PDA

View Full Version : The I think Mark Shuttleworth is a super hero thread.

Omnios
October 4th, 2009, 12:12 AM
To show some appreciation petition wise this is the I think Mark Shuttleworth is a super hero thread. I am not into pop starts , rock stars or sports stars all that much but in my view Mark Shuttleworth is kind of a star and has done a lot of good in this world. Super hero wise in fighting the forces of evil and giving freedom to the desktop of users all over the world. Is he a ubber geek super star , super hero?

What is your view on this?

schauerlich
October 4th, 2009, 12:19 AM
In before sexism joke.

Dharmachakra
October 4th, 2009, 12:19 AM
He's just a person who created a company that provides commercial support for open source software and once paid his way in to space.

Omnios
October 4th, 2009, 12:25 AM
Looking as I use open source and all the good I am not condemning someone because of a sexism joke. Srry I made so many mistakes in my life I would have to go into hiding. Jesus taught me that.

Frak
October 4th, 2009, 12:26 AM
In before sexism joke.
Close the air-thingy Scotty!

Rab22
October 4th, 2009, 12:32 AM
In before sexism joke.

Close the air-thingy Scotty!

I'm confused :)

JC Cheloven
October 4th, 2009, 12:33 AM
If a person is able to expose its personal fortune and easy-living to help growing a nice ideal which implies benefit for the whole society, I'll be with him.
If a group of people is able to offer their time and huge knowlegdments for free, to help growing a nice common project which implies benefit for the whole society, I'll be with them.

So I'm at Ubuntu. So I'm at floss.
Super hero? Why not... it's just a world for someone special.

Omnios
October 4th, 2009, 12:44 AM
If a person is able to expose its personal fortune and easy-living to help growing a nice ideal which implies benefit for the whole society, I'll be with him.
If a group of people is able to offer their time and huge knowlegdments for free, to help growing a nice common project which implies benefit for the whole society, I'll be with them.

So I'm at Ubuntu. So I'm at floss.
Super hero? Why not... it's just a world for someone special.

Ya its just a word for someone special is what I meant.

steveneddy
October 4th, 2009, 01:28 AM
I'm already there, dude.

juancarlospaco
October 4th, 2009, 02:22 AM
He is very smart person, their projects soon or later are sucessful...

I know that too much people doing big efforts to contribute with Linux,
i hear people saying that only thing that Mark does is
"puting all Linux advance togheter on a nice form, and no focus on contribute to the Kernel"
but these is the point, this is what Linux need on desktop ;
since Linux a long time ago already has every component needed to build a sucessfull Desktop,
but need a "human" touch, integration and sensible small changes,
we dont need cutting edge programs for geek-only,
we dont need compile-it-yourself distro for teaching how to use a PC,
we dont need a pay distro if people doesnt know whats Linux,
we dont need a bloated DVD with naked girls wallpapers just for write documents at the office.

we need a Linux for Human Beings...

:)

dragos240
October 4th, 2009, 02:29 AM
How many posts about Mark have been started in the past few days?

fela
October 4th, 2009, 02:30 AM
Yes, I think Mark Shuttleworth is a great guy because of what he has done for the Linux community using his wealth.

About the sexism foot-in-mouth incident: sure he made a mistake in what he said. But to everyone out there: think of everything you've ever said, have you not EVER said anything mildly sexist? Also I believe actions speak alot louder than words and what he's done for Linux is an extremely good thing.

So yeah, I look up to him alot and if I was a billionaire like him I'd probably want to do a similar project - or maybe I'd just donate it all to the free software foundation :)

fela
October 4th, 2009, 02:31 AM
How many posts about Mark have been started in the past few days?

2 to the power of 16.

I didn't use a calculator :P now THAT is what you call YKYAGW :)

Exodist
October 4th, 2009, 02:37 AM
I really appreciate the contributions Mark has put into the open source community. Yes Ubuntu is an investment for him, but its an investment with goals I am equally passionate about.

