PDA

View Full Version : The opinion of one of my university lecturers.. :/

themusicalduck
October 2nd, 2009, 04:25 PM
So I've started a class recently called 'media technologies' in my second year at uni (basically involves things like using flash, making website, etc.) We were having an introductory tutorial when my new lecturer starts talking about different types of software and applications.

He touched briefly on open source software, but this is basically what he had to say for it. Apparently open source software is "written by idiots" and is only good because it "has no price". He then went on to say that most open source programmers usually make software simply to see if they can "get a job with Microsoft" afterwards. I'm not even making it up, those are the words he actually used.

I couldn't believe someone teaching about computers at a university could have such an uninformed opinion. Had he never heard of the success of linux and firefox? Android, chrome too? Sad thing is that all the other students in the class probably believed him. Also there's the fact that he got the free concept completely wrong and that there is actually money tied in with open source and that developers are actually paid to do it.

This is a one-off however, I have spoken with other lecturers who know plenty about linux/opensource and respect it fully.

LowSky
October 2nd, 2009, 04:30 PM
bring in a laptop runnning Ubuntu, and show him that you disagree.

Bachstelze
October 2nd, 2009, 04:32 PM
"Leave them alone. They are blind leaders of the blind, and if the blind leads the blind, both shall fall into the pit."

Matthew, XV:14

scragar
October 2nd, 2009, 04:33 PM
Am I the only person that would have intereupted the class to correct him?

JillSwift
October 2nd, 2009, 04:36 PM
Nope.

Am I the only one who thinks this "media technologies" thing is a technological version of "underwater basket weaving"?

Pogeymanz
October 2nd, 2009, 04:36 PM
I totally would have too!

"Excuse me, have you heard of Firefox? Did you know that 75% of servers run a totally free OS and free server software?"

hoppipolla
October 2nd, 2009, 04:42 PM

I would have been tempted.

Or I would have just sat there and laughed at him hehe :)

ukripper
October 2nd, 2009, 04:44 PM
He touched briefly on open source software, but this is basically what he had to say for it. Apparently open source software is "written by idiots" and is only good because it "has no price". He then went on to say that most open source programmers usually make software simply to see if they can "get a job with Microsoft" afterwards. I'm not even making it up, those are the words he actually used.

Reminds me of a famous quote by an ancient Indian scholar:

“The serpent, the king, the tiger, the stinging wasp, the small child, the dog owned by other people, and the fool: these seven ought not to be awakened from sleep.”
Chanakya (c.350 - c.275 BC), also known as Kautilya or Vishnugupta, was a professor (acharya) of political science at the Takshasilâ University and the Prime Minister of the Emperor Chandragupta Maurya.

kavon89
October 2nd, 2009, 04:46 PM
open source programmers usually make software simply to see if they can "get a job with Microsoft"

My projects are open source because I would want to show a possible employer my skills. I also write software to enhance aforementioned skills.

open source software is "written by idiots" and is only good because it "has no price"

Ironic because MySQL is open source and he's teaching a class about creating websites.

Also, one couldn't say closed source software is written by idiots because you can't read their code to find out!

sydbat
October 2nd, 2009, 04:46 PM
"Leave them alone. They are blind leaders of the blind, and if the blind leads the blind, both shall fall into the pit."

Matthew, XV:14^^This^^

madnessjack
October 2nd, 2009, 04:47 PM
People are allowed to have opinions. If he thinks we're idiots, that's his issue.

themusicalduck
October 2nd, 2009, 04:51 PM
I was actually thinking of emailing him with some examples of why open source is successful, but somehow I don't think he'd take too well to a student lecturing him about his own subject.

Also this:

lykwydchykyn
October 2nd, 2009, 04:54 PM
I totally would have too!

"Excuse me, have you heard of Firefox? Did you know that 75% of servers run a totally free OS and free server software?"

Where do people get this number from? As if anyone knows what the vast majority of the world's servers are running...

I might have quoted "Don't cast your pearls before swine." too; I agree, some battles aren't worth fighting. I had to take a few classes from a fellow who spent half the class time going on about how great Microsoft products are and how lousy everyone else's stuff is; he would refer to Linux as "shareware" or something similar. Some people tried to argue with him, but there was just no point.

scragar
October 2nd, 2009, 04:54 PM
People are allowed to have opinions. If he thinks we're idiots, that's his issue.

