PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu_studio] I need help installing Ubuntu Studio to my Alienware Area 51 Desktop.

Scottinator
October 2nd, 2009, 11:45 PM
I need to know the steps to installing Ubuntu Studio to my Alienware. I have XP Pro already but I want to dual boot using an already made partition. I downloaded Ubuntu Studio from the site already and extracted it to a folder on my desktop. Now what do I do? Thanks! :)

scratman
October 2nd, 2009, 11:51 PM
First of all I'm turning a hideous shade of green, that's an awesome rig.

Secondly, burn the ISO to a CD, and then leave it in the drive when it's burned. Restart your PC, but go into BIOS, make your machine looks at the CD/DVD drive before the hard drive for a boot image.

Restart the PC, let the Live CD loads up, and make sure things look OK. If everything's fine, select Install Ubuntu, select the partition you have left free, and then install. If you hit any problems after install, come back here and ask again.

Scottinator
October 3rd, 2009, 04:46 AM
Hey man thanks. Yeah what's funny is that the Area 51 is also a shade of green haha. So I have to burn it to a cd/dvd or can I load it to a flash drive and boot it off there? I dont have any blank dvd's here and no cd's that hold over a gig. :/ Thanks!

scratman
October 8th, 2009, 06:12 PM
Sorry for the very delayed reply. I personally would go out and buy a DVD to burn the image to, but if that's not an option, you could quite easily download an image of the standard 9.04 Ubuntu setup and then simply add on the parts required to turn Ubuntu into Ubuntu Studio. I'm led to believe that it is possible to write the image to a bootable USB drive, but having not tried this with Ubuntu Studio, I would hesitate to recommend this to you. I hope you manage to sort it out.