PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 9.10 Beta Failed install

ctsdownloads
October 3rd, 2009, 06:42 AM
Loving what I see from the live CD of the beta 9.10 release, however it is clear that ubiquity has other ideas. Here is where I am growing concerned as we near a Release Candidate.

Attempt one: I boot from 9.10 Beta Standard CD, boots great into my VIA chipset video powered notebook (I forget the exact chipset). In the past, it has COMPLETE failure here due to a really bad unichrome bug. This appears to be resolved I think.

Unfortunately ubiquity goes through the setup to install process all the way to confirming the changes to begin the installation (after setting up partitions, etc). Right as I hit last window where it is confirming my settings before I install (step 7 I think), ubiquity crashes. Dmesg shows me nadda and the logs are no help either.

Attempt two: With the 9.10 Alternate CD in hand, everything goes well until it get to the installation part where kernel headers are being installed, then it locks up. Awesome...

Why not upgrade from 9.04? Simple, big 'ol bug with OpenChrome in that release going back to like 8.10.

So here is the million dollar question - is there another option for getting 9.10 installed?

(PS: Been using Ubuntu since Hoary and I know darn well based on past experience that by the time we hit beta, only the most common and dire things will be fixed before release. So clearly waiting for the RC or public release is not a solution) ;)

jayness
October 3rd, 2009, 07:20 AM
Hey sorry to highjack your thread but i think it is relevant... I have had troubles installing Ubuntu 9.04 on my laptop. So then i today tried to install version 9.10 and have the same issues as you have. I have included screen shots which you can view in this thread:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1179900

Initially i thought it was specific to my model computer - especially as someone else with the same model had the same problem. However now that i have read your post i wonder if it could be more systemic..

ctsdownloads
October 3rd, 2009, 08:04 AM
Just looked, completely different animal. Sorry for your troubles, but totally different and unrelated (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=8043999&postcount=8) to this specific issue I am afraid. I'd keep to the other thread or no one is going to get anything resolved with mixing issues.

I've given up and gone back to Puppy Linux on that notebook. Still using Ubuntu 9.04 on other PCs, but these ubiquity /alternate Cd issues are just getting to be too time intensive. It's a beta with 9.10, so I will check back again later when it goes release candidate.

Puppy is a bit weird for newbies, but v4.30 has fantastic wifi support and it works like a rockstar with cheap Via video chipsets.

Again, hoping that 9.10 is not going to be like this on my newer systems...they works great 9.04, so I am hopeful.

norbs
October 3rd, 2009, 09:36 PM
I think I have the same issue on my system.
I have never tried before to install a beta release, so I thought I would give it a try.
Than, just as in your case, as I hit the button to install it, the installer just crashes... Have no idea with this.

AMD Sempron 2400+ processor, 500Mb of RAM
NVidia graphics

A pretty old, but widely used build.

Ron G
October 3rd, 2009, 10:14 PM
Loving what I see from the live CD of the beta 9.10 release, however it is clear that ubiquity has other ideas. Here is where I am growing concerned as we near a Release Candidate.

Attempt one: I boot from 9.10 Beta Standard CD, boots great into my VIA chipset video powered notebook (I forget the exact chipset). In the past, it has COMPLETE failure here due to a really bad unichrome bug. This appears to be resolved I think.

Unfortunately ubiquity goes through the setup to install process all the way to confirming the changes to begin the installation (after setting up partitions, etc). Right as I hit last window where it is confirming my settings before I install (step 7 I think), ubiquity crashes. Dmesg shows me nadda and the logs are no help either.

Attempt two: With the 9.10 Alternate CD in hand, everything goes well until it get to the installation part where kernel headers are being installed, then it locks up. Awesome...

Why not upgrade from 9.04? Simple, big 'ol bug with OpenChrome in that release going back to like 8.10.

So here is the million dollar question - is there another option for getting 9.10 installed?

