PDA

View Full Version : How much it cost for creating a new & complete Ubuntu theme?

MIH1406
October 3rd, 2009, 11:20 AM
Hi All,

How much does it cost for creating a new, clear, attractive & very complete theme for Ubuntu (GNOME).

Complete means:
- Controls
- Colors
- Window Borders
- Icons
- Pointers

And where can I found someone to do this for me?

Thanks,
Mohammad

Sean Moran
October 3rd, 2009, 11:24 AM
Hi All,

How much does it cost for creating a new, clear, attractive & very complete theme for Ubuntu (GNOME).

Complete means:
- Controls
- Colors
- Window Borders
- Icons
- Pointers

Thanks,
Mohammad
It is more than I could hope to achieve before Sunday ends, but if I'd be happy to spend next week researching the technicalities and hopefully put something together by the ned of next week, just for the fun of it. Do you have a style in mind?

froggyswamp
October 3rd, 2009, 11:39 AM
The new release of Ubuntu comes out October 29 (in a few weeks), it features a new and modern set of icons, new colors, splash and so on. Just wait for it or try the beta, you might like the new revamped look.
More info:
http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/karmic/beta

Sean Moran
October 3rd, 2009, 11:42 AM
The new release of Ubuntu comes out October 29 (in a few weeks), it features a new and modern set of icons, new colors, splash and so on. Just wait for it or try the beta, you might like the new revamped look.
More info:
http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/karmic/beta
I am currently working from the flawlwss beta of Karmic, and that is the essence of October.

starcannon
October 3rd, 2009, 12:57 PM
It costs time.

MIH1406
October 5th, 2009, 03:51 AM
I mean MONY guys I know it costs time

Sean Moran
October 5th, 2009, 03:54 AM
That would complicate things a little. Good luck with it. :popcorn:

Exodist
October 5th, 2009, 04:03 AM
Hi All,

Complete means:
- Controls
- Colors
- Window Borders
- Icons
- Pointers

Thanks,
Mohammad

Depends on what you want. I do themes in my spare time. But for the most part they are artistic work. So they come to the artist making them more so then just on demand designing. Although many of us keep spare artwork that can be changed the fly to make a usable theme that looks nice when needed.

steveneddy
October 5th, 2009, 04:27 AM

Me thinks OP is troll.

Mr. Picklesworth
October 5th, 2009, 04:47 AM
Me thinks OP is troll.

Where did that come from?!

Tipped OuT
October 5th, 2009, 05:00 AM

Yeah seriously...

@ OP

It all depends on the person. I would charge you nothing. I enjoy graphical arts, because it's a hobby for me. Unfortunately, I don't have the time nor the computer,at the moment, to do this for you.

pwnst*r
October 5th, 2009, 05:03 AM
Me thinks OP is troll.

then you're over thinking it.

Exodist
October 5th, 2009, 05:04 AM
There is prob a theme on Gnome-look that would work nice anyway. I just uploaded a new one also. So take a look there and may just save you some money.

DeadSuperHero
October 5th, 2009, 01:37 PM
I think it depends on two factors:

1.) How much you're willing to spend.

2.) How much the artist is willing to be paid for.

If both of these strike a good balance with each other and the artist does well on his commission, I think it's entirely possible to pump out all sorts of high-quality themes due to the time the artist has now set aside to make the theme.

Personally, if I were the artist I'd demand maybe 100-200 USD for a commission, and as the person paying I think I'd be willing to pay about the same amount.

That said, some people just like doing it for free. Look up Macchiato, Giant Speck made it in his spare time and it's an exceptional theme.

SomeGuyDude
October 5th, 2009, 01:58 PM

Well for this kinda work, time IS money. If you're gonna pay someone, it's dependent on length, and it's the icon set that's going to take the longest. GTK themes (unless you're talking a from-scratch pixmap theme) are pretty easy.

chriskin
October 5th, 2009, 02:04 PM

around here, everyone is a troll
at least once in every thread (even support ones sometimes :P) someone will call the OP a troll

MIH1406
October 5th, 2009, 09:35 PM
First, I do not know what does 'troll' means.

A troll is a member of a race of fearsome creatures from Norse mythology.

Originally more or less the Nordic equivalents of giants, although often smaller in size, the different depictions have come to range from the fiendish giants – similar to the ogres of England (also called Trolls at times, see Troller's Gill) – to a devious, more human-like folk of the wilderness, living underground in hills, caves or mounds. In the Faroe islands, Orkney and Shetland tales, trolls are called trows, adopted from the Norse language when these islands were settled by Vikings.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll

Second, what I am looking for is the price (& time) for creating a theme from scratch (with pixmaps too) the style should be Islamic.

chriskin
October 5th, 2009, 09:36 PM

Second, what I am looking for is the price (& time) for creating a theme from scratch (with pixmaps too) the style should be Islamic.

a troll is someone who asks something that WILL bring a flame war
like asking on a forum that loves free software the price of a theme :)

Chronon
October 5th, 2009, 09:40 PM

Are you trying to hire somebody, or what? It's not clear what kind of answer you're looking for.

Simian Man
October 5th, 2009, 09:44 PM

Much of the software and art for Linux is developed by individuals in there spare time, not for money, but with the hope others will find it useful. So that's why your request is being met by confusion.

Have you heard of Sabily (formerly Ubuntu Muslim Edition)? It has a wonderful looking theme judging from their screenshots (http://www.sabily.org/website/index.php/en/sabily/screenshots). Ideally you could install the theme without installing their whole distro, but I don't know how easy that would be.

BTW a "troll" is someone who starts topics in order to confuse or anger forum users.

Edit:
Judging from this page (https://launchpad.net/~sabily.team/+maintained-packages), it seems you can install the themes in Ubuntu w/o even adding special repositories.