PDA

View Full Version : Do you ever equalize your music?

ErikEhlert
October 3rd, 2009, 02:12 AM
Recently its been quite a habit for me, I will wither simply slide one bar up to the top, and turn up the volume, whenever I want a huge bass-boost (since I already turned the knob on my sub-woofer all the way up). I usually leave it be when I want a more clean and remastered sounding song. Does anyone else do this?

http://i38.tinypic.com/213q8pf.png

Jesus_Valdez
October 3rd, 2009, 02:17 AM
No, I don't have any policy about equalize.

I don't have policies for my music donwload neither, so perhaps I'm not the best choice to answer this.

Chronon
October 3rd, 2009, 02:18 AM
I use EQ to account for deficiencies in speakers or headphones. I don't use it to try to color the music.

ErikEhlert
October 3rd, 2009, 02:20 AM
I use EQ to account for deficiencies in speakers or headphones. I don't use it to try to color the music.

Yeah, I only use the EQ when I get bored of my music, of course the Zune doesn't really have an EQ (yet). I just experiment with it and see what I can do.

init1
October 3rd, 2009, 02:21 AM
It's kinda fun to mess around with, but I don't usually use it.

X1R1
October 3rd, 2009, 02:23 AM
Yes, i do equalize and I found out that the "rock" preset its wayy better than all other presets, sound gets a good boost and there is a pretty good balance between sound types. try it out

sailthesea
October 3rd, 2009, 02:36 AM
YES
Low production values and poor quality audio broadcast are killing the musical experience for everyone You can listen to stuff on headphones or even a good sound system and get no "feel" from it because the craft is going out of music
Hook up your old record player to a decent Amp and put on any decent album from the late 70s early 80s and you will see/hear what I mean
Then crank up the Bass and you can hear what a producer and mixer put into the making of that record
Music used to made to be listened to
Now its made to sell its a shame
No replies please RANT

Sean Moran
October 3rd, 2009, 02:39 AM
http://mcubuntu.webatu.com/img/213q8pf_eq.png

That's about the way I like it.

SomeGuyDude
October 3rd, 2009, 02:41 AM
I use MPD. It doesn't equalize. So... nupe.

dragos240
October 3rd, 2009, 02:43 AM
I honestly don't care.

ErikEhlert
October 3rd, 2009, 02:49 AM
YES
Low production values and poor quality audio broadcast are killing the musical experience for everyone You can listen to stuff on headphones or even a good sound system and get no "feel" from it because the craft is going out of music
Hook up your old record player to a decent Amp and put on any decent album from the late 70s early 80s and you will see/hear what I mean
Then crank up the Bass and you can hear what a producer and mixer put into the making of that record
No replies please RANT

Where are your periods, son?

sailthesea
October 3rd, 2009, 03:10 AM
War of the worlds or Tubular bells Art that must be heard!

pwnst*r
October 3rd, 2009, 03:22 AM
YES
No replies please RANT

^this.

recording techniques and the heavy use of compression ruin most music today. it's sad and i feel sorry for those that have never experienced an album recorded with such dynamics and depth that it completely moves you, never mind what, if any, the lyrics are doing to you.

SomeGuyDude
October 3rd, 2009, 05:19 AM
^this.

recording techniques and the heavy use of compression ruin most music today. it's sad and i feel sorry for those that have never experienced an album recorded with such dynamics and depth that it completely moves you, never mind what, if any, the lyrics are doing to you.

Um. I've heard a TON of music recorded in the digital era that moved me deeply. And I've heard the supposedly "stellar" quality of vinyl and have no idea why so many people claim its superiority. It can be very nice, but I think this is another example of people just blindly claiming that "things used to be better" out of shortsighted nostalgia.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure that scratchy old record of "Rock Around the Clock" is deeply moving, but my hifi digital recording of Sleep's "Dopesmoker" practically put me in a trance.

pwnst*r
October 3rd, 2009, 05:49 AM
Um. I've heard a TON of music recorded in the digital era that moved me deeply. And I've heard the supposedly "stellar" quality of vinyl and have no idea why so many people claim its superiority. It can be very nice, but I think this is another example of people just blindly claiming that "things used to be better" out of shortsighted nostalgia.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure that scratchy old record of "Rock Around the Clock" is deeply moving, but my hifi digital recording of Sleep's "Dopesmoker" practically put me in a trance.

i didn't say anything about digital vs vinyl, so not sure where you're going with that discussion.