I don't care what his opinions are, I don't like him lying to people.
If it's a mistake someone should correct him and move on, if it's not a mistake then he should be fired for it(OK, extreme, but he shouldn't be allowed to flat out lie to students).

schauerlich
October 2nd, 2009, 04:59 PM
If it's a mistake someone should correct him and move on, if it's not a mistake then he should be fired for it(OK, extreme, but he shouldn't be allowed to flat out lie to students).

Mmm, that's the freedom the FOSS community is known for. You're free to say anything, as long as you agree with us. If you have a different opinion and express it to others, you should be fired from your job.

scragar
October 2nd, 2009, 05:01 PM
Mmm, that's the freedom the FOSS community is known for. You're free to say anything, as long as you agree with us. If you have a different opinion and express it to others, you should be fired from your job.

What? That's not what I said, I said that he shouldn't be allowed to shove rubbish down his students throats, he's in a position of authority in a university, he shouldn't be allowed lie like that.

ElSlunko
October 2nd, 2009, 05:02 PM
You should've busted a Joe Wilson and yelled out "LIAR!" ;P

chrisjsmith
October 2nd, 2009, 05:10 PM
Apparently open source software is "written by idiots" and is only good because it "has no price".

Sounds like he had a run in with Ulrich Drepper.

lykwydchykyn
October 2nd, 2009, 05:11 PM

Right... because there haven't been a dozen other posts along the lines of "whatever/not worth the trouble/let it go". Funny how the one negative comment is always what "the community" thinks.

blackened
October 2nd, 2009, 05:13 PM
"Learn from people only what you deem to not be idiotic crap."

Me I:1

Bachstelze
October 2nd, 2009, 05:14 PM

Two wrongs don't make a right. Granted, saying the teacher should be fired might have been a bit excessive, but it changes nothing to the fact that he was lying. I develop Open Source software, an I can assure you that getting a job at Microsoft isn't my goal in life.

Warpnow
October 2nd, 2009, 05:15 PM
Most college professors I've known will reward you disagreeing with them as long as you support your argument and aren't rude about it.

Bachstelze
October 2nd, 2009, 05:17 PM
Religion != Morality

Who (in this thread) said religion == morality? I'm an atheist, btw, but I'm perfectly fine with quoting the Bible when I think it is right (and it's funny how similar it is to what you said).

scragar
October 2nd, 2009, 05:21 PM
Right... because there haven't been a dozen other posts along the lines of "whatever/not worth the trouble/let it go". Funny how the one negative comment is always what "the community" thinks.

Notice how it's not what I said anyway, you can disagree with me all you like.

As I said, if it's from a lack of understanding, or whatever, then fine, he should be corrected and everyone move on.
If he's lying about it though he shouldn't be allowed to lie like that, not when he's a teacher and holds such authority over what the students think on a given topic(remember that 2/3 of the world still use IE and have no idea on the philosophy of free software).

Besides, I didn't mean to fire the guy, maybe tell him to stop it and if he continues to lie to students then a warning should be issued, I really don't think there's any reason to fire someone though just because they lie to a few smart kids, most kids who are smart question what's being said, he still shouldn't be allowed to lie though, not when he's a teacher.

madnessjack
October 2nd, 2009, 05:21 PM
Aren't lecturers supposed to be pushy with their opinions? Gets people arguing more :P

pwnst*r
October 2nd, 2009, 05:22 PM

lol, the bible

rookcifer
October 2nd, 2009, 05:23 PM

Yeah written by idiots like MIT graduates, employees of IBM, Oracle, Red Hat, and Intel. Written by people like Linux Torvalds and Richard Stallman (definitely two knuckle-draggers). Written by people who have been working with Unix before your professor was born.

And you have horrible FLOSS apps like Firefox, the Linux, BSD and Solaris kernels, Apache web server (what the Internet basically depends on). Basically every major operating system that is not from Redmond is FLOSS.

Yeah, FLOSS is completely worthless.

RiceMonster
October 2nd, 2009, 05:24 PM
lol, the bible

lol, ignoring a good point simply because it's the bible

spoons
October 2nd, 2009, 05:26 PM
lol, the bible

lol, the internet. :P

blackened
October 2nd, 2009, 05:35 PM
Who (in this thread) said religion == morality? I'm an atheist, btw, but I'm perfectly fine with quoting the Bible when I think it is right (and it's funny how similar it is to what you said).

I was pointing out the irony of how easy it is to turn, what should be, common sense into a religious quote. And how, because religious discourse is forbidden on these boards, it would have been better form to lead off with some plain old common sense than with a quote like that.

