PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing Ubuntu

coyotemk
October 3rd, 2009, 12:36 AM
Hello there,
I've been using Ubuntu for some time, but for now i have ubuntu 8.1, and i wnted to install the new version. The problem is that i've done some "experiments" :D with ubuntu, so i think that i will lose more time by geting it good rather than instaling the new version.
I've downloaded the newes version, and i wanted to ask if i can install the new version, but without crashing my /home directory. if it's possible i want even to place the system on one partition and the /home directory on an other.

Shibblet
October 3rd, 2009, 12:37 AM
Hello there,
I've been using Ubuntu for some time, but for now i have ubuntu 8.1, and i wnted to install the new version. The problem is that i've done some "experiments" :D with ubuntu, so i think that i will lose more time by geting it good rather than instaling the new version.
I've downloaded the newes version, and i wanted to ask if i can install the new version, but without crashing my /home directory. if it's possible i want even to place the system on one partition and the /home directory on an other.

Yes, all you need is a "/" or Root directory to do the install. You may want to offload your /home directory to change it to an EXT4 filesystem after installation though.

Or, check this out...
http://www.howtoforge.com/how-to-upgrade-ubuntu-8.10-to-ubuntu-9.04-desktop-and-server

coyotemk
October 3rd, 2009, 12:48 AM
in fact, i had some problem with compiz, becous i set on left click a fonction that moves the window, and i couldn change the configuration on compiz, so i deleted every pacquet that containt compiz in the name. Since, the system is blocking sometimes without any reason.
If i upgreat to 9.04 the problems, do they gonna be fixed?

Shibblet
October 3rd, 2009, 12:58 AM
in fact, i had some problem with compiz, becous i set on left click a fonction that moves the window, and i couldn change the configuration on compiz, so i deleted every pacquet that containt compiz in the name. Since, the system is blocking sometimes without any reason.
If i upgreat to 9.04 the problems, do they gonna be fixed?

I don't think that Compiz was the problem to begin with, but I'm also not 100% sure. If you don't want to use compiz, just don't turn on the Visual Effects in the Appearance window. That utilizes MetaCity window manager instead.

So, I'm not sure that is going to solve your compiz problems. If you want to investigate that further, download compiz-check. Here is a link.

http://forlong.blogage.de/entries/pages/Compiz-Check