PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Toshiba Tecra - Access to BIOS setup

windfarm
October 4th, 2009, 11:23 AM
Does anyone know how to reach the BIOS setup page on a Toshiba Tecra 780DVD? I want to get it to boot from a Live CD (assuming it can) so I can try out out Ubuntu on it.

I was recently given this old machine. When I switch it on it immediately shows a black screen asking for a password. After I enter this password it immediately starts to load Windows 2k and the only option offered on-screen to interrupt this loading takes me to a Windows boot options screen where I can select to start in Safe Mode etc. There seems to be no opportunity to press key to go into BIOS setup. The other problem I have is that Windows asks for a user ID and pwd but I don't know what these are, so I can't start Windows either.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Partyboi2
October 4th, 2009, 11:38 AM
Hi, try what is suggested here (http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-95/enter-bios-toshiba-tecra/111915.html)

windfarm
October 4th, 2009, 12:03 PM
Thanks, that worked with a small variation - hold down escape when pressing enter after typing the system password; then press F1.

If there is no system password, then I guess you can hold down escape when pressing the power-on key, as suggested in the linked thread.