PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] libldap problem after updating from 9.04 to 9.10

Nick Mitin
October 3rd, 2009, 05:36 AM
After updating from 9.04 to 9.10 beta samba, transmission, pfroftpd and mediatomb won't start:

# /etc/init.d/samba start
* Starting Samba daemons

/usr/sbin/nmbd: relocation error: /usr/lib/libldap_r-2.4.so.2: symbol gnutls_certificate_get_x509_cas, version GNUTLS_1_4 not defined in file libgnutls.so.26 with link time reference

Does anyone know how to fix this?

mwawrin
December 9th, 2009, 01:52 AM
Hi,

I hit a similar issue when upgrading from KUbuntu 9.04 to 9.10, but with Kontact. I solved it for myself just now, so thought I'd share in case the situation is similar for you or others.

The problem for me was that libldap_r-2.4.so.2 was picking up a 'bad' version of libgnults that I apparently had on my system.

Running ldd on libldap_r-2.4.so.2 I found that it was picking up libgnults from /usr/local/lib:

$ ldd /usr/lib/libldap_r-2.4.so.2 |grep libgnutls
libgnutls.so.26 => /usr/local/lib/libgnutls.so.26 (0x00110000)

You can use the following command to see whether or not the symbol in question is defined in the library or not.

$ nm -D <libgnuttls file> |grep gnutls_certificate_get_x509_cas

In my case, the libgnutls.so file under /usr/local/lib did not define this symbol, and since libldap was picking up this library I hit the undef. symbol. I can't for the life of me remember why I had these libs installed here. The libgnutls.so under /usr/lib did export this symbol.

$ nm -D /usr/lib/libgnutls.so |grep gnutls_certificate_get_x509_cas
00026640 T gnutls_certificate_get_x509_cas

Either setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib in my env, or removing the offending libs from /usr/local/lib make kontact run again.

Hope this helps.

Matt.