PDA

View Full Version : Mark is messing with us!

kevin11951
October 4th, 2009, 07:40 AM
If you remember in the letter he wrote about karmic, he said we were leaving brown forever, but in the beta release, the theme is deep brown, with brown icons, and brown start-up screen. I think in the final release we will see a totally different theme w/o any brown at all!!!

Here's to hoping! :guitar:

CJ Master
October 4th, 2009, 07:41 AM
Nope. We can't leave brown now, it's basically the "symbol" of Ubuntu.

RiceMonster
October 4th, 2009, 07:42 AM
If you don't like brown, change the theme.

/thread

kevin11951
October 4th, 2009, 07:44 AM
If you don't like brown, change the theme.

/thread

I never said I didn't like it, I kinda like brown. It just seemed weird that he did the antithesis of what he said he would do. I think he is setting us up.

dragos240
October 4th, 2009, 07:44 AM
Also, I always thought ubuntu looked more orange. Compare the theme from warty to the theme in jaunty.

kevin11951
October 4th, 2009, 07:47 AM
Here is what I was talking about (from here "http://fridge.ubuntu.com/node/1831"):

The desktop will have a designer’s fingerprints all over it - we’re now beginning the serious push to a new look. Brown has served us well but the Koala is considering other options. Come to UDS for a preview of the whole new look.

Exodist
October 4th, 2009, 07:48 AM
If I am not mistaken Artwork has been finalized for the next release.
That being said I would like to hold on to the warm brown as its a calming color and original compaired to other distros. I would however like to see the orange color commonly used to be replaced with a soft blue color to compliment the brown and add some liveliness to the theme. The orange currently is not bright enough to give that effect.

dragos240
October 4th, 2009, 07:53 AM
Here is what I was talking about, we went from brown to orange.

Warty

Hardy

inobe
October 4th, 2009, 07:58 AM
the visuals are very nice, the theme set inspires a visualisation as a whole and offers dynamic characteristics, human nature.

linux for human beings

SunnyRabbiera
October 4th, 2009, 08:03 AM
Here is what I was talking about, we went from brown to orange.

Warty

Hardy

And to brown again in karmic it seems

cariboo
October 4th, 2009, 08:11 AM
I think the SADFL is messing with us. I found this amonst the Karmic themes, check it out. :) :) :)

Could this be the new Lucid colours?

SunnyRabbiera
October 4th, 2009, 08:17 AM
I think the SADFL is messing with us. I found this amonst the Karmic themes, check it out. :) :) :)

I hope not

blackmail
October 4th, 2009, 08:19 AM
Brown is for me kinda hard to live with, but i think the idea is original, and i would not like it otherwise at all. If i mighht say the number of themes available for ubuntu is so huge that everyone can find it's beloved look for the screen, and if we would compare it to the titan of PC's Windows, and the two most popular pets Windows 7 and Vista, well i'd say at first they look somewhat better bit if i take a visit to gnome-look that changes.

kevin11951
October 4th, 2009, 08:20 AM
If I am not mistaken Artwork has been finalized for the next release.
That being said I would like to hold on to the warm brown as its a calming color and original compaired to other distros. I would however like to see the orange color commonly used to be replaced with a soft blue color to compliment the brown and add some liveliness to the theme. The orange currently is not bright enough to give that effect.

The artwork freeze doesn't apply to Canonical. They had an experimental theme set as default for hardy until the release candidate, they replaced it with the original for the final release.

inobe
October 4th, 2009, 08:27 AM

it seems to be the thing for pre releases

Paqman
October 4th, 2009, 08:38 AM
Here is what I was talking about (from here "http://fridge.ubuntu.com/node/1831"):

The desktop will have a designer’s fingerprints all over it - we’re now beginning the serious push to a new look. Brown has served us well but the Koala is considering other options. Come to UDS for a preview of the whole new look.

The key phrase being "considering other options". Big difference between that and "brown is out".

