PDA

View Full Version : New amazing gmail feature! Google will rule the world :)

sapo
February 11th, 2006, 02:24 AM
Hi all, i dont know if this was already posted here but since yesterday my gmail is with this new and amazing feature:

http://img399.imageshack.us/img399/9542/screenshot4gd.th.jpg (http://img399.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screenshot4gd.jpg)

Now users of google talk can have a IM inside the gmail window, its ajax so you dont need anything, just open up your gmail account and you are talking!

I loved this stuff, cause i dont like sending emails and at my work icq, msn and other instant messengers are blocked, but if they block gmail, heads will start to roll there :evil:

I dont know why, but this feature isnt available for everyone, so, who like me is already using it?

bluevoodoo1
February 11th, 2006, 02:27 AM
Looks cool! Too bad I don't have a gmail account...

sapo
February 11th, 2006, 02:28 AM
Looks cool! Too bad I don't have a gmail account...
if you want a invite just send me your mail via pm :)

bluevoodoo1
February 11th, 2006, 02:32 AM
if you want a invite just send me your mail via pm :)

THANKS! PM sent!

majikstreet
February 11th, 2006, 02:37 AM
yawn..

I supposedly have it, but I don't see it in my gmail lol.. though maybe it's because i'm logged into gtalk on gaim! nope that's not it!

but I did get the message in gaim when someone imed me through gmail chat... it's google talk in gmail!

benplaut
February 11th, 2006, 02:45 AM
yeah... it's not in everyone's yet, the announcment said it should be rolled out for the masses in a few days

Virogenesis
February 11th, 2006, 02:47 AM
i see it its a nice feature too bad i won't be using it mind I have meebo for when i'm on my travels and when at home I use gaim.
Its good I guess if you're at work and don't know of services like meebo I just wonder if you can have jabber contacts.

Sp@z
February 11th, 2006, 02:53 AM
I have gmail, but with all the privacy stuff going on NONE of my friends do. freekin Llamas.........they have to have gmail as well right?

majikstreet
February 11th, 2006, 03:05 AM
yeah... it's not in everyone's yet, the announcment said it should be rolled out for the masses in a few days
When I logged in today, it said that I have it...

sapo
February 11th, 2006, 03:43 PM
i see it its a nice feature too bad i won't be using it mind I have meebo for when i'm on my travels and when at home I use gaim.
Its good I guess if you're at work and don't know of services like meebo I just wonder if you can have jabber contacts.
I use meebo at work too, but this thing inside gmail is good too, cause i m always with gmail opened, so instead of sending an email to talk to someone i can just IM him :)

briancurtin
February 11th, 2006, 06:51 PM
i dont want gmail having access to my personal chats. they can have my emails, as i dont use gmail for anything important, so ill take ads on those emails as long as it stays a nice, big, and free webmail.

Lord Illidan
February 11th, 2006, 06:55 PM
I don't use Googletalk, though.. I have to use MSN Messenger because my friends use it. Otherwise, it would seem like a good feature to me.

Not too worried about privacy..we rarely talk about important things.

imagine
February 11th, 2006, 07:12 PM
I have gmail, but with all the privacy stuff going on NONE of my friends do. freekin Llamas.........they have to have gmail as well right?No, Google Talk uses the Jabber network [1]. It's free and open unlike the Micros~1 or AOL networks, so everybody can use it. You don't have to use anything from Google.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jabber

Derek Djons
February 11th, 2006, 09:00 PM
I'm certainly not going to use Googletalk. It's already bad enough people are 'watching' your instant messaging soap, now they can also watch your email :S

I like that all my applications are separated for a couple of reasons:

1. I can terminate apps I'm not using, maintaining overview and freeing up resources.
2. If one goes down, the other keep working.
3. If I forget to logout or someone cracks my password it's just one application and set of data.

sapo
February 11th, 2006, 10:52 PM
I think you guys are too paranoid.

What are you doing? planning a terrorist attack so if someone read your conversations you are going to be arrested or they are going to ruin your plans?