BURN M$ BURN!!!

ViperChief
October 4th, 2009, 02:38 AM
2 to the power of 16.

Because everyone loves a show off.

Boom!!!
October 4th, 2009, 02:47 AM
Well he's a British citizen so yeah, he has to be a super hero. :guitar:

blatestbla
October 4th, 2009, 02:57 AM
He's a cool dude. I kinda wish he'd take a more direct role in the development of Ubuntu though, kinda like Jobs does with Apple and OS X. There's still too many stupid design decisions being made (eg. the decision to disable touchpad's tap-to-click by default, despite the fact everyone on Windows and OS X expects it by default unless otherwise disabled, and will assume Ubuntu is broken if it doesn't work out of the box). If he decides to take a bit more of a public leadership role, I think things will improve much more rapidly.

Exodist
October 4th, 2009, 03:02 AM
He's a cool dude. I kinda wish he'd take a more direct role in the development of Ubuntu though, kinda like Jobs does with Apple and OS X. There's still too many stupid design decisions being made (eg. the decision to disable touchpad's tap-to-click by default, despite the fact everyone on Windows and OS X expects it by default unless otherwise disabled, and will assume Ubuntu is broken if it doesn't work out of the box). If he decides to take a bit more of a public leadership role, I think things will improve much more rapidly.

I agree with you on that.

schauerlich
October 4th, 2009, 03:11 AM

I don't think the community at large would be okay with Mark stepping into a more forceful role.

Exodist
October 4th, 2009, 03:20 AM
I don't think the community at large would be okay with Mark stepping into a more forceful role.

Not forceful, but more influential.

Now mind you Developers in general are not always Interface Designers, some ideas that they may have are not always a smart moves with regards to Human to PC interaction. It would be nice if we had someone full time on the forums that could be a liaison between users and devs to help fine tune Ubuntu Development. It would be a win win for everyone. Would be great if Mark could fill this role, but it would prob be better if it was someone with a degree in Psychology and minor in programming.

Omnios
October 4th, 2009, 03:35 AM
Forceful involvement is rarely good in a project on this scale.

But seeing as he is like batman has a lot of robins and runs a lot of super computers a more hands on approach may be appreciated

wilee-nilee
October 4th, 2009, 06:32 AM
Well he's a British citizen so yeah, he has to be a super hero. :guitar:

Don't let the accent fool you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Shuttleworth

blatestbla
October 4th, 2009, 07:19 AM
Don't let the accent fool you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Shuttleworth

He currently lives in London and holds dual citizenship of South Africa and the United Kingdom.:)

nike984
October 4th, 2009, 08:59 AM
He is very smart person, their projects soon or later are sucessful...

I know that too much people doing big efforts to contribute with Linux,
i hear people saying that only thing that Mark does is
"puting all Linux advance togheter on a nice form, and no focus on contribute to the Kernel"
but these is the point, this is what Linux need on desktop ;
since Linux a long time ago already has every component needed to build a sucessfull Desktop,
but need a "human" touch, integration and sensible small changes,
we dont need cutting edge programs for geek-only,
we dont need compile-it-yourself distro for teaching how to use a PC,
we dont need a pay distro if people doesnt know whats Linux,
we dont need a bloated DVD with naked girls wallpapers just for write documents at the office.

we need a Linux for Human Beings...

can't agree more

HappinessNow
October 4th, 2009, 09:06 AM
Super hero or just a sandwich?

Khakilang
October 4th, 2009, 09:23 AM
He create an OS that is helpful, safe and easy to use and help others save not only money but time. And free us from being tied with propreitary software that is costly, slow and unsafe. Yeah I think he is some kind of hero of sort.