(PS: Been using Ubuntu since Hoary and I know darn well based on past experience that by the time we hit beta, only the most common and dire things will be fixed before release. So clearly waiting for the RC or public release is not a solution) ;)

Same deal here. I think the ISo is corrupt. It won't work at all, it seems to have jumped to beta too quickly. Now I have to get busy redoing my girlfriends whole pc. Luckily I have her old OS backed up to reintall, because the dual boot didnt take so n o OS at present. Oh well another afternoon shot to hell.

ctsdownloads
October 3rd, 2009, 10:18 PM
Same deal here. I think the ISo is corrupt. It won't work at all, it seems to have jumped to beta too quickly. Now I have to get busy redoing my girlfriends whole pc. Luckily I have her old OS backed up to reintall, because the dual boot didnt take so n o OS at present. Oh well another afternoon shot to hell.

What is the PC's configuration?

I am using OpenChrome/VIA for video, AMD Athon CPU, 1 gig of RAM.
You?

I'd file bug report, but I am tired of having them dismissed as not having enough info...despite it being difficult to get logs from something that is not running right...sigh. I have NEVER had a bug report taken seriously...usually it is someone in the "club" that has the best success here, so I won't waste my time.

Ron G
October 3rd, 2009, 10:21 PM
What is the PC's configuration? This makes a huge difference if we are to file a bug. We are wasting our time without this info. :)

I am using OpenChrome/VIA for video, AMD Athon CPU, 1 gig of RAM.
You?

I'd file bug report, but I am tired of having them dismissed as not having enough info...despite it being difficult to get logs from something that is not running right...sigh. I have NEVER had a bug report taken seriously...usually it is someone in the "club" that has the best success here, so I won't waste my time.

Compaq, intel celeron 420 processor, 1024 mb of ram
intel grapics media 950 video card

I finaly got it to install by using system rescue disk to "pre partition", but it locks up on attempting to do any type of action on nthe desktop. It's not worth wasting my time either, so I will wait for final release. I agree they usually listen to "club" members more than anyone else.

ctsdownloads
October 3rd, 2009, 10:55 PM
Compaq, intel celeron 420 processor, 1024 mb of ram
intel grapics media 950 video card

I finaly got it to install by using system rescue disk to "pre partition", but it locks up on attempting to do any type of action on nthe desktop. It's not worth wasting my time either, so I will wait for final release. I agree they usually listen to "club" members more than anyone else.

Because I have nothing to really give in a bug report, I am reaching with a post to Answers...hopefully I will get some ideas of how I can report this as clearly, this is bug with unrelated hardware affecting multiple people.

MoeNeigh
October 4th, 2009, 02:00 AM
this is bug with unrelated hardware affecting multiple people.

You may be right, and I can't even get the live CD for 9.10 beta to boot up completely, whether it is Ubuntu or Kubuntu. Using Ctrl + Alt + F1, I see multiple lines of code, but it finally just hangs and nothing happens. I suspect it may be my graphics card, nvidia 6150se. Then again, it could be something I know nothing about. The 9.10 alpha 6 livecd booted up completely a couple of times (out of about 30 tries), but it would not dependably load.

Oddly, I was able to get the Kubuntu 9.04 rc to boot live in safe graphics mode, and then I was able to install it. Once I got it installed, I downloaded the appropriate nvidia driver from ENVYNG, and everything is fine. I'm very happy with Kubuntu 9.04.

I kept the old 9.04 beta livecd and 9.04 rc livecd. I've since tested them "live" again, and the beta will not load, while the rc will.

My hope -- fingers crossed -- is that the 9.10 rc at the end of the month will load and install, but it doesn't look hopeful so far.

Ron G
October 4th, 2009, 11:25 PM
My hope -- fingers crossed -- is that the 9.10 rc at the end of the month will load and install, but it doesn't look hopeful so far.[/QUOTE]

I am going to wait until the final release, and THEN wait until I see it is working for most everyone before even attempting to upgrade to it.
I find waiting for a bit for the latest and greatest saves me lots of headaches.

elfio
October 5th, 2009, 11:02 AM
I think I have the same problem. I tried to install the 9.10 amd64 and the installation crashed when it creates the user. The same problem with the 32bit version.
My pc is a Dell XPS M1330
T8100 2.10Ghz
1Gb Ram
Intel X3100 Video card

robhamm
October 7th, 2009, 06:07 PM
Same issue here with a desktop with an MSI motherboard based on Nvidia chipset with the standard 9.10 Beta 32bit CD. Everything goes well until the last step, then the installer crashes. This same CD worked beautifully when installing on my wife's ancient laptop.

norbs
October 7th, 2009, 06:49 PM
I have found two possibly related bugs:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubiquity/+bug/445050

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubiquity/+bug/440407

I'll try to install it tonight without ubiquity slide show.

elfio
October 9th, 2009, 03:19 PM
I found my error. Maybe it will be the same of somebody of you.

