PDA

View Full Version : Store ???

samirbasha
October 2nd, 2009, 11:25 PM
Is it only me, didn't like the smell of software centre?

The previous "Store" name, the shopping bag icon, mentioning "Price: Free" for currently available applications....

There is nothing wrong if Canonical wants to make some money or planning to do that, but should this "pay" thing be a part of the OS ?

So what was that Ubuntu promise thing about?

Marlonsm
October 2nd, 2009, 11:35 PM
Their intention is to make both free and paid application to be available in the Softoware Center, I don't think there will be any paid applications in the next year or so.

It has both an advantage and a disadvantage:
-It'll encourage software makers to support Linux more, maybe (being optimistic) it'll even lead to Linux versions of software like Photoshop, Flash, Sony Vegas...
-It'll encourage free-software makers to charge a small fee for their applications.

running_rabbit07
October 2nd, 2009, 11:45 PM
I like the whole Software Center thing as long as it doesn't turn out to be every program costing 39.99 or more like all of the programs for MS.

samirbasha
October 3rd, 2009, 12:01 AM
May be it will.
And may be I'm paranoic about it.

What is a desktop any way isn't it the OS + Apps.

So when apps which you have to pay for will arrive it won't be 100% opensource any more, right?.......

running_rabbit07
October 3rd, 2009, 12:06 AM
I would like to keep commenting but everything that comes to mind appears to be a rant or whining and I don't like doing either. After all, the devs have to get paid, right?

issih
October 3rd, 2009, 12:09 AM
I'm willing to bet you are no where near 100% open source anyway.

Flash (official) isnt open source, nvidia drivers aren't open source, and many others too, those are just the headline acts.

If I were you, I'd relax a bit, either way, its Canonical's right to take the distro in whatever direction they choose, and I view all of this as using metaphors more familiar for new users (who are after all, ubuntu's stated primary target).

Either way, there are plenty of options (e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gobuntu) if this kind of thing truly bothers you, just make the choice to use one of them instead.

Tibuda
October 3rd, 2009, 12:11 AM
Ubuntu is and still is going to be free man. Only third party software that will be sold, like Pixel, Nero, etc. (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=8042952&postcount=7). All the applications that are free today will remain free too.

samirbasha
October 3rd, 2009, 12:23 AM
I'm not whining here :) there are still many choices out there.
And the devs have their choices too.
I like ubuntu, It was my dor to linux, and I never thought about alternatives to ubuntu till the "Store" thing.
Just wish that ubuntu will still have the same principles which brought many new users to use it.

samirbasha
October 3rd, 2009, 01:16 AM
By the way, anybody knows why the name was changed from "ubuntu software store" to "ubuntu software center" ?

Bölvağur
October 3rd, 2009, 01:23 AM
it will encourage developers to make software in similar fashion for ubuntu as iphone and android.

it will be a good thing.

samirbasha
October 3rd, 2009, 01:41 AM
it will encourage developers to make software in similar fashion for ubuntu as iphone and android.

it will be a good thing.
It will encourage developers to set prices for their apps similar to windows apps prices and then what we will have then, xpbuntu ?

The beautiful thing about the open-source that it's for every one.

will you be interested in developing good free software if others doing the same thing and gets paid for it?

HappyFeet
October 3rd, 2009, 02:04 AM
Either way, there are plenty of options (e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gobuntu) if this kind of thing truly bothers you, just make the choice to use one of them instead.