That said, I realized, and removed, the inflammatory knee-jerk nature of the quoted part of my comment, probably as you were reading it. I apologize for that much.

pwnst*r
October 2nd, 2009, 05:36 PM
not ignoring the point - religion should not be involved on this forum. next.

chrisjsmith
October 2nd, 2009, 05:37 PM
Hitler! Nazis! Auswitch!

There - solved.

Bachstelze
October 2nd, 2009, 05:39 PM
not ignoring the point - religion should not be involved on this forum. next.

That's not for you to decide.

lykwydchykyn
October 2nd, 2009, 05:39 PM
I must remember this "quote the bible" trick next time I want to totally derail a thread...

pwnst*r
October 2nd, 2009, 05:41 PM
That's not for you to decide.

Discussions on religion and politics are not allowed

then i why bother posting 'rules' if people aren't going to follow them.

Bachstelze
October 2nd, 2009, 05:42 PM
then i why bother posting 'rules' if people aren't going to follow them.

Who discussed religion? You did, not I.

ikt
October 2nd, 2009, 05:42 PM
"thou shalt not suffer a witch to live"
Exodus 22:18

Execute him... or is that going to far?

blackened
October 2nd, 2009, 06:01 PM
Who discussed religion? You did, not I.

As a member of the forum staff, you are the last person we should be having this argument with. But, because this is where we find ourselves, it shows just how vague and open to semantic wiggling the rule is.

No you were not "discussing" religion, because a discussion requires a reply. But, because you were first to post with a religious comment, you are not in violation of the COC. Instead all subsequent posters who point out that your comment was unnecessary are in violation for making it a discussion about religion.

It's just not worth the trouble that it causes. That was the point.

NoaHall
October 2nd, 2009, 06:04 PM
Under the true laws of democracy, no person who has power over others should be inflicted with religion to the extent it controls their thoughts and actions. All you did was use a quote. Nothing wrong with that, as long as it doesn't conflict with your admin powers.

ikt
October 2nd, 2009, 06:10 PM
As a member of the forum staff, you are the last person we should be having this argument with. But, because this is where we find ourselves, it shows just how vague and open to semantic wiggling the rule is.

I like how in one thread he/she is complaining that people don't understand sexism, and then in the next quoting the most misogynistic, sexist, homophobic, hate filled and down right ignorant books ever written. I love it.

JillSwift
Can we please resume bashing the professor for failing to toe the FOSS line?

"Lo, though thee art cast from paradise, thine world shall be filled with that wich satisfieth your needs, including free and open source software." - Genesis, planet forbidden 20:15

scragar
Under the true laws of democracy, no person who has power over others should be inflicted with religion to the extent it controls their thoughts and actions. All you did was use a quote. Nothing wrong with that, as long as it doesn't conflict with your admin powers.

Someone who's going to abuse the admin powers would do so regardless of their religious beliefs.

Can someone please bring this back to the original topic?

NoaHall
October 2nd, 2009, 06:13 PM
You're wrong, scragar.
A strong Christian might try and ban anyone who said they were from another religion, or that Christians are stupid.
That's how the human mind works.

Anyway, I had a teacher like this, for programming. By the end of one the lessons, I had taken over and started teaching the class. And they said I was a better teacher. Don't take any nonsense from those who are wrong. And so deeply, deeply wrong.

Exodist
October 2nd, 2009, 06:17 PM
"leave them alone. They are blind leaders of the blind, and if the blind leads the blind, both shall fall into the pit."

matthew, xv:14

+1

scragar
October 2nd, 2009, 06:23 PM
You're wrong, scragar.
A strong Christian might try and ban anyone who said they were from another religion, or that Christians are stupid.

An atheist who would abuse his or her powers may back any religious talk, a Buddhist may ban speaking about money or getting drunk, a Jew might lock threads on the sabbath because to read them would be work.

You could make up something crazy for anyone to do with their religious beliefs, having religion doesn't make people any more likely to do crazy things it just makes it easier to justify them if you can say "god made me", or "but my beliefs say..."

NoaHall
October 2nd, 2009, 06:25 PM
I'm saying it SHOULDN'T affect their job/work/actions.
If it does, then they are denying other people's freedom of speech and opinion.

lykwydchykyn
October 2nd, 2009, 07:17 PM
I'm saying it SHOULDN'T affect their job/work/actions.

Heaven forbid anyone let their religion affect the way they talk,think, or act. Who would do such a thing?

If it does, then they are denying other people's freedom of speech and opinion.

yeah, so no more quoting the Bible! It's verboten!

cariboo
October 2nd, 2009, 07:28 PM
Please keep this thread on track, or it will be closed.

drawkcab
October 2nd, 2009, 09:10 PM
I wear my Ubuntu hoody when I'm teaching. Hopefully I am balancing things out even though I am not teaching "media technologies."