Branding is important. I can't see Ubuntu changing from some kind of brown/orange theme anytime soon. We do need a default theme that differentiates us strongly from Windows and OS X, and brown/orange certainly does that. I don't think it's impossible to make a really slick looking theme in that palette.

moster
October 4th, 2009, 08:44 AM
I do not see any reason why they do not go completely south and choose darker theme.

After all, different/original is always good idea. All that blue crap is all washed up already.

Crunchy the Headcrab
October 4th, 2009, 08:45 AM
I don't think it's impossible to make a really slick looking theme in that palette.
It's not. They just haven't done it yet. However, Jaunty came pretty close. I like the orange loading bars, I think they look snazzy. I like the human icons too. The orangey-brown title bars don't cut it though.

HappinessNow
October 4th, 2009, 09:11 AM
Doesn't Mr. Shuttleworth pay somebody to pick the colors?

Khakilang
October 4th, 2009, 09:28 AM
To me its the OS that works and others is secondary. Unless I got nothing better to do than I will work on the color and theme and maybe change the whole look and feel. Now I just enjoy what has to offer.

Sean Moran
October 4th, 2009, 09:50 AM
Ask not what your koala can do for you, but what YOU CAN DO FOR YOUR KOALA! :):):)

ZuLuuuuuu
October 4th, 2009, 09:56 AM
AFAIK, Mark also said that next release (9.10) might not have the new theme but the other next release (10.04?) will definately have a new look. So most probably 9.10 won't have any big changes.

hanzomon4
October 4th, 2009, 10:22 AM
Ask not what your koala can do for you, but what YOU CAN DO FOR YOUR KOALA! :):):)

Yeah I'll do that when my Koala starts providing affordable health care and better public schools.

Sean Moran
October 4th, 2009, 10:30 AM
Yeah I'll do that when my Koala starts providing affordable health care and better public schools.
I've been incarcerated in both of those kinds of asylums among others in the past, and to tell you the truth (between you and I alone, of course) they both suck badly. Trust in your inner koala and be true, my friend!

credobyte
October 4th, 2009, 11:15 AM
Due to my video card settings, I've never seen Ubuntu in brown - it's always been orange :-)

3rdalbum
October 4th, 2009, 12:15 PM
AFAIK, Mark also said that next release (9.10) might not have the new theme but the other next release (10.04?) will definately have a new look.

I think the last four releases were meant to have new themes, and then they have been deferred to "the next release".

jrothwell97
October 4th, 2009, 01:21 PM
I think the last four releases were meant to have new themes, and then they have been deferred to "the next release".

Consider, though, that the last time Human had a "major" overhaul was at Dapper, the first LTS. It's undergone minor revisions since then (the most major change being for Karmic, with the replacement of the orangey colours with a more chocolate-coloured brown) but the LTS would certainly be a convenient time for a complete overhaul.

mybunche
October 4th, 2009, 04:10 PM
Actually I quite like the brown. On my Ubuntu 8.04, I have the default theme and wallpaper.

I don't care for the shade of brown for the windows though, but wait, they made it a nice darker brown for 9.10, just what I wanted.

I think brown is great for marketing, it unique and eye-catching, even if people don't like it. But must have an alternative attractive standard blue to keep people happy.

I hope they keep the brown theme, but there is heaps of for improvement. Karmic Koala is an improvement, even the icons. It is getting there.

phrostbyte
October 4th, 2009, 05:25 PM
Karmic is still brown, but it's a very nice theme. I can't bring myself to change its so good, and I usually change Ubuntu's theme as one of the first things I do. :)

phrostbyte
October 4th, 2009, 05:26 PM
AFAIK, Mark also said that next release (9.10) might not have the new theme but the other next release (10.04?) will definately have a new look. So most probably 9.10 won't have any big changes.

