PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] bookmarks going into a subfolder after update

mixmadmen
October 3rd, 2009, 07:32 PM
Heya. I just had a silly problem but stumbled across something that fixed it. I get the feeling some others might run into this problem so I decided to post the symptoms and solution which worked for me. :)

I don't normally post this stuff when I find it, but I can tell it might nag at some people's organizational pet-peves, as it did mine. I can't find any thread that mentions this exact issue, but if there is one, my apologies for the repeat.

I am running Hardy Heron. Everything related to this such as Gnome, Nautilus, etc, are all pretty standard. no customizations.

sorry if it calls for a TLDR. lol

What happened is that I ran a new update last night while working on something that kept a folder open the entire time. This folder was not yet listed in my Places dropdown, and never has been. I had Home, Desktop, Documents, Music, Videos, Pictures, and one folder for a commonly visited ftp host. The folder I had open the entire time was THE PILLOWS.

When the update finished, the entire list of places were replaced with a new subfolder called Bookmarks, so instead of clocking Places and having them listed there for quick navigating, I had to mouse over Bookmarks and select from a list. It also added THE PILLOWS to the list for some unknown reason.

After trying a number of things to fix it I happened across this which, while a solution for a slightly different issue, provides a solution that also works for this issue:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=643219

The last comment in that thread mentions opening any folder and going to Bookmarks>Edit Bookmarks.
If you go there and move even one folder so that they are sorted differently, the Bookmarks folder that mysteriously ate all of your items listed in Places will disappear!
:D A happy accident.

Im not sure if this actually uncovers a bug or not, but it may qualify as a bug since some people might actually WANT that little bookmarks folder in their Places dropdown, and if they mess with the sorting it will cause it to vanish.

However, for those who are anal about the organization of your things, this is a solution for that silly thing that most likely happened to you last night if you ran the update.

Thanks, and happy sorting.