PDA

View Full Version : [wubi] If I try the 9.10 beta, will I still be able to remove it later with wubi?

Missing_Number
October 3rd, 2009, 03:28 PM
I have Wubi Ubuntu 9.04. If I install the Ubuntu 9.10 beta, then will I still be able to uninstall it later using the uninstall Ubuntu feature with Wubi on Windows XP?

Better yet, if I try out the beta, will I be able to revert back to 9.04 later?

Thanks for your help.

raymondh
October 3rd, 2009, 03:33 PM
I have Wubi Ubuntu 9.04. If I install the Ubuntu 9.10 beta, then will I still be able to uninstall it later using the uninstall Ubuntu feature with Wubi on Windows XP?

Better yet, if I try out the beta, will I be able to revert back to 9.04 later?

Thanks for your help.

- If you install thru wubi, you ought to add/remove thru wubi. Do not forget to edit the boot.ini file as well.

I don't know (in WUBI) if installing 9.10 will erase 9.04. I may be wrong. If it does, I don't think you can do a downgrade and will require a fresh re-install.

If this is just an experiment, why not just make a persistent USB thumb drive and use it in live mode? That way, you don't mess with your existing 9.04.

Missing_Number
October 3rd, 2009, 03:35 PM
I am a tech neophyte and cannot partition a hard drive for my life, let alone make a USB image.

Thank you, though. I won't try it. I'll wait until Wubi 9.10 comes out, uninstall my current Wubi, and install the new one. That's the only safe way, I guess.

raymondh
October 3rd, 2009, 03:41 PM
I am a tech neophyte and cannot partition a hard drive for my life, let alone make a USB image.

Thank you, though. I won't try it. I'll wait until Wubi 9.10 comes out, uninstall my current Wubi, and install the new one. That's the only safe way, I guess.

Hi.

We all are "new to this". It (the newness) makes it exciting to try and learn how to make a persistent USB thumb drive. Unetbootin comes to mind. Just don't choose "install" until you are ready to.

9.10 is still in BETA. It is still not for production use. Should you be tempted, pls. have a back-up strategy in place first. Irregardless, we all should have back-ups' ;)

Good luck.