PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrade Ubuntu 7.10 to 8.04

wisedrunkard
October 3rd, 2009, 12:14 AM
Just installed Ubuntu 7.10 on a friends laptop in order to submerge him in the world of linux. However, when I tried to upgrade to version 8.04 via update manager, this screen hangs on reboot. Is there an easy way to upgrade?

ram2500
October 3rd, 2009, 12:24 AM
I don't believe in "upgrades", I've always installed fresh copies. Just download the 9.04 iso and burn the CD and install from there. There's probably an easier way, but I suggest a fresh install, that is, after you back up your files.

wisedrunkard
October 3rd, 2009, 12:32 AM
I've made a copy of Ubuntu 8.04 on a cd-rw but it isn't recognized by the drive. This cd is recognized on another laptop, so it's a clean iso rip. For some reason this laptop isn't recognizing burned cd or dvds, because I've tried putting several burned cds into it. Do you have another suggestion?

ram2500
October 3rd, 2009, 01:02 AM
Maybe your drive for some reason won't recognize the CD-RW, so the next idea is a bootable USB key. However, your BIOS must be able to boot from a USB device.

ram2500
October 3rd, 2009, 01:30 AM
Also, I forgot to say, you would probably need at least 1GB of space. And, to get your machine to boot to USB, you'll need to go to your BIOS setup and choose USB to boot as 1st device, that is, if it will boot USB at all.