PDA

View Full Version : What has open source software enabled YOU to do?

Roasted
October 4th, 2009, 05:17 AM
I'm curious to know what you have been able to accomplish using open source software... from the most basic things to the crazy advanced things you might have done.

I've been able to help locate and get rid of a DNS trojan on our Windows network at work with the use of - Wireshark.

I've had the ability to customize my web browser to the max, unlike any other browser I've seen - Firefox.

I was able to create and print my resume which ultimately landed me an internship, which got me a step up with some experience under my belt that lead to a full time job using - Open Office.

I did not have spare computer, but I did have a program to allow me to run Windows 7 RC virtually to do testing with it to see if it was a viable upgrade option at work. Thanks, - Virtualbox.

I was able to chop up some pictures and make a digital collage of pictures of my girlfriend and I, which is still a work in progress, but turning out very nice. Thanks, - Gimp.

After an unfortunate HDD failure that my brother encountered, I rigged up spare hard drives in my computer (which runs Ubuntu full time) along with a file server service to allow ALL users in the household to automatically back up the contents of their My Documents folder at certain intervals of the day. Not only that, but this service also allows me to password protect each share, so ONLY the owner of the backed up documents can view them. That way the backups are as private as the data on the actual user's computer. Thanks, Samba.

And probably the most substantial thing of all, when I caught word we were upgrading nearly ALL computers of the school district I work for, I searched and searched and eventually found an open source Linux based cloning solution for Windows workstations known as FOG. I was able to image nearly 1,700 computers in a 2 month period, often times imaging an entire lab of computers in less than 30 minutes. Thanks - FOG.

And last, but most certainly not least, I've had the ultimate desktop user experience, providing me with endless eye candy, the best there is in user customization, and stability that surpasses anything else I've seen. Thanks - Ubuntu.

I'm sure there's a truckload more I could list, but that's enough to get started. What has open source software helped you accomplish?

Sean Moran
October 4th, 2009, 05:46 AM
All in all, it's freed me from the Windows 98 timewarp I'd been stuck in for around the last decade.
:)

JDShu
October 4th, 2009, 06:44 AM
Make my sister's HP Mini 2133 (which had a Via processor and Vista preinstalled) actually useable.

Spend no money on office software.

Allow me to learn programming skills easily and efficiently.

stwschool
October 4th, 2009, 06:49 AM
It's enabled me to learn much more about networking, a subject I'd previously had zero interest in.

Line_Break
October 4th, 2009, 07:26 AM
It has allowed me to smile. And To realize that life is worth living.
A little dramatic, but it is just the epitome of free speech to me, software for the people, by the people, and licensed by the people.

oboedad55
October 4th, 2009, 07:33 AM
It has allowed me to throw off the heavy shackles of the Microsoft monster.

chriskin
October 4th, 2009, 07:41 AM
It has allowed me to smile. And To realize that life is worth living.
A little dramatic, but it is just the epitome of free speech to me, software for the people, by the people, and licensed by the people.

(!)

@OP
using my laptop with something interesting to play with (4 first releases were kind of a game for me, changing stuff to learn how it works)

Sean Moran
October 4th, 2009, 07:41 AM
A quick thanks for thread and the consequent posts, and maybe one of the rare occasions to ever get 'dramatic', but last time I felt this glad on a Sunday I had to order a take-away pizza to afford it.
:popcorn:

Exodist
October 4th, 2009, 07:59 AM
What has open source software enabled YOU to do?
Live longer!

dragos240
October 4th, 2009, 08:01 AM
it has allowed me to smile. And to realize that life is worth living.

weegee!

inobe
October 4th, 2009, 08:01 AM
it set me free and changed my life forever, yes' no more struggling to found something worthy of a challenge.

blackmail
October 4th, 2009, 08:08 AM
It has greatly improved my concept about making money for a living! Open source software has a philosophy which incourages intelectual eveloping, in a manner that intelectual developing is seen as a far more great achievment than financial. I am not saying that financial development is not good but the development of a man to be focused so much on buget and so less on intelect is degrading. If you take a look at our decisions in life, we usually take them by measuring the amount of money they can generate afterwards. Good examples would be:
-university;
-job;
-eventually you own business;

And I didn't even start to tell you the benefits of actually working software...

dcclabough
October 4th, 2009, 08:09 AM
I make $50 / hr recovering data from unbootable machines using ubuntu live cd's and a usb hd...
I do other stuff too, but that one blows my mind. sooo easy, and I'm actually doing these people a favor, saving them hundreds of dollars (the IT game is a serious racket)... just move files, boot into recovery mode, reinstall crap windows... move files back... $100 bucks in my pocket and people run and tell their neighbors...
all that, and it is mutually beneficial. And since its open source, it falls outside of the capitalist mode of production. 2 birds...

Sean Moran
October 4th, 2009, 08:14 AM
I make $50 / hr recovering data from unbootable machines using ubuntu live cd's and a usb hd...
I do other stuff too, but that one blows my mind. sooo easy, and I'm actually doing these people a favor, saving them hundreds of dollars (the IT game is a serious racket)... just move files, boot into recovery mode, reinstall crap windows... move files back... $100 bucks in my pocket and people run and tell their neighbors...
all that, and it is mutually beneficial. And since its open source, it falls outside of the capitalist mode of production. 2 birds...
If you don't mind me saying, that is a bit like the extra 'tropical' ham&pineapple on the thinpan pizza, while still representing a good honest way to make a living.
:guitar:

Khakilang
October 4th, 2009, 08:51 AM
At last I am free from virus, spyware an malware and truly concentrate in what I suppose to do with computer. Create document, image processing, browsing, e-mails, download and lots more rather that spending time catching worms.