Exactly. Isn't choice wonderful? Gnewsense also comes to mind, besides gobuntu. Didn't they stop development on that?

samirbasha
October 3rd, 2009, 02:13 AM
Exactly. Isn't choice wonderful? Gnewsense also comes to mind, besides gobuntu. Didn't they stop development on that?
They did stop.

sorry for double posting but really anybody knows why the name was changed from "ubuntu software store" to "ubuntu software center" ? ;)

HappyFeet
October 3rd, 2009, 02:29 AM
They did stop.

sorry for double posting but really anybody knows why the name was changed from "ubuntu software store" to "ubuntu software center" ? ;)
I don't get the point of your posts. If you are alluding to canonical eventually charging people, I believe you are wrong. And even if they did, (which they won't) they would be cutting their own throats and people would move on to something else. So what are you worried about?

samirbasha
October 3rd, 2009, 02:44 AM
I don't get the point of your posts. If you are alluding to canonical eventually charging people, I believe you are wrong. And even if they did, (which they won't) they would be cutting their own throats and people would move on to something else. So what are you worried about?
I'm just expressing an opinion, thats the only point. I like the development of ubuntu and will be sorry if they will be "cutting their own throats and people would move on to something else"
Why I'm worried is because There was something i liked in ubuntu and and the shopping bag icon makes me feel that after fiew releases that somthing won't be there anymore.

jperez
October 3rd, 2009, 02:54 AM
It's just an icon you know. ;)

Besides, if they go that route, use something else. You have choices and don't have to stick to Ubuntu. You could even make your own distro and make it a clone of Ubuntu so you'd still have Ubuntu, but your own version. Wouldn't that be nice?

Remember, Linux is open so you're free to do with it as you wish. :mrgreen:

Jesse~

Sef
October 3rd, 2009, 03:02 AM
moved to community cafe.

toupeiro
October 3rd, 2009, 03:07 AM
using a software center to optionally add repositories which would involve a software purchase is fine by me. We'll see if it stays that innocent.

HappyFeet
October 3rd, 2009, 04:27 AM
using a software center to optionally add repositories which would involve a software purchase is fine by me. We'll see if it stays that innocent.
I'm sure it will stay that way. Shuttleworth isn't that stupid.

running_rabbit07
October 3rd, 2009, 04:38 AM
I'm sure it will stay that way. Shuttleworth isn't that stupid.

I think I agree with that. As long as basic programs are free, I am happy. If I were to have to pay for something extraordinary like VBox, then yeah, I may being willing to do so. Other than that, I use web browsers and email, for the most part.

samirbasha
October 3rd, 2009, 04:43 AM
I think I agree with that. As long as basic programs are free, I am happy. If I were to have to pay for something extraordinary like VBox, then yeah, I may being willing to do so. Other than that, I use web browsers and email, for the most part.
wow ... :) are you developing for canonical?

SoftwareExplorer
October 3rd, 2009, 04:49 AM
As far as why the name change, look at this:http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/21362/

running_rabbit07
October 3rd, 2009, 04:57 AM
wow ... :) are you developing for canonical?

Um, no.VBox is a well built program that works well with mostly every OS. I run four OSes within their program, so therfore I'd say it is worth a few bucks to me. I wish I could put them on my resume, but not today.

samirbasha
October 3rd, 2009, 04:59 AM
Um, no.VBox is a well built program that works well with mostly every OS. I run four OSes within their program, so therfore I'd say it is worth a few bucks to me. I wish I could put them on my resume, but not today.
u still can donate :) Sun will appreciate

running_rabbit07
October 3rd, 2009, 05:03 AM
u still can donate :) Sun will apreciate

Do not have much extra money lying around.

kreggz
October 3rd, 2009, 05:14 AM
Take Crossover Linux for example, I would be happy to buy that off the software centre, rather than from the website itself.

samirbasha
October 3rd, 2009, 05:17 AM
Take Crossover Linux for example, I would be happy to buy that off the software centre, rather than from the website itself.
I would be happy to support wine instead, to have a decent one as an open source.

misfitpierce
October 3rd, 2009, 05:20 AM
Yep, as said I agree that its fine even named store emphasizing that things will be sold... but all app's that are free including the OS will remain that way. Examples of things to be sold in app store/center are like Nero Linux, Parallels, etc. So either way its fine honestly.

kreggz
October 3rd, 2009, 05:28 AM
Crossover contributes to wine FYI.

