PDA

View Full Version : Paybuntu Brainstorm

samirbasha
October 3rd, 2009, 04:30 AM
I'm testing Karmic and already liked it
But the "Ubuntu Software Center" "inspired me" so i have some ideas which I hope can be useful for canonical developers to go forward in the next releases

idea#1 restore the original name of "Ubuntu Software Center" to "Ubuntu Software Store"

idea#2 silver, golden and platinum subscriptions for software repos.

idea#3 change the ubuntu logo on the shopping bag icon of "Software Store" to $ sign

Share your ideas guys:lolflag:

Frak
October 3rd, 2009, 04:33 AM
I'll summarize everybody's responses now:

No, this will make Ubuntu commercial, and commercial is evil, and it will fail, and it will burn toast, and steal souls, and eat babies, and crush little kittens.

The consensus is "if it isn't free or fully open source, or it is even a tad like Windows, it's evil, and we have to push it away".

samirbasha
October 3rd, 2009, 04:40 AM
I'll summarize everybody's responses now:

No, this will make Ubuntu commercial, and commercial is evil, and it will fail, and it will burn toast, and steal souls, and eat babies, and crush little kittens.

The consensus is "if it isn't free or fully open source, or it is even a tad like Windows, it's evil, and we have to push it away".
Thats what I'm talking about

jonian_g
October 3rd, 2009, 04:45 AM
No3 shows that you're trolling. So nobody should bother with you!

BTW Canonical already sells software

http://shop.canonical.com/index.php?cPath=19&osCsid=4bf6ee4f299203abeca989b042a586a1

samirbasha
October 3rd, 2009, 04:47 AM
No3 shows that you're trolling. So nobody should bother with you!

BTW Canonical already sells software

http://shop.canonical.com/index.php?cPath=19&osCsid=4bf6ee4f299203abeca989b042a586a1
I hope you liked first two ;)

phrostbyte
October 3rd, 2009, 04:49 AM
This was tried already with Linspire. I doubt it will work. I support the notion that Canonical should figure out ways to make money with Ubuntu, I just doubt it will work by directly charging people for software. People will just move a distro that doesn't have such costs.

samirbasha
October 3rd, 2009, 04:51 AM
I just doubt it will work by directly charging people for software. People will just move a distro that doesn't have such costs.
Is there any indirect ways you can suggest :)

keiichidono
October 3rd, 2009, 04:52 AM
This was tried already with Linspire. I doubt it will work. I support the notion that Canonical should figure out ways to make money with Ubuntu, I just doubt it will work by directly charging people for software. People will just move a distro that doesn't have such costs.

Marry me.

hanzomon4
October 3rd, 2009, 04:59 AM
Require that you "purchase" all future Major Distro Upgrades for 60 dollars... complete with a popup prompting you to upgrade every hour if you're still on an old release.

samirbasha
October 3rd, 2009, 05:01 AM
Require that you "purchase" all future Major Distro Upgrades for 60 dollars... complete with a popup prompting you to upgrade every hour if you're still on an old release.
lol

samirbasha
October 3rd, 2009, 05:14 AM
No. 5 #install by default kind of genuine ubuntu software verification that checks and detects all non-free software on your machine, and if it finds some cracked soft you must be punished with compiz glitches.

hanzomon4
October 3rd, 2009, 05:21 AM
No. 5 #install by default kind of genuine ubuntu software verification that checks and detects all non-free software on your machine, and if it finds some yow must be punished with compiz glitches.

Totem should run the video of rms eating his feet upon detection of a tainted-kernel. That's medieval punishment

privatejarhead
October 3rd, 2009, 05:27 AM
Totem should run the video of rms eating his feet upon detection of a tainted-kernel. That's medieval punishment

ouch...

samirbasha
October 3rd, 2009, 05:34 AM
you'll have a picture of terribly fearsome gnome instead of your wallpaper till you pay for all detected free software.:lolflag:

starcannon
October 3rd, 2009, 06:14 AM
But the "Ubuntu Software Center" "inspired me" so i have some ideas which I hope can be useful for canonical developers to go forward in the next releases

idea#1 restore the original name of "Ubuntu Software Center" to "Ubuntu Software Store"

idea#3 change the ubuntu logo on the shopping bag icon of "Software Store" to $ sign

Share your ideas guys*removed annoying lol guy*
Mandriva already has what your suggesting; so, no, I do not think Ubuntu should try to take over a niche that is already filled.

hoppipolla
October 3rd, 2009, 06:16 AM
Man you are capable of making even more of a fuss than ME. lol :)

It's not a big deal, they need to live off something. Kay? Kay. ^_^

hoppipolla
October 3rd, 2009, 06:21 AM

rofl! That's genius xD

samirbasha
October 3rd, 2009, 06:22 AM
they need to live off something.
Didn't know the recession affected them that much, I feel now like I should do something to save them.

