PDA

View Full Version : USB tuners - Hubs and Antennas

Zeedok
October 2nd, 2009, 09:52 PM
I am thinking of adding a couple of USB tuners to my Mythbuntu box (currently has two internal tuners) but I had a couple of quick questions that don't seem to be covered anywhere . . .

1. Can I use a powered USB hub to connect the USB tuners?
2. Do I need an extra antenna cable to connect a dedicated input for the USB tuner, or will it use the signal I already have plugged into my HTPC?

Finally, it seems that the Asus My Cinema U3100 mini might be the best bet for out of the box Mythbuntu compatibility, but it is a single tuner (and I'm not sure it has an HDTV chip). Can anyone recommend a tuner that works out of the box, has HDTV and preferably has two tuners (if not I guess I could just buy two).

Thanks

belly917
October 2nd, 2009, 10:31 PM
1. I can't speak to your usb tuner/hub question as I've never used a usb tuner

2. As far as your antenna is concerned, every time you split the signal from your antenna, you decreased the strength of the signal delivered to each tuner. You may be able to do this if your current setup recieves very strong signals. Otherwise use a second antenna for your new usb tuners.

And as far as TV tuner cards, I would recommend the DViCO FusionHDTV7 Dual Express. It has a VERY sensitive tuner, so it'll have a better chance of tuning those weak signals. It also has dual tuners, capable of recording 2 different frequencies simultaneously. Just beware, it is a PCI-E card. If you need a PCI card and will settle for one tuner, the DViCO FusionHDTV7 Gold is a very good card too. Both cards work out of the box with the latest linux kernels, but you may have to download a firmware file depending on your distro.

Zeedok
October 2nd, 2009, 10:49 PM
Thanks for your input. As I said I already have two internal cards (and no space for any more) so am really only interested in adding USB tuners. I am aware of the problems with splitting the signal - but I think my question is slightly different. For example, at the moment I have a connection to an external antenna (in a medium sized apartment building, so the signal is amplified) and this is split with a good quality F-type splitter at the wall, then I have cable connected to the TV and one to the HTPC - but . . . both internal tuners get their signal from that one cable. So my question is, will a USB tuner also get its signal from that cable, or will I need to split the signal again and use a third cable?

tgm4883
October 3rd, 2009, 02:44 AM
Thanks for your input. As I said I already have two internal cards (and no space for any more) so am really only interested in adding USB tuners. I am aware of the problems with splitting the signal - but I think my question is slightly different. For example, at the moment I have a connection to an external antenna (in a medium sized apartment building, so the signal is amplified) and this is split with a good quality F-type splitter at the wall, then I have cable connected to the TV and one to the HTPC - but . . . both internal tuners get their signal from that one cable. So my question is, will a USB tuner also get its signal from that cable, or will I need to split the signal again and use a third cable?

Forgive me if I misread what you have said, but yes, you will have to hook up a cable to your usb tuner in order to tune things. It is not magic.

Zeedok
October 3rd, 2009, 03:19 AM
It is not magic.

You don't say?

I don't think my question is a stupid one. I have two tuners currently and only one cable . . . Will the USB tuner be able to use the SAME aerial signal as the other tuners, or will it need a dedicated aerial input?

tgm4883
October 3rd, 2009, 04:47 AM
You don't say?

I don't think my question is a stupid one. I have two tuners currently and only one cable . . . Will the USB tuner be able to use the SAME aerial signal as the other tuners, or will it need a dedicated aerial input?

Ah I see now, yea that question makes much more sense.

The only way to know if to add a splitter and scan for channels. It all depends on if your signal is strong enough or not.