PDA

View Full Version : Distro with xscreensaver by default

nobodysbusiness
October 3rd, 2009, 01:23 AM
Does anyone know of a Linux distro that installs with xscreensaver by default? I know for sure that Ubuntu and Xubuntu use gnome-screensaver by default, and Kubuntu uses kscreensaver. I guess I just haven't tried that many distributions lately, so I don't really know what's available.

rCXer
October 3rd, 2009, 01:59 AM
Don't know much about other distros but you can replace gnome-screensaver with xscreensaver with these instructions (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=195557).

Xbehave
October 3rd, 2009, 02:29 AM
(gnome/k)screensaver is just a fancy wrapper around xscreensaver, you should be able to run xscreensaver directly (i can with kscreensaver install on fedora)

nobodysbusiness
October 3rd, 2009, 03:30 AM
So gnome-screensaver is just a wrapper... interesting. I didn't know that. I'm sure that I can install xscreensaver on Ubuntu--in fact, I've done just that already--I was just wondering if there were any distributions that came with only xscreensaver by default and no wrapping.

keiichidono
October 3rd, 2009, 03:36 AM
Arch Linux.

lswb
October 3rd, 2009, 04:05 AM
You can replace gnome-screensaver with xscreensaver if you want, install it from synaptic or apt-get install xscreensaver. I haven't tried it so I can't comment on configurability vs gnome-screensaver.

Xbehave
October 3rd, 2009, 04:52 AM
Arch Linux.

arch Linux doesn't come with anything by default, god you arch trolls are annoying!

I haven't tried it so I can't comment on configurability vs gnome-screensaver.
The underlying screensavers are the same and have thier configuration handled better by xscreensaver however
1) The GUI for settings doesn't follow gnome standards or look gnomey
2) The settings are raw, so there are lots of sliders to tweak without any idea what it actually does

MaxIBoy
October 3rd, 2009, 04:57 AM
http://www.jwz.org/xscreensaver/toolkits.html

There is a very good reason NOT to use Gnome-Screensaver or similar.

~sHyLoCk~
October 3rd, 2009, 05:15 AM
Arch Linux.

Please stop unnecessary advertising and spamming.

keiichidono
October 3rd, 2009, 05:46 AM
arch Linux doesn't come with anything by default, god you arch trolls are annoying!

But that's the beauty of it, you choose what you want installed.

*I'm screwing around with you guys, but I do mean what I say*

nobodysbusiness
October 3rd, 2009, 12:54 PM
Well, since it doesn't seem that there are any distos that come with xscreensaver installed by default, I suppose I'll give Arch a try. The reason that I'm searching for an xscreensaver-based distro is for testing of screensaver/powersaving related software that I've been working on lately.

~sHyLoCk~
October 3rd, 2009, 01:02 PM
Well, since it doesn't seem that there are any distos that come with xscreensaver installed by default, I suppose I'll give Arch a try. The reason that I'm searching for an xscreensaver-based distro is for testing of screensaver/powersaving related software that I've been working on lately.

Did you not read the previous replies? :P Anyway, give arch a shot since you can install it there anyway just like in any other distro]

MaxIBoy
October 3rd, 2009, 05:33 PM
You can probably save yourself some time by just installing xscreensaver in your favorite already-installed distro, instead of installing a new one. The beauty of multiple distros sharing the Linux kernel, is that you can install whatever Linux software you want on any distro.

Of course, after reading this thread, I guess that hasn't persuaded you in the past. Oh well, it's good to test your software on multiple distros anyway, I guess.

earthpigg
October 3rd, 2009, 06:13 PM
Masonux does. not as any decision of mine, but because that is what LXDE comes with by default.

It's pretty basic, so may be well suited for testing things, breaking them, reinstalling, etc, quickly. uses the normal Ubuntu graphical installer.

|
|
|
\/

PurposeOfReason
October 3rd, 2009, 06:30 PM
But that's the beauty of it, you choose what you want installed.

*I'm screwing around with you guys, but I do mean what I say*
No, you're trolling and a horrible one at that. Great, you like arch. Big deal.

keiichidono
October 3rd, 2009, 07:46 PM
No, you're trolling and a horrible one at that. Great, you like arch. Big deal.

Well it wasn't a well thought out troll but I made the effort to troll someone today, who have you trolled lately?

kk0sse54
October 3rd, 2009, 07:53 PM
Well it wasn't a well thought out troll but I made the effort to troll someone today, who have you trolled lately?

Did you seriously just say that? ](*,)

nobodysbusiness
October 3rd, 2009, 07:54 PM
@earthpigg: Thanks for the tip! I'll try downloading Masonux and perhaps another LXDE based distro as well.

I've also downloaded the Arch iso, so I can try that too. I'm using VirtualBox, so it isn't that hard to try multiple distros.

Thanks for the help everyone! In case you're curious, I'm working on testing Caffeine for Linux (http://launchpad.net/caffeine), in preparation for the big 1.0 release coming up.

keiichidono
October 3rd, 2009, 07:58 PM
Did you seriously just say that? ](*,)

Yeah.

earthpigg
October 3rd, 2009, 08:15 PM
I've also downloaded the Arch iso, so I can try that too. I'm using VirtualBox, so it isn't that hard to try multiple distros.

you've never installed/configured arch then, i take it? :D

suggest using VBox's 'snapshot' feature or whatever it is called so you don't have to keep going through that process.