Bachstelze
October 3rd, 2009, 01:28 AM
I like how in one thread he/she is complaining that people don't understand sexism, and then in the next quoting the most misogynistic, sexist, homophobic, hate filled and down right ignorant books ever written. I love it.

You can find anti-semitism in Shakespeare, islamophoby in Voltaire, sexism in Flaubert, etc.. Should I refrain from quoting them as well?

You're wrong, scragar.

I'm not a strong Christian. Actually, I'm not a Christian at all. If you're going to comment on my posts, better read them all.

The Real Dave
October 3rd, 2009, 01:36 AM
I'm sorry, but whenever some one goes against Linux or open source software, I love to quip in with the lovely statistic,

70% of the Internet runs on Linux or Unix based Servers

70% :D Without Linux, the Internet, the world as we know it, would grind to a halt :D

Also, the majority of mobile phones run Linux. Google the manufacturer specs of your phone, if it says "Proprietary OS", its Linux :D

Bachstelze
October 3rd, 2009, 01:38 AM
70% :D Without Linux, the Internet, the world as we know it, would grind to a halt :D

s/Linux/BSD/

Actually, without BSD, it wouldn't even have started.

The Real Dave
October 3rd, 2009, 01:46 AM
s/Linux/BSD/

Whos got a link to that page showing the worlds top 500 supercomputers, showing that only like 5 of em are running Windows? The vast majority of them are Linux :D

Actually, now I think of it, I had an art teacher who was kinda similar. We were given the task of designing a web page, nothing complex like. He failed me because I used GIMP and KompoZer instead of Photoshop and Dreamweaver.

Don't you ever pay for software?

Not when I can use FOSS that does the job better

Quite a narrow minded guy.......

schauerlich
October 3rd, 2009, 01:52 AM
s/Linux/BSD/

And NeXT, but that had a lot of BSD code.

Whos got a link to that page showing the worlds top 500 supercomputers, showing that only like 5 of em are running Windows? The vast majority of them are Linux :D

Turns out, BSD isn't Windows, and it also isn't Linux.

JDShu
October 3rd, 2009, 02:38 AM
Turns out, BSD isn't Windows, and it also isn't Linux.

Read what he said carefully.

stwschool
October 3rd, 2009, 03:10 AM
Sounds like the guy's just uninformed. He's not tried anything other than MS stuff, and doesn't know better.

For what it's worth, at uni I studied psychology. One class was workplace psychology and tbh what our lecturer was giving us didn't stand up to proper scientific scrutiny. So I wrote a paper explaining precisely this for a project titled something like 'why is workplace psychology the panacaea for all work-related issues' or some such junk (can't remember the details, but it was a very leading essay title that we had to write around). I got an A because I was able to back up everything I said, I didn't leave any wiggle-room for giving a lower grade. If you're going to take my approach, do it right.

hobo14
October 3rd, 2009, 03:43 AM
Am I the only one who thinks this "media technologies" thing is a technological version of "underwater basket weaving"?

Nope.

Groucho Marxist
October 3rd, 2009, 04:00 AM
So I've started a class recently called 'media technologies' in my second year at uni (basically involves things like using flash, making website, etc.) We were having an introductory tutorial when my new lecturer starts talking about different types of software and applications.

Positive lesson learned from the experience: not using him as an objective source in future papers :D

I couldn't believe someone teaching about computers at a university could have such an uninformed opinion. Had he never heard of the success of linux and firefox? Android, chrome too? Sad thing is that all the other students in the class probably believed him. Also there's the fact that he got the free concept completely wrong and that there is actually money tied in with open source and that developers are actually paid to do it.

This is a one-off however, I have spoken with other lecturers who know plenty about linux/opensource and respect it fully.

I know the feeling of dealing with opinions similar to the above listed. Frankly, I find those who can not succeed in the "real world" of any intense or active career field find solace in the lofty ivory towers of the academic world. Granted, this is not the case for every professor, yet there are many who end up like this. The above mentioned professor, in my opinion, sounds frustrated that his works and opinions regarding electronic technologies are not being held aloft as worthy of emulation by others.

