PDA

View Full Version : Netbook remix firefox behavior

Eldis
October 2nd, 2009, 08:14 PM
Hey,

I've been trying to get my Wife to switch over to ubuntu for a while now but unfortunately on her EEE PC 1000 (can't remember what version I bought her). XP + Chrome seem to be faster than Ubuntu netbook remix + firefox.

The main problem is flash and multimedia filled pages like most news sites are these days. One other major problem is scrolling.

Since it's a netbook you scroll using the down button. In firefox you can setup "smooth" scrolling which is fine but it's bit too slow as in it moves too few lines down for each increment of time and the other is that it keeps moving even after you have stopped pressing it. Everything else in the linux enviroment in my opinion can and will be better. I just need some way to make basic web browsing more enjoyable and it would be a done deal.

To be fair when I use the eee pc with firefox it's quite slow compared to chrome even on XP so it's not entirely a ubuntu problem. The scrolling seems to be a linux problem since it will stop browsing down instantly on XP when you stop pressing.

snotplop
October 2nd, 2009, 08:28 PM
I had the same problem with scrolling on my Acer Aspire one 250.

Just disable smooth scrolling.

Tiny nibble of eye candy isn't worth the performance hit.

dustsnow
October 2nd, 2009, 10:55 PM
I have this problem in my Eee-PC 1000HE also.

Eldis
October 10th, 2009, 06:56 PM
Smooth scrolling did help a bit. But unfortunately the flash just seems to run much worse on linux than windows. Or maybe i'm not installing the right plugins.

I'll wait for Google to get the chrome browser out for linux and try again and see if my wife finds it acceptable then.

Or maybe there is some other browsers I could try that people find userfriendly and fast ?

theZoid
October 10th, 2009, 07:27 PM
what version of firefox are you using? Opera will be faster. Chromium for Linux will be much faster, but it's alpha and last I checked won't keep it's settings between updates. You can try Flock 2 from Getdeb.net which is based on FF3, that's a great browser, don't know if it's any faster, but I wouldn't doubt it. I think it's more FF than Ubuntu.

Eldis
October 10th, 2009, 08:05 PM
what version of firefox are you using? Opera will be faster. Chromium for Linux will be much faster, but it's alpha and last I checked won't keep it's settings between updates. You can try Flock 2 from Getdeb.net which is based on FF3, that's a great browser, don't know if it's any faster, but I wouldn't doubt it. I think it's more FF than Ubuntu.

I'd be using the FF version that happens to come with ubuntu 9.04 dunno what that is and can't check right now. I really like ubuntu (been using it for 3 years now on my media pc:s before that I had debian and suse), I just tried ubuntu 9.10 installed on a 16 gig pendrive. In fact I'm running a mythfrontend on a pendrive in my bedroom since my SSD disk flipped on me and i'm awaiting a replacement.

Anyway 9.10 felt really nice, the look and feel of it felt very modern. The suspend and wakeup speeds were awesome.