Hallvor
October 4th, 2009, 09:33 AM
To show some appreciation petition wise this is the I think Mark Shuttleworth is a super hero thread. I am not into pop starts , rock stars or sports stars all that much but in my view Mark Shuttleworth is kind of a star and has done a lot of good in this world. Super hero wise in fighting the forces of evil and giving freedom to the desktop of users all over the world. Is he a ubber geek super star , super hero?

What is your view on this?

Why don`t you make your own cult around him?

fela
October 4th, 2009, 11:27 AM
Because everyone loves a show off.

Can't argue with you there :)

Although I knew that number for a perfectly legitimate reason: I've been programming a 16 bit microchip.

stinger30au
October 4th, 2009, 12:14 PM
i thank Mark for putting Ubuntu together

a damn fine project

thanks Mark

ikt
October 4th, 2009, 01:10 PM
i thank mark for putting ubuntu together

a damn fine project

thanks mark

+1

juancarlospaco
October 4th, 2009, 01:42 PM
We will fight the Imperium, may the source be with you my young padawan...

Bachstelze
October 4th, 2009, 03:50 PM
In before sexism joke.

eh makes sexist jokes and doesn't afraid of anything?

ceti331
October 4th, 2009, 05:10 PM
>>Yes, I think Mark Shuttleworth is a great guy because of what he has done >>for the Linux community using his wealth.

the cynic might say ...
(i) he's made a load of money, but not as much as bill gates, so he's jealous.
=> his way of getting at gates is to work on *undermining him* as a hobby, by promoting linux.

the side effect is we get ubuntu, so it works out well :). but a lot of opensource is like this isn't it - heirachical "my enemys enemy is my friend" - any NON microsoft software company has a common interest in using it's own resources to further any form of open-source in an area where they are not trying to compete

Frak
October 4th, 2009, 05:12 PM
eh makes sexist jokes and doesn't afraid of anything?
I doesn't afraids anything either.

SuperSonic4
October 4th, 2009, 05:13 PM
2 to the power of 16.

65,535 would have been more YKYAGW as in most cases there is a value for 0 :p

Why is Shuttleworth a hero? He essentially plagiarised debian.

schauerlich
October 4th, 2009, 05:19 PM
Why is Shuttleworth a hero? He essentially plagiarised debian.

Um. You do know how open source software works, right?

dmn_clown
October 4th, 2009, 05:22 PM
He just repackaged Debian. Others have done that before, more will probably do so in the future. Now if he'd use his money to bring more women into open source development, and show that he really isn't holding onto outdated discriminatory practices, maybe...

SuperSonic4
October 4th, 2009, 05:22 PM
Um. You do know how open source software works, right?

Yes I also know plagiarism is the act of taking someone else's work and passing it off as your own.

schauerlich
October 4th, 2009, 05:25 PM
Yes I also know plagiarism is the act of taking someone else's work and passing it off as your own.

When the work is licensed to allow that, it's no longer plagiarism.

Bachstelze
October 4th, 2009, 05:31 PM

Except that passing it off as your own, even when permitted by the license, isn't permitted by law in most jurisdictions, so the licence is void in that regard.

schauerlich
October 4th, 2009, 05:33 PM
Except that passing it off as your own, even when permitted by the license, isn't permitted by law in most jurisdictions, so the licence is void in that regard.

When has Mark et al claimed that Ubuntu wasn't Debian or Linux based, and was all written by the Ubuntu team? The argument is moot.

Frak
October 4th, 2009, 05:37 PM
When has Mark et al claimed that Ubuntu wasn't Debian or Linux based, and was all written by the Ubuntu team? The argument is moot.
English Muffin.

Bachstelze
October 4th, 2009, 05:40 PM

lolwut?

schauerlich
October 4th, 2009, 05:40 PM
English Muffin.

Joeb454 is a delicious english muffin.

Boom!!!
October 4th, 2009, 05:41 PM
:-s It looks like someone got out of the wrong side of bed today.

macogw
October 4th, 2009, 08:11 PM

Except the copyright notices aren't being stripped, so it's not plagiarism. Duh.