Exodist
October 3rd, 2009, 06:24 AM

How about NO, and GO AWAY..

samirbasha
October 3rd, 2009, 06:26 AM
How about NO, and GO AWAY..

How about NO, and you GO AWAY.. :)

jperez
October 3rd, 2009, 06:30 AM
Seeing who the user is and what he's posted in other threads, I knew the first post was complete satire and sarcasm. =D>

He hates the idea, so he's making fun of the "Store".

#6: Have Ubuntu start using "Product Keys" that will be become illegal and non-functional after being pirated.

#7: Make the OS go proprietary!

NOTE:
Just adding to the satirical value folks, I'm not being serious x]

Jesse~

hoppipolla
October 3rd, 2009, 02:48 PM
Seeing who the user is and what he's posted in other threads, I knew the first post was complete satire and sarcasm. =D>

Hehe yeah I realized this, as I saw the thread before when he was talking about how much he hated it!

I dunno, I just think there's a big difference between trying to make a bit of money from what you do, and totally "selling out".

If they were doing any of the things jokingly mentioned here then that would be different, but I think it's only a small touch anyway and let's face it there will ALWAYS be commercial software of reasonable quality out there.

I say as long as it does never get carried away, it's a good thing for Canonical and useful for us too :)

daverich
October 3rd, 2009, 02:53 PM
The thing I find amazing is there's no support packages available for normal desktop users.

Seems to me it'd be a nice little earner,- AND it would make people less afraid of Linux.

I mean,- just a simple phone service would really help things along.

Kind Regards

Dave Rich

hoppipolla
October 3rd, 2009, 02:56 PM
The thing I find amazing is there's no support packages available for normal desktop users.

Seems to me it'd be a nice little earner,- AND it would make people less afraid of Linux.

I mean,- just a simple phone service would really help things along.

Kind Regards

Dave Rich

A very good point there :) Thing is, isn't support usually free for home users?

Tibuda
October 3rd, 2009, 03:02 PM
I'm getting annoyed by this trolling.

People will just move a distro that doesn't have such costs.

But all the freeware* software available at no cost at those distros will be available at no cost at Ubuntu too. The paid software are software you already have to pay in any distro. Nero, PowerDVD, Pixel, Crossover, Matlab. The Center/Store will only make it easier for people to buy them.

* I use the word freeware because it means "free as beer".

juancarlospaco
October 3rd, 2009, 03:05 PM
Not necesary, since GPL software IS commercial, read the Licence.

daverich
October 3rd, 2009, 04:41 PM
A very good point there :) Thing is, isn't support usually free for home users?

no.

For Linux I think people (and In fact I've been asked this a few times by people mulling over going over to linux) would appreciate a paid-for support line just to know they're not on their own.

The fact that linux is free, but you have to pay for support if you need it makes alot of sense to people,- they can say to themselves "ooooh i see, that's how they make money to put food on the table".

Kind regards

Dave Rich

hoppipolla
October 3rd, 2009, 05:21 PM
no.

For Linux I think people (and In fact I've been asked this a few times by people mulling over going over to linux) would appreciate a paid-for support line just to know they're not on their own.

The fact that linux is free, but you have to pay for support if you need it makes alot of sense to people,- they can say to themselves "ooooh i see, that's how they make money to put food on the table".

Kind regards

Dave Rich

A fair point well made :)

Yeah, maybe ^_^

CJay554
October 17th, 2009, 12:50 PM
Hey guys,
It seems to me that everyone is stuck on the idea that the only way to make money (due to our past experiences) is through software, in my opinion we should leave software free as it is, as it is what makes linux... linux. But there are other ways to make money:

Donations - Though not the best way
Selling the games- because games are not really a "useful" aspect of life, more a luxury, so maybe charge a bit for them? o.o
small advertisements on maybe the ubuntu website or parts of the system (Yes i know people dont like the idea of sticking random advertisements in their users face, but in comparison to free software why not?)
Software Store - its a good idea, to have some software be sold, im not thinking like the iStore, but more like the android store, its cheap for the most part, applications come by the 1's 2's and 5's, i see no problem charging a small amount for the sake of helping the community grow, and it wont be excessively expensive as brand names are)
Ubuntu users start looking for gold mine/ diamond mine and report to canonical for excavation services =)

If donation is the key for most i suggest making it a bit more accessible, easy to use, click, card, donate. Like the paypal method is secure, its just that not alot of people have it, not everyone at least, and makes it discouraging to sign up for something to donate.

