PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Uninstall fresh Ubuntu 7.10 on laptop

wisedrunkard
October 2nd, 2009, 06:25 PM
I recently installed Ubuntu 7.10 on a friends laptop, hoping to upgrade to 8.04. I'm very familiar with Hardy Heron and was hoping to submerge my friend into the Linux world.

However, after installing 7.10, I've had no success in upgrading to 8.04. A direct download through update manager leaves the screen hanging on bootup and my burned cd of ubuntu 8.04 isn't recognized by the OS (although my official ubuntu 7.10 cd is)

So I'm stuck with an operating system that doesn't recognize burned CDs and won't install Hardy Heron correctly through update manager. How can I upgrade from 7.10 or return to vista (i have a vista cd and a legit key written on the laptop, although the system isn't recognizing it)?

slakkie
October 2nd, 2009, 06:29 PM
You can upgrade from 7.10 by the guide shown in my signature. Have you tried that?

wisedrunkard
October 2nd, 2009, 06:34 PM
I will try to follow your directions. Thanks for the help. I'll let you know how it goes.

snowpine
October 2nd, 2009, 06:36 PM
7.10 has reached its "end of life" and is no longer supported, that's why you can't upgrade.

If the computer won't recognize either the 8.04 or Vista CD (if I understand you correctly) that is a hint there might be a hardware problem with the drive.

The following method is totally unofficial but has worked for me in the past.

gksu gedit /etc/apt/sources.list

Use the find/replace feature to change every instance of "gutsy" to "hardy". Save the file and quit out of gedit.

sudo apt-get update && sudo do-release-upgrade

I hope that helps. :)

wisedrunkard
October 3rd, 2009, 12:07 AM
No luck in following the guide in your signature slakkie. Is there another way to upgrade to 8.04?

slakkie
October 4th, 2009, 01:23 AM
No luck in following the guide in your signature slakkie. Is there another way to upgrade to 8.04?

What went wrong?

theozzlives
October 4th, 2009, 01:27 AM
I would just burn the ISO and do a fresh install. Remember to check the MD5SUM.