I tried to install Karmic with a partition for /home of my last installation (hardy), but I made that partition by copy of the content of /home.
Sorry about my english. I'm from Spain and I don't speak English very well.

With Hardy I had a partition for all /, and for Karmic I made a partition for the /home trough Gparted. For any reason the installation crashed when I selected that partition for the /home.

Sorry for all.

norbs
October 10th, 2009, 09:15 AM
I'll try to install it tonight without ubiquity slide show.

I just managed to install Ubuntu 9.10! I'm happy :D

First, I removed ubiquity-slideshow with Synaptic P.M. and than the installation was just smooth...
And now I try a partial upgrade and I hope after restart my system will load.

Always those excited moments with Ubuntu... :P

evan d
October 13th, 2009, 05:27 PM
If you are experiencing a bug, especially one where the installer crashes when you press the final install button, then please report it on Launchpad. Run the installer in debug mode (`ubiquity -d` in a terminal window) until it crashes, then run `ubuntu-bug ubiquity` in a terminal window.

Thanks for your help. I very much appreciate it.

anewman
October 13th, 2009, 06:21 PM
First, I removed ubiquity-slideshow with Synaptic P.M. and than the installation was just smooth...

Excellent. Used the Live CD. Opened Synaptic package manager and removed said item. Hit the install icon and now it's doing what it's meant to. Thanks very much. Such a shame all this hassle is caused by a fancy slide show that's just a blatant attempt copy of the XP installation. My bet is on it's something silly like the slideshow needs SSE2 as all the people who seem to have these problems have processors which do not support it.

ctsdownloads
October 14th, 2009, 12:12 AM
If you are experiencing a bug, especially one where the installer crashes when you press the final install button, then please report it on Launchpad. Run the installer in debug mode (`ubiquity -d` in a terminal window) until it crashes, then run `ubuntu-bug ubiquity` in a terminal window.

Thanks for your help. I very much appreciate it.

This is great advice, but considering how many of us are frustrated by past attempts with other bug as we are dismissed at hand due to it being seen as "resolved" or "not enough info" despite it being the kind of bug where sharing log files is seemingly impossible as far as we can tell...well, it seems HIGHLY unlikely anyone is going to do this to themselves again. Myself included.

If however, you can provide me with a means of reporting this with the needed details...even without access to logs and can assure me I WON'T be dismissed again, I am all ears and will personally make this happen.

Thank you :confused:

norbs
October 14th, 2009, 01:21 PM
This is great advice, but considering how many of us are frustrated by past attempts with other bug as we are dismissed at hand due to it being seen as "resolved" or "not enough info" despite it being the kind of bug where sharing log files is seemingly impossible as far as we can tell...well, it seems HIGHLY unlikely anyone is going to do this to themselves again. Myself included.

If however, you can provide me with a means of reporting this with the needed details...even without access to logs and can assure me I WON'T be dismissed again, I am all ears and will personally make this happen.

Thank you :confused:

I have reported this bug yesterday.

Here it is: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubiquity/+bug/450744

I have never reported a bug before, so I'll see what is going to happen with this report.

Confirm it, if you want to.

evan d
October 14th, 2009, 05:51 PM
Can anyone experiencing this bug try the following and report back:

Remove the ubiquity-slideshow-ubuntu package, then attempt an install.

If the install is successful, please boot the live CD a second time so you get the slideshow package back. Go into Preferences -> Software Sources -> Other Software and add "ppa:evand/ppa", then let it reload your configuration. Install libwebkit-1.0-2, then make sure you have the correct version from my ppa. The output of `dpkg -s libwebkit-1.0-2 | grep Version` should be 1.1.15.2-1~evand. Try an install again.