samirbasha
October 3rd, 2009, 05:35 AM
so what if they do

hoppipolla
October 3rd, 2009, 05:42 AM
I think it's great :)

If I were running a Linux distribution I would be tempted to do the same thing, just to make a bit more cash and support things a bit better! It doesn't grow on trees you know ^_^

Oh, PS, think of it like this - we need to give developers more incentive to pursue Linux on the home desktop anyway, or we put them in a position where nearly all the money is in creating open source OSs for businesses. Methods like this give them a way to profit from open source in the home as well, which would be a fantastic thing I think for the open source movement :)

kreggz
October 3rd, 2009, 05:47 AM
so what if they do

commercial apps don't necessarily threaten open source

samirbasha
October 3rd, 2009, 05:55 AM
OMG you convined me ! Thank you ! It will be wonderful to have another partially paid for desktop just something like windows .
So I'm moving to Paybuntu Brainstorm thread.

kreggz
October 3rd, 2009, 05:58 AM
Sorry if I have offended you. See Ubuntu.com

The Ubuntu promise

* Ubuntu will always be free of charge, including enterprise releases and security updates.

If that changes, Linux will still live on. You can always move to a different distro.

samirbasha
October 3rd, 2009, 06:03 AM
U didn't :) Just liked it the 100% free way
free sounds like freedom :)

hoppipolla
October 3rd, 2009, 06:05 AM
OMG you convined me ! Thank you ! It will be wonderful to have another partially paid for desktop just something like windows .
So I'm moving to Paybuntu Brainstorm thread.

I'm sorry but I'm going to have to let you in on a little secret here - people need money to live! lol

It's not exactly a big deal anyway, it just means that if you want to buy a piece of commercial software for Linux (which, by the way, this can only encourage to be ported over officially) it would be a good idea to do it through the software center as opposed to by going to the company's website. This will probably give Canonical a little bit of money, and help them get on with what they do that little bit better and faster.

They don't work for candy you know ._. lol

kreggz
October 3rd, 2009, 06:14 AM
i work for beer:lolflag:

samirbasha
October 3rd, 2009, 06:16 AM
I'm sorry but I'm going to have to let you in on a little secret here - people need money to live! lol

It's not exactly a big deal anyway, it just means that if you want to buy a piece of commercial software for Linux (which, by the way, this can only encourage to be ported over officially) it would be a good idea to do it through the software center as opposed to by going to the company's website. This will probably give Canonical a little bit of money, and help them get on with what they do that little bit better and faster.

They don't work for candy you know ._. lol
Sorry didn't know that people need money. :)

Any way why should I care there are other distros, or even windows.

hoppipolla
October 3rd, 2009, 06:17 AM
i work for beer:lolflag:

xD

jonian_g
October 3rd, 2009, 06:31 AM
Sorry didn't know that people need money. :)

Any way why should I care there are other distros, or even windows.

Yeah the well known free open source windows. Tool!

Exodist
October 3rd, 2009, 06:42 AM
Software Center is a way for Canonical to recoup and make money off its investment (Ubuntu). Stuff that will be available for sale in SC will be commercial applications and games that a person normally would be charged for anyway. Two examples may be Nero and/or Quake Arena.
This is great for people who have no or limited access to those type of Linux applications and also that they will also already be packaged for Ubuntu.
Software that you currently get now will not be charged for. Users will continue to receive updates and have access to repositories for FOSS that they do now.

- Exo :popcorn:

hoppipolla
October 3rd, 2009, 02:53 PM
Software Center is a way for Canonical to recoup and make money off its investment (Ubuntu). Stuff that will be available for sale in SC will be commercial applications and games that a person normally would be charged for anyway. Two examples may be Nero and/or Quake Arena.
This is great for people who have no or limited access to those type of Linux applications and also that they will also already be packaged for Ubuntu.
Software that you currently get now will not be charged for. Users will continue to receive updates and have access to repositories for FOSS that they do now.

- Exo :popcorn:

Very well summarized :)