Also:
Debian gets a scat-load of testing from Ubuntu users. All the people running Ubuntu during unstable and immediately after release? The bugs they report and that Ubuntu Developers fix? Those patches go to Debian and help get packages in Sid/Unstable into better shape for Testing and eventually Stable.

Bachstelze
October 4th, 2009, 08:14 PM
Except the copyright notices aren't being stripped, so it's not plagiarism. Duh.

*sigh*

I was answering to EDavidBurg, who said passing a work off as your own wasn't plagiarism if the licence allowed it. The post didn't mention Debian or Ubuntu.

ikt
October 4th, 2009, 08:54 PM
He just repackaged Debian. Others have done that before, more will probably do so in the future.

I disagree with your suggestion that Ubuntu is just Debian repackaged as a lot (a lot) of bug fixes have gone upstream and back into Debian, thus using your base for 'repackaging', one could losely call debian "just a repackaged version of ubuntu." :lolflag:

Now if he'd use his money to bring more women into open source development

So you're saying that if we throw enough money at women they'll come into FOSS?

That's not shallow at all.

RichardLinx
October 4th, 2009, 09:32 PM
I have a poster of him on my wall, and his face is set as my Ubuntu wallpaper. /sarcasm

Mark Shuttleworth is great though, he seems like a cool guy and he founded a great distribution.

Tux Aubrey
October 4th, 2009, 10:18 PM
There really should be a Mark Shuttleworth Action Figure in the Ubuntu shop. Also a Mark figurine set - "bearded casual Mark", "astronaut Mark", "Mark in Tuxedo accepting an award", "Mark ripping open his shirt exposing an ubuntu logo over flexing pecs", "Mark reclining naked". We could collect sets of them!

I draw the line at the life-size blow-up Mark doll. That would be sick and open to abuse with third-party mods. But, on second thoughts, how cool would it be to have him in your passenger seat for Transit Lanes? Maybe we could just have a "waist-up" version.

wilee-nilee
October 4th, 2009, 10:23 PM
Doesn't a super hero generally wear a Cape.

Junkieman
October 4th, 2009, 10:38 PM
He's an entrepreneur first and foremost

I recon he did a great job at using his company's resources to bring the Linux community one step closer together.

He pushed against the mainstream OS and that is admirable!

ikt
October 4th, 2009, 10:50 PM

Not necessarily.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superhero

Normally, superheroes use their powers to police day-to-day crime while also combating threats against humanity by supervillains, who as their name implies are criminals of "unprecedented powers" in the same way that superheroes are crime fighters with "unprecedented powers".

So if Mark were a super hero what would his powers? and who would his enemy be..?

wilee-nilee
October 4th, 2009, 10:58 PM
I guess your are correct.
http://shaistathinks.wordpress.com/2009/08/08/not-all-super-heroes-wear-capes%E2%80%A6/

The heroes journey is one that can be emulated by us all.

RichardLinx
October 4th, 2009, 10:58 PM
Not necessarily.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superhero

So if Mark were a super hero what would his powers? and who would his enemy be..?

I heard he secretly trains with Chuck Norris for an as of yet unknown enemy, highly suspected to be none other then Bill Gates who surpassed and ruthlessly defeated his trainer, Bruce Lee.

I see a great battle coming.

starcannon
October 5th, 2009, 12:14 AM
Here we see him exposing his super suit:
http://blogubuntero.files.wordpress.com/2007/07/mark-shuttleworth-linuxtag-2.jpg

wilee-nilee
October 5th, 2009, 12:58 AM
Here we see him exposing his super suit:
http://blogubuntero.files.wordpress.com/2007/07/mark-shuttleworth-linuxtag-2.jpg

No spndex hmm. ;)

Omnios
October 6th, 2009, 09:53 PM
No spndex hmm. ;)

He he I want a super KDE shirt.