Please let me know whether removing the slideshow package fixed the bug, and if so, whether adding the version of webkit from my ppa also fixed the bug.

Thanks!

evan d
October 14th, 2009, 06:06 PM

I'm sorry that you've had a poor experience with reporting bugs.

Can you please cite a specific bug whereby you were told something was resolved in a later version, when it clearly was not. I'd like to get a fuller understanding of what happened there.

Bugs marked "Needs information" are not dismissed, they simply require more than what has been provided. We're constantly working to improve the bug reporting experience. You now get a crash dialog which collects the most commonly needed information for a bug and posts that to Launchpad with minimal effort. That was not always the case. Getting a debug log requires another install attempt, but the log itself is not always necessary, and as the debug log includes your password in the data stream with no reliable way to filter it out, we cannot turn on debug mode by default.

This is a development version of Ubuntu. You should absolutely not be putting it on production machines. Even if it does not crash, the upgrade path from day to day on Karmic can leave your system in an subtly broken state long-term.

We cannot fix bugs that do not have sufficient information in them for us to debug the problem.

I disagree that people will not run through an install attempt a second time. People want their bugs fixed. They know that ignoring the bug and hoping that the developer will find it some other way often results in the bug sticking around, and thus work with the developers to provide the needed information.

norbs
October 19th, 2009, 09:12 PM
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubiquity/+bug/450744

I think it was fixed.

Thanks evan d.

ctsdownloads
October 20th, 2009, 12:11 AM
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubiquity/+bug/450744

I think it was fixed.

Thanks evan d.

This looks promising, will look into this later. Still, this appears to be a work-a-round, not a resolved bug. Just pointing out the facts.

evan d
October 21st, 2009, 08:01 AM
This looks promising, will look into this later. Still, this appears to be a work-a-round, not a resolved bug. Just pointing out the facts.

Please explain what makes you think this is a workaround.

There was a bug in webkit whereby it was using some assembly that made use of an Intel-specific instruction. This caused a SIGILL when the slideshow was shown, crashing ubiquity.

The bug was fixed in webkit upstream and we synced the new version from Debian (since they incorporated changes from our version, removing the need for a separate package).

It's not a workaround. A workaround would be disabling the slideshow for Karmic, which we would have had to do if we did not find the source of this bug in time for release.

ctsdownloads
October 22nd, 2009, 04:35 AM

There was a bug in webkit whereby it was using some assembly that made use of an Intel-specific instruction. This caused a SIGILL when the slideshow was shown, crashing ubiquity.

The bug was fixed in webkit upstream and we synced the new version from Debian (since they incorporated changes from our version, removing the need for a separate package).

It's not a workaround. A workaround would be disabling the slideshow for Karmic, which we would have had to do if we did not find the source of this bug in time for release.

I was asking based on the way the bug was closed (until the date 2009-10-20). Did not catch any of the above. But I am glad to read what was done to correct the issue despite that. Great to hear, thanks. :)

ctsdownloads
October 29th, 2009, 01:25 AM

Clearly, VIA/S3G Unichrome video cards on the Averatec 3200 stink. :)

Had a chance to test this again...no idea if it works though as OpenChrome on the RC for 9.10 now goes to a black screen on the standard CD - much like it has on releases 8.10 thru 9.04. I'd try the alternate CD again, but I am 99% sure it is just going to lock up on this laptop like it usually does - regardless of how many discs I try.

Wondering if I can open up a bug report even though the sum of my data is the specs of the notebook and the report of OpenChrome not working...again?

Runs the latest Puppy Linux like a champ - even has better wifi support for my Ralink 802.11N dongle - the one 9.10 sees but fails to connect with using 9.04 or 9.10 RC, sadly.

I ask about this as clearly, OpenChrome has issues also with KDE apparently: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-openchrome/+bug/454128

khurtsiya
November 10th, 2009, 01:48 PM
Trying to install from flash on Lenovo ThinkPad SL500 - same problem...