PDA

View Full Version : Arch Forums

kingbilly
October 4th, 2009, 07:37 PM
I was taking a look at the arch forums this morning and I saw this thread

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=81543

Exactly because it's a simple question is why you should do a little more effort to answer this one yourself smile. Google or the forum search will get you a long way - use it please.

Welcome to the forums btw - be sure to read the forum rules smile. I'm closing this one.

It breaks my heart every time I see these responses to a question. The moderator didn't even provide a link to the rules!

I remember not too long ago when I first tried ubuntu 4.10. Ubuntu was so new that searching google was often no help. The quoted response above was to another forum user who had only posted 4 times on the forum.

It's not that I don't agree - by all means we need to utilize the search function of the forums. This saves time and allows us to solve more problems instead of repeating the same answers.

The part of this mentality I truly hate is that we expect these new users to know about the forum rules and treat them negatively for not following them.

A quick glance at http://bbs.archlinux.org/ will reveal no forum rules link on the front page, nor the subcategory in the above post.

I've always hated the negative vibe we give off in the ubuntu forums on a few threads where the OP was generally just clueless. It is not an everyday thing, but it happens. I knew one member personally. She posted on our forums while I was out of town and couldn't be of assistance. It was her first time probably ever using a BBS. Of the three pages of discussion, the first page was total garbage; it was about searching google for an answer.

Like I said, I know her personally. She loves linux, dislikes the alternatives. But when I read the responses she received for not reading the forum rules first, I could see how other users were probably judging her in their head. Like she was some windows zealot who just came here to troll. But that wasn't the case.

Can we really treat absolute beginners like... absolute beginners? Not just to linux.. but maybe even forums,.. or the internet,.. or computers!

Don't take it personal when people don't read your forum rules. Its not as obvious to some people. I could only imagine my dad, age 59 and running linux that I setup, attempting to navigate his way to the forums for help. He'd be rejected before he turned on the computer.

~sHyLoCk~
October 4th, 2009, 07:46 PM
what is the difference between Desktop Environment & Window Managers?

The question got the most polite answer it deserved.

SuperSonic4
October 4th, 2009, 07:48 PM
It was dated today - google and wikipedia answer the question.

What you have to be aware of that beginners in arch are often more expert users in other distros such as ubuntu

RiceMonster
October 4th, 2009, 07:53 PM
in b4 flamewar

Skripka
October 4th, 2009, 07:59 PM
in b4 flamewar

In before a moderator warns Ubuntu users not to turn this into an Ubuntu is better than Arch flamewar.

Regenweald
October 4th, 2009, 08:01 PM
If you are going to ask the difference between a desktop and a window manager, you need to re-evaluate exactly what you expect from your Linux OS of choice. There are literally thousands of Blogs and web sites with that information on offer for free. With all that simple information and MUCH MORE put together painstakingly to ensure ease of understanding and to ensure that the information can be assimilated. Whether Arch or Ubuntu forums, Why encourage
laziness ?

And also, why should the moderator provide a link to the rules ? In every forum rules are prominently displayed. Are we now assuming that the 'average joe user' cannot competently navigate an online forum ?

Kudos to the Ubuntu and Arch moderators. They have a lot to put up with.

Skripka
October 4th, 2009, 08:02 PM
Can we really treat absolute beginners like... absolute beginners? Not just to linux.. but maybe even forums,.. or the internet,.. or computers!

Don't take it personal when people don't read your forum rules. Its not as obvious to some people. I could only imagine my dad, age 59 and running linux that I setup, attempting to navigate his way to the forums for help. He'd be rejected before he turned on the computer.

It is forum etiquette o'er on Arch Forums to look for an answer before asking a question.

Arch is targeted at competent linux users, "who tend to do first, and ask questions later" in the words of The Arch Way. Arch and it's forums are not n00b friendly, and never will be. I could say more, but it would get me in trouble over here.

Dharmachakra
October 4th, 2009, 08:05 PM
By the way, the Forum Etiquette page is linked to in the moderator's signature.

kingbilly
October 4th, 2009, 08:05 PM
I know arch isn't for beginners.. it happens here too sometimes. thats why it was on my mind.

And it happens for simple questions :( .. not like the one in the example

sisco311
October 4th, 2009, 08:09 PM
never mind
:)

SomeGuyDude
October 4th, 2009, 08:10 PM
hay guys wut does "root" mean?!?!?!?!?

Skripka
October 4th, 2009, 08:12 PM

i installed ubuntu and my crysis won't install. plz halp.

Jesus_Valdez
October 4th, 2009, 08:14 PM
I'm 12 and waht it this?

NoaHall
October 4th, 2009, 08:17 PM
Help, my password is invisible! Does this mean someone has hacked me?!?!?! What's the best anti-virus?!?!

BuffaloX
October 4th, 2009, 08:25 PM
I absolutely sympathize with the message the OP is trying to convey.
I have numerous times looked in the support forum to see if I could help someone.
But even most beginners questions are beyond me.
I've been using Ubuntu for more than three years, but I am nowhere near my skills in XP, simply because my level of curiosity is much lower now than it used to be, and I honestly have very few problems with Ubuntu.

