PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Upgrading...Is it safe?

xtremesupremacy3
October 2nd, 2009, 10:20 PM
Hey there,

I'm an avid Ubuntu user and have been for some time now.
Well, actually, I lie, I have been using Ultimate Edition (Ubuntu spin-off) for a while until I had to do a format and decided to use Ubuntu the way it is.

Now my question is simply a question, and not a problem (makes a change eh?).

When I had UE, the upgrade feature to the latest Ubuntu version was not adviced, but being the idiot that I was, I decided to do it anyway and it messed my system up something chronic.
Now I have an MSI CR700, which has taken sweat and tears to get working nicely and to be honest I don't keep notes of how I make stuff work so I tend to forget.

I'm really excited about Koala coming out the end of the month and obviously want to upgrade. Now here's my question:
If I upgrade, will it mean that my system is going to encounter many problems afterwards? I have a biiig collection of packages, and personal files, but I have not had to make any changes to the kernel, so in my own mind I can't see why it should mess up.
Can you confirm that it SHOULD not cause after-effects?

Thanks people!:guitar:

zvacet
October 2nd, 2009, 10:58 PM
First of all if you donīt have separate home partition make one following this (http://psychocats.s465.sureserver.com/ubuntu/separatehome) guide.In theory every new release should make your comp performance better.But you can run in some trouble,also.What Iīm going to recommend it is not very popular,but anyway...Wait about a month after new release is available and upgrade then.it always take some time to new release be polished.

oboedad55
October 2nd, 2009, 11:06 PM
First of all if you donīt have separate home partition make one following this (http://psychocats.s465.sureserver.com/ubuntu/separatehome) guide.In theory every new release should make your comp performance better.But you can run in some trouble,also.What Iīm going to recommend it is not very popular,but anyway...Wait about a month after new release is available and upgrade then.it always take some time to new release be polished.

I agree with this. I don't know if you're thinking of upgrading now, but just in case, remember that karmic is still in beta and can, and probably will, continue to suffer teething problems for a while. I've got it installed on another partition and am having severe problems with it.

xtremesupremacy3
October 3rd, 2009, 07:40 PM
Well, due to the fact that this laptop is my main laptop and used for all my important files and work, I would never consider using beta or alpha's on it.
I was considering making a home partition seperate from the main, but never got round to it.
I will take your advice and wait to hear what others say after about a month to see if it's worth doing.

thanks for your input!