No the theme in Karmic is completely changed. Even the icons are different. Not saying they won't change it again in 10.04, but there was some massive changes this release..

hellmet
October 4th, 2009, 07:12 PM
Comparing the first Ubuntu theme I saw (Breezy) and Karmic, man, my OS looks so much better! MAJOR improvement in icons and the theme is so much more lively!

macogw
October 4th, 2009, 08:04 PM
And to brown again in karmic it seems

Huh? Karmic is even MORE orange. It's very very bright orange...slightly yellow in the upper right, even.

jrothwell97
October 4th, 2009, 08:12 PM
Huh? Karmic is even MORE orange. It's very very bright orange...slightly yellow in the upper right, even.

Not in the latest alphas, where it has become less orange and more dark chocolate-coloured brown.

macogw
October 4th, 2009, 08:30 PM
Not in the latest alphas, where it has become less orange and more dark chocolate-coloured brown.

Er...I just was using the Beta yesterday on my roommate's laptop. That wallpaper is incredibly bright. I jumped back and closed my eyes!

SunnyRabbiera
October 4th, 2009, 08:33 PM
Er...I just was using the Beta yesterday on my roommate's laptop. That wallpaper is incredibly bright. I jumped back and closed my eyes!

Not the wallpaper but the GDM screen and the GTK theme are brown/dark.

mikewhatever
October 4th, 2009, 10:29 PM
If you remember in the letter he wrote about karmic, he said we were leaving brown forever, but in the beta release, the theme is deep brown, with brown icons, and brown start-up screen. I think in the final release we will see a totally different theme w/o any brown at all!!!

Let me tell you something, good sir. It's not Mark, it's you that are messing with us. It's really simple, you take Mark's words, twist them out of their meaning, and then make your, I'd say rather poisonous blame. Do you really think anyone will buy it? If you are serious about it, do explain how you arrived to the 'leaving brown forever' conclusion.

Dullstar
October 4th, 2009, 10:57 PM
I kinda like my custom theme, though! Can I keep it?

kevin11951
October 4th, 2009, 11:01 PM
Let me tell you something, good sir. It's not you, it's Mark that are messing with us. It's really simple, he takes your words, twist them out of their meaning, and then makes his, I'd say rather poisonous blame. Did he really think anyone will buy it? If he is serious about it, he should explain how he arrived to the 'leaving brown forever' conclusion.

Your totally right, he should... :P

fela
October 4th, 2009, 11:04 PM
I've never bothered with the default theme in Ubuntu...

I like KDE4's default though :)

mikewhatever
October 4th, 2009, 11:12 PM
Your totally right, he should... :P

Now, I am afraid your reading comprehension is seriously lacking.

Exodist
October 4th, 2009, 11:18 PM

Troll Much?

kevin11951
October 4th, 2009, 11:30 PM

Read the quote please.

ikt
October 4th, 2009, 11:40 PM
Brown has served us well but the Koala is considering other options.

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel-announce/2009-February/000536.html

So he thinks Brown is doing ok, but they're looking at other types of colour schemes so it may change in karmic.

Didn't this follow up with they're not going to implement a new theme until Gnome 3/10.04 rolls around?

http://fridge.ubuntu.com/node/1916

It’s stylish and sleek, the bow-tie-adorned James Bond of the feline set, so you can bet we’ll make sure it’s dressed for the occasion.

I suggest until 10.04 rolls around you would be better getting knowledgeable with the theming options.

I think it's strange that windows and os x are extremely limited in their theming capabilities and no one complains about the look, yet linux is completely customisable from head to toe and the whining never stops.

kevin11951
October 4th, 2009, 11:43 PM
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel-announce/2009-February/000536.html

So he thinks Brown is doing ok, but they're looking at other types of colour schemes so it may change in karmic.

Didn't this follow up with they're not going to implement a new theme until Gnome 3/10.04 rolls around?

http://fridge.ubuntu.com/node/1916

I suggest until 10.04 rolls around you would be better getting knowledgeable with the theming options.

I think it's strange that windows and os x are extremely limited in their theming capabilities and no one complains about the look, yet linux is completely customisable from head to toe and the whining never stops.

Not the quote I meant... Read the quote in post #38 please. ](*,)