PDA

View Full Version : Why did you switch to *buntu?

BraedenNaylor
October 4th, 2009, 12:37 AM
Why did you switch to *buntu and do you use only ubuntu?

I'll start: Sick of vista problems, wanted something that actually ran. Correct drivers, no BSOD's, etc (begin long list of windows / vista problems.) Even after using mac for a year still using Ubuntu. W7 is looking better though..Redemption?

Ubuntu with windows 7 in VMware

NoaHall
October 4th, 2009, 12:41 AM
I wanted to unleash as much power from my hardware as possible. And because I like fiddling. Oh, and if you mean Ubuntu only, well, I started to use it after beginning with arch, and then I had a lot of space to mess around, so I installed Fedora and Ubuntu too.

Sean Moran
It was the first ever Linux distro that configured my ADSL transparently and no need to delve around in the /etc files like back with Mandrake 10, and in 2009, Windows 98 was getting a little óld' for modern times.

Rab22
When I first started really using Linux (Red Hat 7.x days) I was annoyed by the package management system (never liked RPM). I went to Gentoo for a while, and had a lot of fun building from stages, but it started to take too long to get needed software onto my computer. Someone on the GNOME forums brought up no-name-yet, so I started to follow it and read up on it. Eventually it became Ubuntu, and I've been using it since.

diesch
October 4th, 2009, 12:43 AM
I was using Debian and switched to Ubuntu when it seemed they'll never mange to release Debian sarge.

nubimax
October 4th, 2009, 12:52 AM
After the second time virus's ate my XP without the computer, ever being on line I knew I had to find some thing better. Now i have been on line for six months and no problems with virus.
M.

Omnios
October 4th, 2009, 12:54 AM
A long long time ago my computer was my toy but with XP I was thinking of getting a flower pot or aquarium screen saver so my computer would do something fun again but this cost money. Tried Ubuntu and my computer is my toy again and I am having fun with it. I'm kind of a techy so xp was just a bunch of buttons to push to me. Viruses and spyware scans where not fun also.

chriskin
October 4th, 2009, 12:57 AM

edit : NEVER move to another OS because the previous one was crappy, move there because the NEW one is worth it.
saying "vista was crappy" is wrong, it doesn't show why you chose ubuntu

BraedenNaylor
October 4th, 2009, 01:01 AM

edit : NEVER move to another OS because the previous one was crappy, move there because the NEW one is worth it.
saying "vista was crappy" is wrong, it doesn't show why you chose ubuntu

But i was simply trying ubuntu, I had no idea what it would be like until I used live CD / Installed it. I suppose you are right in some way because I am very happy with Ubuntu, besides no COD5 but that is manageable.

chriskin
October 4th, 2009, 01:04 AM
But i was simply trying ubuntu, I had no idea what it would be like until I used live CD / Installed it. I suppose you are right in some way because I am very happy with Ubuntu, besides no COD5 but that is manageable.

why didn't you choose some other distribution though? or bsd, open-solaris, etc etc ?

the answer to that is the reason why you started using ubuntu :)

fela
October 4th, 2009, 01:06 AM
I didn't. It was the first operating system I used on my own computer.

Then I switched to Debian.

grturner
October 4th, 2009, 01:13 AM
i've been using ubuntu for a little less than a year. I started out on redhat 7.3 back in 2002ish. I've used redhat, redhat enterprise, fedora, freebsd, gentoo, debian, and now ubuntu. My main desktop is dual boot with vista but my laptop is 100 percent ubuntu(which i'm on most of the time)

I started on linux to run a webserver.

I switched to ubuntu because I got sick of tirelessly fiddling with other distros and ubuntu just seems to work the best out of the box.

asbestosmoth3314
October 4th, 2009, 01:16 AM
Because I was tired of Windows XP taking five minutes to boot and load services. With Ubuntu, I can be up and running in 60 seconds.

I still dual boot WinXP, mostly for games and things I can't get to work easily in Ubuntu.

TheGreenFox
October 4th, 2009, 01:16 AM
I wanted to try linux in general, so I setup a computer and installed mandriva. I had problems so I googled them, lo and behold I every time I found the solution on the ubuntu forums. So I switched to ubuntu because you guys had all the answers. To this day I've never looked back.:lolflag:

SpriteSODA
October 4th, 2009, 01:27 AM
wanted to expericene something new and get to know linux.
i'm using Ubuntu for almost a year now and see no reason to go back to Windows, don't even keep a Windows on an other drive, just on VirtualBox when i need to brwose some crappy sites which doesnt support anything other than crappy IE6 (quite common in Israel unforunately).

SomeGuyDude
October 4th, 2009, 02:08 AM
I'm lame. I kept losing my Windows discs and wanted an OS I didn't have to pirate and patch to make work if I couldn't find my original install disc.

Plus, yeah, there was a little remnant of my former desire to do things geeky.

earthpigg
October 4th, 2009, 02:19 AM
got a new computer.

came with vista.

vista told me i could only change my dvd region 5 times, then i was stuck with the final choice.

the workaround, of course, was VLC. why should i need a workaround?

every dvd i own was legally purchased while living in a given continent (aka dvd region code).

in other words: Microsoft ordered me to throw away 2/3 of my dvd collection (3 region codes of DVDs)

no, sir, i will not. where is that 'linux' cd someone gave me...

mamamia88
October 4th, 2009, 03:30 AM
friend who wouldn't shut up about his mac book pro. couldn't afford macbook pro but became interested in alternative operating systems and gave it a try

doas777
October 4th, 2009, 03:36 AM
I switched because after trying to work with HP and MS to address some issues, and being told catagorically that I "Could Not" do things like downgrade to xp or uninstall hp bundled software, I realized that I was not in control of my laptop; they (HP and MS) were.

anonymous_user
October 4th, 2009, 03:47 AM
I wanted to try Linux and I went to Ubuntu because it was a popular distro. I also tried other distros like Fedora and Mandriva but I much prefered Ubuntu's package management and programs so I stayed with it.

praveesh
October 4th, 2009, 04:42 AM
Nvidia driver, .deb , kde 4.3 and freedom