Now thats what I call free not in cost but in time spend.

-grubby
October 4th, 2009, 09:07 AM
It has enabled me to browse the web without using Trident
It has enabled me to program - Thanks to Python and many other languages
It has given me a free, stable server OS

I'd list more, but I'm feeling lazy.

toupeiro
October 4th, 2009, 09:54 AM
Given me an excellent career that provides a good life for myself, my wife, and our future child. Gives me more time at home with my family then I ever had supporting and developing in proprietary environments.

Viva
October 4th, 2009, 12:21 PM
Free software helped me create my own websites at bare minimum cost. Also, the internet wouldn't be what it is without free software.

stinger30au
October 4th, 2009, 12:23 PM
I'm curious to know what you have been able to accomplish using open source software... from the most basic things to the crazy advanced things you might have done.

it has let me keep my desktop pc for about 9 years now, just change hard drives every few years

it is a bit-sa i built using 2 gig of ram, a pentium 4 3 Ghz cpu and what ever hdd's i can lay my hands on and a dvd drive and a nvidia agp 550 agp video card

upgraded the video card a few years ago but pretty much aint changed in 9 years, oh yeah and the odd power supply replacement and fan replacement too but still the same rig

thanks open source for saving me new buying a new pc and letting me spend my moolah on my house instead!

cmay
October 4th, 2009, 12:39 PM
It has enabled me to learn a bit of programming . and to get a free audiorecording setup. and to fix old computers that was ditched to the wastebin by someone upgrading to windowsXP or vista.

and there for I learned a thing or two about free alternatives while playing around with old computers. I have seven of them right now. I could never ever afford to have seven computers running windows or any other non-free OS.

I will be giving away the four of the old computers when I find someone that wants them. I could not afford to give four computers away if they needed a license for windows either.

Lunx
October 4th, 2009, 01:03 PM
Allowed me to do things my way rather than theirs :)

Actually FOSS and Linux has allowed me to get a far better idea of what goes on inside the mysterious black box and also to work out how to get stuff done. I'm way more efficient/faster now in getting things done than I ever was in Windows in many respects.

dragos240
October 4th, 2009, 01:06 PM
Open source software has encouraged me to install gentoo! I love emerge.

TheLions
October 4th, 2009, 01:30 PM
Aircrack-ng any one?

Sean Moran
October 4th, 2009, 01:36 PM
Aircrack-ng any one?
I once clocked Galaga in my teens, but let's not talk about that right now,..

On the same sub/topic, back on the very first Vic20 I ever had, there was a game like Asteroids where you had to accelerate a spaceship at differrnt velocities around a rectangular title/splash/scoreboard and I don't remember the name of the game and it was well before Galaga and puberty really infected me, but what was its name and is there a version on U-AE or whatever that Amiga interpreter they have here is called?
---o0o---
Anyway, it's getting late so last post for the week from me, thanks for today's discussions and Goodnight.

PmDematagoda
October 4th, 2009, 02:26 PM
It rekindled the interest I used to have in computers(which was lost in using Windows only for games).

It allowed me to improve my skills in C(and programming overall) because the source was open and I was able to see how the upstream programmers did things which was really important since I was able to understand that you had to use a certain style when writing code to keep it consistent, and also it allowed me to learn about how to submit patches properly. Basically I did not have to waste money on expensive courses and books as every thing I ever needed was just a google away(although I did spend some money on a C reference book and a few others for convenience :P).

So open source software has really enabled me to do a lot and has opened up a great number of possibilities in my future, and I owe open source a lot.:)

fela
October 4th, 2009, 02:29 PM
It has allowed me to use my computer without either stealing software or buying it.

It's allowed me to take control over my system and use it the way I want, not the way Microsoft wants.

carusoswi
October 4th, 2009, 02:50 PM
I hadn't really thought about this question much, but I have had not a single yearning to purchase single upgrade or new software application since discovering/installing Ubuntu. I used to salivate for the altest twist in whatever new applications for Windows arrived on the scene, Photoshop, audio/video editing applications, desktop publishers, and even the latest Windows OS offering. Having blindly marched through the MS lineup of OS's, I finally was able to totally pass on Vista, have no interest in 7. I still keep XP in order to use two or three old aps that I still favor for certain tasks, but I will never spend money on another OS as long as Linux can fill the bill.

To be free of that treadmill where you spend a few hundred dollars to upgrade your OS which then won't work with your applications until you spend even more to upgrade them only to find out that either the new OS or the aps upgrades or both are buggy.

It is truly wonderful to be free of the need and/or yearing of that phony marketing scheme.

Caruso

Eisenwinter
October 4th, 2009, 03:29 PM
OSS has allowed me to become better at Perl, by being able to look at source code (obviously ;))

hessiess
October 4th, 2009, 03:31 PM
Pritymuch everything I have done in the last 3~ years.

schauerlich
October 4th, 2009, 05:39 PM
It's provided a solid foundation for my main OS, Mac OS X.