PDA

View Full Version : gcc C Libraries?

hsnm
October 3rd, 2009, 05:09 AM
I'm new about gcc's internal structure. I'm trying to find the C functions like printf, puts, scanf and many other libraries like this. I need to do some modifications to some of them but I don't know where they are kept? Are they part of gcc's source code or they're put into a difference place?

Please help me with that!
Thank you

Vichfret
October 3rd, 2009, 06:47 AM
/usr/include

hessiess
October 3rd, 2009, 10:00 AM
I need to do some modifications to some

Why would you want to modify standard library functions?

MadCow108
October 3rd, 2009, 11:47 AM
the system calls are in glibc
http://sourceware.org/glibc/

you cal also get the sources with apt-get source glibc-source when you have source repositories enabled

phrostbyte
October 3rd, 2009, 05:16 PM
Be careful, if you break your libc you can break pretty much your system. :)

hsnm
October 4th, 2009, 12:45 AM
In fact I'm aware of danger of playing with these libraries. But my project requires some testing over these but very minor.

/usr/include only has the header files not the source files.

Well I know glib is gnu's C library but I don't know where these files are kept on the system!!

jpkotta
October 4th, 2009, 02:10 AM
There are no sources, normally. There is a static archive /usr/lib/libc.a and a DLL /lib/libc.so.6. The static archive is basically a zip file (actually an 'ar' file) of object files (.o), and the DLL is a massaged static archive. This is how pretty much any library works in (Debian/Ubuntu) Linux. Unless you're modifying the library you don't need the source, so the source is not distributed in the -dev packages. You need to apt-get source libc6 and probably also apt-get build-dep libc6.

hsnm
October 4th, 2009, 02:24 AM
Great, thanks for the info. Then how can I replace the library with the modified one?

phrostbyte
October 4th, 2009, 03:20 AM
Do your modifications inline and then rebuild the .deb using dpkg-buildpackage

then install the deb using dpkg -i thelibc.deb

Don't do this on your production system because it can fail. :)

phrostbyte
October 4th, 2009, 03:25 AM
You might need some package if you don't have dpkg-buildpackage, maybe "ubuntu-devel" ?

nvteighen
October 4th, 2009, 11:45 AM
I'd recommend you to do something in the lines of this:

1) Build your standard library into /usr/local/lib with a different name than whatever your glibc version has (e.g. libmystdc.so wouldn't be bad).
2) Call ldconfig as root to update the library cache.
3) When compiling, use the -nostdlib flag and link against your own Standard Library.

This is much safer than anything else for sure. But, be aware than some routines from the GNU C Standard Library will be used nevertheless (memset, memcpy & friends... look at gcc's manual)... To bypass that you should use another flag, but can render your application useless. Moreover, doing these things in a C++ program can fail miserably.

hsnm
October 6th, 2009, 03:09 PM
I installed dpkg and got the source. I'm gonna try this out and see if I can get it right.

Thanks for the help. I couldn't find my answer while Googling!

hsnm
October 6th, 2009, 03:10 PM
I'd recommend you to do something in the lines of this:

1) Build your standard library into /usr/local/lib with a different name than whatever your glibc version has (e.g. libmystdc.so wouldn't be bad).
2) Call ldconfig as root to update the library cache.
3) When compiling, use the -nostdlib flag and link against your own Standard Library.

This is much safer than anything else for sure. But, be aware than some routines from the GNU C Standard Library will be used nevertheless (memset, memcpy & friends... look at gcc's manual)... To bypass that you should use another flag, but can render your application useless. Moreover, doing these things in a C++ program can fail miserably.
I like this idea. Actually, I implemented some functions of my own. I just need to put them in a separate library and use them. I'll try this too.