SomeGuyDude
October 3rd, 2009, 05:51 AM
If your implication wasn't to suggest that music recorded in the modern era isn't every bit as moving (if not more so) than music from the past, then I both apologize and wonder what the hell you were talking about.

RiceMonster
I used to, but not any more. I decided to try listening without one, because there is a lack of audio players with a (working) equalizer on Linux. All it took was for me to adjust, and now it sounds just fine to my ears.

starcannon
Absolutely yes.
In the beginning God made Speakers; and God said, "the Speakers need something to Amplify them", so he made Amplifiers. The Amplifier was alone; and God said, "it is not good that amplifiers should be alone"; so, God made Equalizers, and we have all been able to listen to our perception of the perfect sound ever since.
The End.

pwnst*r
October 3rd, 2009, 05:54 AM
If your implication wasn't to suggest that music recorded in the modern era isn't every bit as moving (if not more so) than music from the past, then I both apologize and wonder what the hell you were talking about.

most popular albums recorded within the past 10 years have been pushing more and more compression, with less dynamics.

that's what the hell i'm talking about.

starcannon
October 3rd, 2009, 06:01 AM
most popular albums recorded within the past 10 years have been pushing more and more compression, with less dynamics.

+1
Sad but all too true.
MP3 killed the Hi-Fi star.

pwnst*r
October 3rd, 2009, 06:07 AM
exactly. once producers figured out that the masses are perfectly fine with 128kbps, compression got overused and albums are unarguably LOUDER because of it.

Chronon
October 3rd, 2009, 07:03 AM

I.e. the loudness war: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war

nickstu
October 3rd, 2009, 08:36 AM
most popular albums recorded within the past 10 years have been pushing more and more compression, with less dynamics

exactly. once producers figured out that the masses are perfectly fine with 128kbps, compression got overused and albums are unarguably LOUDER because of it.

I don't understand which kind of compression are you talking about
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_range_compression
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_compression

misfitpierce
October 3rd, 2009, 08:39 AM
I use Audacious themed up and yes I equalize via Audacious equalizer... Love it. Makes my music sound great!

Странник
October 3rd, 2009, 08:43 AM
No I like to listen to a linear eq

Chronon
October 3rd, 2009, 09:22 AM

Well, the loudness bits refer to dynamic range compression.

hessiess
October 3rd, 2009, 09:39 AM

In case you read the above and dont know, compression in this context has nothing to do with reducing file size, its the reduction of the dynamic range, `compressing' the high notes.

`Death magnetic' which was released last year is a good example as it is compressed to the point of clipping.

And to answer the original post, no I don't equalise, I avoid highly compressed music.

starcannon
October 3rd, 2009, 10:01 AM
In case you read the above and dont know, compression in this context has nothing to do with reducing file size, its the reduction of the dynamic range, `compressing' the high notes.

`Death magnetic' which was released last year is a good example as it is compressed to the point of clipping.

And to answer the original post, no I don't equalise, I avoid highly compressed music.
It's getting harder to avoid it. Since the invention of the CD, and the demise of the LP, recorded music has been degrading at a steady rate.

themusicalduck
October 3rd, 2009, 10:50 AM
Even though a lot of modern music is recorded badly and far too compressed, the quality technically shouldn't have degraded over time. The available technology for recording now is amazingly good and of very high quality, the problem is the creativeness (or lack thereof) of the producer while being heavily influenced by the labels to make louder tracks. Mainly for the purpose of getting more radio plays (cause apparently CDs don't sell any more and they can only hope for radio plays to make money..)

If you listen to a modern recording now compared to 30 years ago, the clarity and quality of the recorded instruments and reproduction is very good, but the mix is bad.

On topic, I don't equalise my music cause I don't think the EQ on amarok is that great. Jamin has a great EQ but requires jack to use and I don't have it set up.

hessiess
October 3rd, 2009, 11:50 AM
It's getting harder to avoid it. Since the invention of the CD, and the demise of the LP, recorded music has been degrading at a steady rate.