Or at least an easier way to get to http://www.ubuntu.com/community/donations through the os (maybe in the "about" area. There isn't so much as a search result for "donate".

In a sense of financial gain for Ubuntu im thinking we need to think outside the box, as traditionally we know only to pay for software, but theres gotta be other ways of getting financial support without having to step so low as to charge for software as tradition impales us to do.

Sand & Mercury
October 17th, 2009, 01:03 PM
I think this kind of idea goes headlong against the Ubuntu philosophy.

Sporkman
October 17th, 2009, 03:09 PM
How about a store where developers can sell proprietary software that will run on Ubuntu? And Canonical can get a small cut of the sales proceeds as the fee for running the store.

forrestcupp
October 17th, 2009, 03:29 PM

Thats what I'm talking about

Let's all get mad at the Linux community for stubbornly offering everything for free. ;)

Even if you don't personally hold the same ideals, why would anyone complain about not having to pay money?

sudoer541
October 17th, 2009, 03:51 PM
Do you think I would give my hard earned cash so easily? Ohhh nooo little Johny, I wont!
I like your idea of selling software, but why pay for the repos? If you could sell me iTunes Adobe Premier and other good commercial software, then yes I would be happy to pay for it....In fact, I would pay double the price if people ported their software to Ubuntu...I swear!!!

Ok?:)

sudoer541
October 17th, 2009, 03:57 PM

ewww

Frak
October 17th, 2009, 04:51 PM
I think this kind of idea goes headlong against the Ubuntu philosophy.
How is paying for proprietary software, mind you software that has a fee anyhow, against the Ubuntu philosophy?

That's right, it isn't.

Sand & Mercury
October 17th, 2009, 05:13 PM
How is paying for proprietary software, mind you software that has a fee anyhow, against the Ubuntu philosophy?

That's right, it isn't.

From the website:

Our work is driven by a philosophy on software freedom that aims to spread and bring the benefits of software to all parts of the world. At the core of the Ubuntu Philosophy are these core philosophical ideals:

1. Every computer user should have the freedom to download, run, copy, distribute, study, share, change and improve their software for any purpose, without paying licensing fees.
2. Every computer user should be able to use their software in the language of their choice.
3. Every computer user should be given every opportunity to use software, even if they work under a disability.

Our philosophy is reflected in the software we produce and included in our distribution. As a result, the licensing terms of the software we distribute are measured against our philosophy, using the Ubuntu License Policy.

When you install Ubuntu almost all of the software installed already meets these ideals, and we are working to ensure that every single piece of software you need is available under a license that gives you those freedoms.

Currently, we make a specific exception for some "drivers" which are only available in binary form, without which many computers will not complete the Ubuntu installation. We place these in a restricted section of your system which makes them easy to remove if you do not need them.
Of course there's nothing wrong with paying for proprietary software, but it'd be a sad day when they started distributing it through their own repositories and limiting who can access what with paid subscriptions... not to mention probably suicide for the distro.

Selling/advertising proprietary stuff through the software store would be okay, I suppose; making people pay for repositories of free software though, is a dumb idea.

Frak
October 17th, 2009, 05:41 PM
making people pay for repositories of free software though, is a dumb idea.

True, which is why it wasn't mentioned.

dragos240
October 17th, 2009, 05:45 PM
Do net feed the hungry troll.

WinterMadness
October 17th, 2009, 06:19 PM
If I had to pay for anything with Ubuntu, I would move onto another Distro. I hate paying for software. In fact, I hate paying for things in general.

Gwasanaethau
October 17th, 2009, 06:38 PM

Share your ideas guys
What about using the Ubuntu symbol as a currency symbol and then having exchange rates for every world currency to make it much easier for everyone (in some ways similar to what UTC did for time)? ;)

hoppipolla
October 17th, 2009, 06:43 PM
If I had to pay for anything with Ubuntu, I would move onto another Distro. I hate paying for software. In fact, I hate paying for things in general.

People need money to live...

We pay people for goods and services because that's how the world works! Software is a little different though as it can be duplicated freely and doesn't necessarily cost much to produce and develop :)