PDA

View Full Version : New US bill to open source publically funded textbooks

phrostbyte
October 3rd, 2009, 06:25 AM
There is a new bill being proposed in Congress that would make textbooks published using government funding open source:

http://blog.opensourcenerd.com/open-source-books

Exodist
October 3rd, 2009, 06:32 AM
This is big! This could help cut a lot of cost of going to school/college.

Chronon
October 3rd, 2009, 06:49 AM
Very cool. :guitar:

billdotson
October 3rd, 2009, 07:19 AM
awesomeness

Sean Moran
October 3rd, 2009, 07:22 AM
When the bough breaks, the cradle will fly...

billdotson
October 3rd, 2009, 07:23 AM
What does that mean Moran?

Sean Moran
October 3rd, 2009, 07:50 AM
What does that mean Moran?
Google Dambusters or something like that..
---o0o---

Mr Moran or plain Sean, if you don't mind in future.

Странник
October 3rd, 2009, 08:44 AM
This is cool. Free education for everyone!

starcannon
October 3rd, 2009, 08:57 AM
Good for students,

Bad for aspiring or established textbook writers and publishers.

There are 2 sides to every coin; in this case side B includes taking away a source of income for already under paid professors. Just something to think about. It seems in today's world we find more and more ways to make people irrelevant, and more and more excuses as to why we should not carry them along after we have done so.

Technology was supposed to free(liberate) mankind, not enslave mankind.

Oh well, greed wins again, sounds counter intuitive right? But the main reason most people will support this bill is because it means lower taxes; not because it means free access to knowledge. /sigh.

tom66
October 3rd, 2009, 09:23 AM
I can name a few book authors/publishes that actively push open source material, yet still pull a profit. Dive into Python (GFDL) springs to mind.

Sean Moran
October 3rd, 2009, 09:26 AM
Didn't Lennon & McCartney once write something about love out == love in?

Chronon
October 3rd, 2009, 09:37 AM
Good for students,

There are 2 sides to every coin; in this case side B includes taking away a source of income for already under paid professors. Just something to think about. It seems in today's world we find more and more ways to make people irrelevant, and more and more excuses as to why we should not carry them along after we have done so.

Oh well, greed wins again, sounds counter intuitive right? But the main reason most people will support this bill is because it means lower taxes; not because it means free access to knowledge. /sigh.
Maybe we should question the whole Protestant work ethic idea. Is it necessary for people to work 40 hours a week to justify their existence? Maybe we can share the work and move to shorter work weeks.

Students are generally a pretty poor demographic. I don't know that the exorbitant prices of text books are the best way to supplement the incomes of professors. Plus, you know the scam with textbooks, I'm sure. You write the first edition, then spin out another 6 editions of the same text with only very minor revisions in formatting, homework problems at the end of chapters, etc.

Maybe professors will just need to demand higher salaries.

Sean Moran
October 3rd, 2009, 09:42 AM

Visions of the Spanish Inquisition are reeling before mine eyetheths 9-) . :):):)

starcannon
October 3rd, 2009, 09:52 AM
Maybe we should question the whole Protestant work ethic idea. Is it necessary for people to work 40 hours a week to justify their existence? Maybe we can share the work and move to shorter work weeks.

Students are generally a pretty poor demographic. I don't know that the exorbitant prices of text books are the best way to supplement the incomes of professors. Plus, you know the scam with textbooks, I'm sure. You write the first edition, then spin out another 6 editions of the same text with only very minor revisions in formatting, homework problems at the end of chapters, etc.

I'm in; I have often thought what a pity it is that there are so many with disabilities that have so much too offer. With the technology we have, they could be tending children, teaching, offering emotional support, making art, the list is as limited as the imagination.
The 40hour work week is nothing more than a trap, as is the entire wage slavery system. Create debt, which in turn forces people to work in ****** jobs that mean nothing.

We already have the technology to make life about living, not just in developed countries, the technology could help the entire world. Sadly there are a majority of people who believe that such an existences would nullify their entire paradigm, that if someone didn't spend their whole life chasing a life worth living, that they do not deserve a life worth living(tell me that logic doesn't rattle your brain).

Were stuck in a loop, I hope we can peacefully break free of this spaghetti code that we've created our cultural object on; but I'm afraid were just gonna have to ctrl+alt+delete as a species at some point. Our current Social, Political, and Religious struct does not favor ubuntu.

GL and HF

nubimax
October 3rd, 2009, 04:37 PM
The bill will never get through congress with out a lot of people hounding there congressman/woman. So do it.
M.

Frak
October 3rd, 2009, 04:51 PM
This bill is going to be struck down with 1000 burning arrows.

Those in favor say Aye, Those oppose No;
NO NO, NO NO, NO NOOOOOOO! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0OzxvClwoU#t=00m52s)

phrostbyte
October 3rd, 2009, 05:04 PM
Good for students,

Not really, this only affects professors who get government grants (taxpayer money) to write books. Essentially this stops the double dipping loophole: getting paid twice to write a book. They could either choose to go all out private, or have the government fund them and the results will be open source.

phrostbyte
October 3rd, 2009, 05:19 PM
We already have the technology to make life about living, not just in developed countries, the technology could help the entire world.

You might be interested in the philosophies of Ray Kurzweil. :)