Which is why I manly listen to older metal and classical music, though I would say that the problem with modern music has more to do with a lack of creativity rather than technical advancements. Most modern genres of music are generally very repetitive and based around short repeating loops, which just gets boring and annoying very quickly.

pwnst*r
October 3rd, 2009, 02:11 PM

dynamic

pwnst*r
October 3rd, 2009, 02:12 PM

i totally know, but thanks

markbuntu
October 3rd, 2009, 03:14 PM
I do not eq, with good speakers I find it unnessecary. Besides, so much music these days is compressed in so may ways......

FYI, dynamic compression is about reducing the volume range of the sound, the range from the quietest to loudest sound, not about squishing the high notes. Live music, like a symphony can have a dynamic range of 120 decibels(db). Lps have a dynamc range of about 80db and are EQed and compressed to a RIAA standard to remove the lowest lows and highest highs to make the music fit the capabilities of the medium. This also made lps more more radio playable. (low freqs use a lot of power and reduce transmission range)

Cds can have more dynamic range but usually do not.

A lot of contemporary popular music has a dynamc range around 40-60db. This is why it sounds loud even when turned down. Radio stations love this music because it maximizes their broadcast range so producers make more of it, it is a music destroying machine.

DBX used to make a dynamic range expander to restore the RIAA eq and compression used on lps, but that was decades ago.

SomeGuyDude
October 3rd, 2009, 03:47 PM

Many have, yes. But is that any different from OLDER albums that were just recorded on a **** poor medium?

Again, cherry-picking the bad examples of today and contrasting them with only the good parts of yesteryear is a funny thing.

Everyone raves about the LP, but it's the difference between having a crystal-clear compressed track versus a scratchy and poppy full-range track. To be honest, I'd rather EQ boost the digital than wince every time the needle hits a blemish in the vinyl.

JillSwift
October 3rd, 2009, 03:47 PM
I have to, I can't hear the higher ranges very well. Equalizer to the rescue.

pwnst*r
October 3rd, 2009, 04:24 PM
Many have, yes. But is that any different from OLDER albums that were just recorded on a **** poor medium?

Again, cherry-picking the bad examples of today and contrasting them with only the good parts of yesteryear is a funny thing.

Everyone raves about the LP, but it's the difference between having a crystal-clear compressed track versus a scratchy and poppy full-range track. To be honest, I'd rather EQ boost the digital than wince every time the needle hits a blemish in the vinyl.

there you go with vinyl again. i'm on the fence with vinyl, so not sure why you keep bringing that up.

and no, there are WAY more albums within the last 10 years that are recorded like crap compared to before then. do you not understand the dynamic range compression that's been discussed? or are you of the crowd that perceives louder as "better quality".

koleoptero
October 3rd, 2009, 04:49 PM

That and:

I have to, I can't hear the higher ranges very well. Equalizer to the rescue.

So deficiencies in speakers and ears. :D

But I got a deck eq doing the job so I don't need music programs with equalizers anymore. And I don't for heaven's sake push any frequency up or down by more than 4 db.

steveneddy
October 3rd, 2009, 06:13 PM
Hope the link works:

http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=35670&d=1182108391

PurposeOfReason
October 3rd, 2009, 06:26 PM
I use MPD. It doesn't equalize. So... nupe.
Doesn't matter, you can equalize with your asound.conf.

Me, I don't touch theme unless it is a decent hardware eq. I really need to get a sub though.

koshatnik
October 3rd, 2009, 06:29 PM

Thats a rather simplistic generalisation. As someone that buys alot of vinyl, old and new, I cannot detect a lack of recording and production quality with newer stuff. I have a very transparent hifi set up, and it shows up poorly engineered and mixed recordings very well, and there are some LPs I have that were recorded in the 1970's that are so awful they are unplayable on a decent set up.

CD recordings generally sound better when put through a decent DAC.

Generally though, equalisers are redundant when you have a decent set up. With MP3's etc, then yeah I guess some fiddling about is needed, as encoding generally clips some of the dynamic range.

JillSwift
October 3rd, 2009, 06:30 PM
So deficiencies in speakers and ears. :DWhat?

koleoptero
October 3rd, 2009, 08:20 PM
What?

In conjuction with my other quote :P