beginners and or people searching for beyond guided installation. SuSE almost always when needed makes decisions for you which correspond with your hardware and situations.

Past SuSE Linux versions installed Gnome and KDE by default but KDE was as far as I knew always the default. I'm glad the SuSE Team let's you choose before booting into the system.

configuration:
I also spend some time configuring. To my dissapointment SuSE Linux 10.1 Beta 3 still takes more time to be configured. Especially if you want to tweak it to max settings and or customized settings such as network. This is being caused by Yast. The way you can change settings and the amount of settings is in my opinion a bit of an overkill.

About usage I can't say much. I haven't been using it for long now. I have to solve a minor though major glitch. Through my own stupidity I'm watching at a screen without any menu's and icons. The installer recognized my videocard and monitor and suggested an resolution of 1280x1024. Instead of testing first (which was availble) I applied the settings and booted into Gnome. But something is screwing up so the icons and menu's are out of reach. So... the conclusion I can make now is that SuSE Linux 10.1 Beta 3 is an cool Linux Distro to install and a user can make more errors appear because of his ignorance. This counts for all distro's though.

prizrak
February 12th, 2006, 08:31 AM
Oh boy. I'm sorry if it seemed like I was bashing SuSE I wasn't. I did install the nVidia drivers for it. I'm not really distro searching since I have found the perfect distro Ubuntu ;) I was just playing around with stuff. It's not much of a problem I'm back to Ubuntu on that machine. That comp actually doesn't do anything interesting not even storage so I screw with it once in a while when bored ;) I didn't see it as a problem I just thought it was really weird that it would have rendering issues on my machine. I never had luck with SuSE tho so it doesn't matter :)

drfalkor
February 12th, 2006, 09:04 AM
I have used suse before,.. But the only thing with SuSE I din't like was YaST; Maybe it all will get better on the new version of SuSE that is coming ?

nickle
February 13th, 2006, 03:38 PM
I am surprised that so many people do not like YAST. Apart from the package management, which is a dog compared to the apt tools, I like YAST. I like the idea of having all the important admin stuff together. I would indeed like if ubuntu would adopt and adapt the good parts of YAST... just a thought...

wjp.reg
February 13th, 2006, 04:00 PM
I am surprised that so many people do not like YAST. Apart from the package management, which is a dog compared to the apt tools, I like YAST. I like the idea of having all the important admin stuff together. I would indeed like if ubuntu would adopt and adapt the good parts of YAST... just a thought...

I find myself in the same "corner" as nickle; I see YaST as a strength, perhaps only for noobs like me :) , whereas more experienced linux users may find it gets in the way. I too would like to see some adoption of a YaST concept in ubuntu, especially for the beginner. Whether you use it or not would be your choice.

riff_79
February 15th, 2006, 03:31 AM
I use both SUSE and Ubuntu/Kubuntu. I find they run relitivitly the same, in terms of speed on my hardware.

I guess its all a matter of taste, like cars! They all can get you from a - b, but all do it differently, some do some things better in this area and others in that area.

Im still tossing up which on to use as my main distro.

bored2k
February 15th, 2006, 03:36 AM
Note:

Any more bashing, this thread's going to the yard.
Do not turn this thread into a technical support thread. We have the SuSE forums and our specific areas for that.

If you haven't done anything, ignore this message. If you have, read it, don't reply to it. On-topic.

prizrak
February 15th, 2006, 03:44 AM
I actually know why it was slow. For some reason it's X was using vmware instead of nv rendering........... Like i said SuSE is weird ;)

Qrk
February 15th, 2006, 04:36 AM
I had the same problem with breezy (using nv)

The moral is most of the problems people bash a distro for can have very easy fixes. SuSE probably just set up a driver that isn't the best for your hardware. That doesn't make it a slow distro.

I had a friend that wouldn't use Ubuntu because he didn't think it had a gui. He asked "650MB and no GUI?" Turns out he just doesn't read error messages (x.org failing to start is a pretty big one.) He went back to gentoo.

prizrak
February 15th, 2006, 06:46 AM
I had the same problem with breezy (using nv)

The moral is most of the problems people bash a distro for can have very easy fixes. SuSE probably just set up a driver that isn't the best for your hardware. That doesn't make it a slow distro.

I had a friend that wouldn't use Ubuntu because he didn't think it had a gui. He asked "650MB and no GUI?" Turns out he just doesn't read error messages (x.org failing to start is a pretty big one.) He went back to gentoo.
HAHA ROFL, the dude is a Gentoo user and couldn't get a GUI to run on Ubuntu. Definetly interesting. SuSE is actually pretty weird as far as it's xorg.conf file was as well, it was mad bloated I had a hard time navigating around. I think it didn't autodetect my hardware all that well cuz it had config options for like every mode known to man. I didn't actually say it was slow that's why I thought it was weird, the apps started up as fast as Ubuntu but afterwards........ Oh well ;)