PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu wants to write entire disk

tophatandy
October 2nd, 2009, 04:42 PM
So i am trying to install a kubuntu based os (backtrack 4) on my eee 1005ha. I have the default windows installation in place. I want to dual boot windows and backtrack. I made a bootable usb drive with the live version of backtrack on it. I have no problem booting in and getting the installer, but the problem comes in when I get to the ubiquity screen where it asks me to partition my hard disk. It gives me two options: guided install that will install over my windows, or manual install which will install over my windows.

in short, ubiquity wants to write my entire disk, which is very uncool of it.

tophatandy
October 2nd, 2009, 06:19 PM
would a manual install be best?

tophatandy
October 3rd, 2009, 07:02 AM
bump? anyone have any ideas?

tophatandy
October 3rd, 2009, 06:20 PM
i caved. grabbed a 9.04 image bakced it up to my usb, booted from it. I installed 9.04 instead of backtrack 4. now i am facing the wonderful network problems ubuntu always seems to have. Its my least favorite part of ubuntu: the networking..

Bartender
October 3rd, 2009, 07:53 PM
Open up your Acer and drop an Intel wireless card in. That's what I did with my Dad's HP. It had some funky Broadcom chip. Popped an Intel 4965G in, problem solved.

Drakebyte
October 3rd, 2009, 07:56 PM
I side up with the above poster, my friend had the same issues with his network and a similar solution solved the issue :) On the other hand, don't forget that most problems with hardware can be solved, although the fix isn't always as easy. A possible solution would be hitting Google and look for

<your network hardware here> linux drivers support -windows -apple -mac -osx.

If your dedicated, I'm sure you can get it to work :), of course you would need to do this on a different PC/Laptop with internet access, but I shouldn't need to tell you that!

Best of luck!

tophatandy
October 4th, 2009, 06:31 PM
thanks for the replys. I got networking working after a bit of struggle, and opening up an eee and replacing the wireless NIC would be a pain to say the least. I prefer to go the software route. Besides, now that i got it working I have injection on the nic, which means fun times ahead with aircrack-ng. =D