I dont freaking care about my privacy, all my bank accounts, and stuff that really matters are stored in "my" memory, not in my pc or in a email account, and if you guys feel safe with other proprietary crap out there, i dont, so i dont trust anything, and dont trusting anything i can use everything, if they want to read my logs, i dont care, there is nothing important in there.

But if you are going to think about privacy, please do yourself a favor and pull out your network cable and never plug it in again.

briancurtin
February 11th, 2006, 10:58 PM
I think you guys are too paranoid.

What are you doing? planning a terrorist attack so if someone read your conversations you are going to be arrested or they are going to ruin your plans?

I dont freaking care about my privacy, all my bank accounts, and stuff that really matters are stored in "my" memory, not in my pc or in a email account, and if you guys feel safe with other proprietary crap out there, i dont, so i dont trust anything, and dont trusting anything i can use everything, if they want to read my logs, i dont care, there is nothing important in there.

But if you are going to think about privacy, please do yourself a favor and pull out your network cable and never plug it in again.
no, id just prefer that sensitive, private conversations are kept private. some people use computers for 'important' things. you dont seem to realize that, or you dont use one for anything 'important.' (not saying you dont do important things that arent important to you, im using important relating to sensitive data)

about your attitude in that post: do yourself a favor and dont just pull out the network cable, pull every cable out.

CospeFogo
February 11th, 2006, 11:39 PM
Olha o lusofono recebendo o famoso e-mail do cuzinho da sorte :D

Othersider
February 11th, 2006, 11:52 PM
I don't get a talk dialog using Firefox 1.5 in Breezy, but if I'm running the same browser in Windows I can use Google talk within Gmail. Any idea why?

edit: PROBLEM SOLVED, this was a result of a plugin (CustomizeGoogle) that forced a secure connection (https). Apparently you can't talk that way.

sapo
February 12th, 2006, 12:34 AM
No, i not plugging anything out, i use IM to chat with people for fun, you wanna read my logs? they are all about asking other how do i do this or that.. or if someone have a torrent to download something and stuff like that.

I care about my privacy, but i dont think that anyone in the world would lose time to read the instant messages that people are trading around the world, just try to imagine how many IMs are being typed while you read this crap i m writing here.

This idea is like that old hoax that talked about the pentagon logging all emails and phone calls, thats just nuts.

majikstreet
February 12th, 2006, 03:03 AM
I don't get a talk dialog using Firefox 1.5 in Breezy, but if I'm running the same browser in Windows I can use Google talk within Gmail. Any idea why?

edit: PROBLEM SOLVED, this was a result of a plugin (CustomizeGoogle) that forced a secure connection (https). Apparently you can't talk that way.
thanks! I had the same problem... I read that it only works on http:// but I went to http://www.gmail.com and it always redirected me.... *duh*

potrick
February 12th, 2006, 03:45 AM
There's a really good howto here about how to get MSN and AIM working in oogle talk. I got it set up and now they are both working in Gmail. Really handy when at someone else's computer or in the office.

the howto:
http://www.bigblueball.com/forums/google-talk-news/33739-connect-google-talk-aim-msn-yahoo.html

briancurtin
February 12th, 2006, 05:05 AM
No, i not plugging anything out, i use IM to chat with people for fun, you wanna read my logs? they are all about asking other how do i do this or that.. or if someone have a torrent to download something and stuff like that.

I care about my privacy, but i dont think that anyone in the world would lose time to read the instant messages that people are trading around the world, just try to imagine how many IMs are being typed while you read this crap i m writing here.

This idea is like that old hoax that talked about the pentagon logging all emails and phone calls, thats just nuts.
that is not at all what i am talking about, at all. i do not think anyone working for google would read my potential chat logs, in which i talk about more sensitive things than "how do i do this." however, if someone was to get my passwords, they have access to my logs which are stored and can be reached from anywhere on the internet. im not worried about protecting myself from google, its everyone else (not the pentagon either, regular people who have reason to want to see what im talking about).

the idea is not at all like any hoax, and because you cannot realize that or anything, i am done acknowleding your posts in this thread. go ahead, get the last word.