I help my mother and mother in law, and if someone inexperienced like them, wants to use Ubuntu, and need some simple terms explained, or a very basic, but very accurate guide to a simple problem, I would gladly help.

Maybe we should have a Noob corner for absolute beginners?

Anyways I believe we should not diss anybody for the questions they ask.

All this is in perfect alignment with the Ubuntu philosophy, so we should be good.
Are we?

Skripka
October 4th, 2009, 08:27 PM
I'm 12 and waht it this?

Fraud. NO CAPITALIZING when typing in the style of SMS messaging.

PurposeOfReason
October 4th, 2009, 08:30 PM
It was dated today - google and wikipedia answer the question.

What you have to be aware of that beginners in arch are often more expert users in other distros such as ubuntu
Ha, when I ask questions on the arch forums because something goes wrong I get no useful help.

Hallvor
October 4th, 2009, 08:30 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Root

Anyway, I put a root in my computer; how can I make an account for it?

sisco311
October 4th, 2009, 08:36 PM

It breaks my heart every time I see these responses to a question. The moderator didn't even provide a link to the rules!

I remember not too long ago when I first tried ubuntu 4.10. Ubuntu was so new that searching google was often no help. The quoted response above was to another forum user who had only posted 4 times on the forum.

It's not that I don't agree - by all means we need to utilize the search function of the forums. This saves time and allows us to solve more problems instead of repeating the same answers.

The part of this mentality I truly hate is that we expect these new users to know about the forum rules and treat them negatively for not following them.

A quick glance at http://bbs.archlinux.org/ will reveal no forum rules link on the front page, nor the subcategory in the above post.

I've always hated the negative vibe we give off in the ubuntu forums on a few threads where the OP was generally just clueless. It is not an everyday thing, but it happens. I knew one member personally. She posted on our forums while I was out of town and couldn't be of assistance. It was her first time probably ever using a BBS. Of the three pages of discussion, the first page was total garbage; it was about searching google for an answer.

Like I said, I know her personally. She loves linux, dislikes the alternatives. But when I read the responses she received for not reading the forum rules first, I could see how other users were probably judging her in their head. Like she was some windows zealot who just came here to troll. But that wasn't the case.

please read the Arch Linux forum's rules. thanks in advance.

SuperSonic4
October 4th, 2009, 08:37 PM
In beofre the lock

snowpine
October 4th, 2009, 08:42 PM
1. Are you sure this is the best forum to discuss this issue? (and not, say... the Arch forums??)
2. Every group of people has its unique culture, you need to understand the proper etiquette, can't expect Arch forums to have exactly the same rules and customs as Ubuntu forums.
3. Arch Beginner's Guide explains the difference between a DE and a WM; if someone is asking this question, they haven't read the Beginner's Guide and are wasting people's time. :)
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners_Guide#Part_IV:_Installing_and_configurin g_a_Desktop_Environment
4. See #1. ;)

SomeGuyDude
October 4th, 2009, 09:23 PM
The Arch forums are not entirely friendly. They aren't bad, but you have to have at least ATTEMPTED to answer your question prior to posing it, and in asking you have to give some good details.

The assumption is that if you installed Arch, you a) have some understanding of the system, b) are a do-it-yourself kinda person. So noobish questions are unlikely to be met with a warm reception.

Gen2ly
October 4th, 2009, 10:16 PM
I think the moderator acted appropriately. He responded friendly and explained the reason for closing the thread. I understand the new user thought process - wanting to get the most updated information (as software tends to get updated frequently) and hear experiences of what people are doing now personally related to them. When I first started with Linux, I asked questions like this often that more advanced users skipped over because they thought, "A five minute search can give you your answer." I read the forum regularly and this is a common question so a search will probably find the answer he is looking for. I think he handled the question just fine.

pwnst*r
October 4th, 2009, 10:21 PM
i dont see what the big deal is. anybody with half a peanut in their skull can find the forum rules.

keiichidono
October 4th, 2009, 10:49 PM
Inb4 freeBSD.

Barrucadu
October 4th, 2009, 11:08 PM
In the first section on the forum etiquette wiki page:

When asking for help, read the manual, do your research and provide details for those you are asking for help.

Clearly, this user didn't read the rules.

kavon89
October 4th, 2009, 11:29 PM
I see nothing wrong with that response. The answer to that question is long and better explained elsewhere, all that is needed is a little searching.

hoppipolla
October 5th, 2009, 01:16 AM

That was all very well said :)

I do agree, I find that people can sometimes be very blunt and dismissive, and it can be off-putting particularly for new users.

Personally, unless I have answered a question a MILLION times already, I don't mind repeating myself a few times :) People ask these questions directly as it is quicker than searching through old posts or documentation, and the answers you get are often more suited to your predicament.

Some forums are far worse though, they can be unbearable!

dmizer
October 5th, 2009, 01:35 AM

I am closing this, as the Ubuntu forums is not the appropriate location to complain about how Arch forums manage their site. If you have a problem with how they moderate, bring it before their staff.

Likewise, if you see that kind of behavior here on Ubuntuforums, please use the report post feature.

Thank you all for your participation.