One of the most relevant quotes I can muster in relation to your tale comes from the late President Theodore Roosevelt when he states the following; "It behooves every man to remember that the work of the critic is of altogether secondary importance, and that, in the end, progress is accomplished by the man who does things." Just remember that, in the end, the work done by supporters of the open source ideal, the programmers who create the content and the people who promote such an extraordinary concept as Linux "do things;" academic opinions such as those held by the misinformed professor, will remain "of altogether secondary importance." I hope this helps :)

wilee-nilee
October 3rd, 2009, 04:13 AM
I am lucky in that the University I attend has several Linux labs and a mirror, unfortunately though my major is not CS. You have to spoof the main student web access at times though it doesn't like some latest Firefox, Opera, etc browsers though.

samjh
October 3rd, 2009, 04:21 AM

I couldn't believe someone teaching about computers at a university could have such an uninformed opinion.

If you had taken a REAL subject, like software engineering, you wouldn't have had morons talking smack about topics they know nothing about. ;)

Of course I'm kidding. But really, "media technologies"?!

starcannon
October 3rd, 2009, 06:06 AM

Go to the Dean of the University; do not pass go, do not collect $200.00, just go to the Dean. This guy has no business influencing young minds.

P.S.
My wife did an entire 7 year degree in Psychology using almost entirely FOSS. The ONLY time she used CSS(Closed Source Software), was when she used University owned computers. The lecturer you speak of is ignorant, and teaching, good grief.

lisati
October 3rd, 2009, 06:20 AM

Bigotry goes both ways - let's not go there.

themusicalduck
October 3rd, 2009, 10:27 AM
If you had taken a REAL subject, like software engineering, you wouldn't have had morons talking smack about topics they know nothing about.

Of course I'm kidding. But really, "media technologies"?!

Just to clarify, I am not doing a degree in media technologies. It is just a module on my course. My degree is actually in audio and music technology.

So far we've done things like programming, studio work, film, physics, electronics, music theory, etc. It ain't been easy, and I reckon this module will be one of the easier ones.

I am lucky in that the University I attend has several Linux labs and a mirror, unfortunately though my major is not CS. You have to spoof the main student web access at times though it doesn't like some latest Firefox, Opera, etc browsers though.

We do actually have plenty of linux labs here, but I've never used them. We've generally used OS X, but for this class we use vista :(

NoaHall
October 3rd, 2009, 10:33 AM
You can find anti-semitism in Shakespeare, islamophoby in Voltaire, sexism in Flaubert, etc.. Should I refrain from quoting them as well?

I'm not a strong Christian. Actually, I'm not a Christian at all. If you're going to comment on my posts, better read them all.

I didn't say you were. If you had read all of my posts, you would see that. I said you just quoted it, which is fine.

winjeel
October 3rd, 2009, 10:43 AM
I am absolutely sorry to say this, but I'd be looking for a better university... or perhaps he's one of those really weird, quirky, but stunningly brilliant people that a university cannot not employ. I'm sure he will have some good things to say (albeit, about paid technology). For the record, Wordpress and PHPBB is stunningly better than the horrible (monolingual) blog made by Hitachi that my university has imposed upon us.

themusicalduck
October 3rd, 2009, 10:55 AM
I am absolutely sorry to say this, but I'd be looking for a better university... or perhaps he's one of those really weird, quirky, but stunningly brilliant people that a university cannot not employ. I'm sure he will have some good things to say (albeit, about paid technology). For the record, Wordpress and PHPBB is stunningly better than the horrible (monolingual) blog made by Hitachi that my university has imposed upon us.

Actually my experience of this uni has been overwhelmingly positive :) like I said this was just a one off experience from one lecturer which shocked me a bit. All the other lecturers are very cool people.

Paqman
October 3rd, 2009, 12:35 PM
Sounds like the guy's just uninformed. He's not tried anything other than MS stuff, and doesn't know better.

Sounds that way to me, too.

Tbh, for someone to be teaching in technology and not have at least a basic understanding of the role of open source means they're probably willfully ignorant of it. In which case kicking up a fuss is probably going to achieve little.

HappinessNow
October 3rd, 2009, 12:39 PM

Similar incident from a professor but he supports Apple not Microsoft.

At my university professors are either pro-Apple or Pro-Microsoft, the majority are into Apple...our University bookstore is an official Apple dealer also.

All the other computers they sell have Windows on them including the Netbooks which have XP.

3rdalbum
October 3rd, 2009, 01:17 PM
1. Write a simple Bash script or the equivilant of "Hello, world!" and release it, licensed it under the GPL. You are now an open-source developer. (assuming you aren't already one).

2. Report the lecturer to the head of faculty for calling you an idiot because you develop open-source software.

3. Make a formal complaint to the Student Guild.

4. Co-sign it with my name - I'm an open-source developer and this lecturer has no business calling me names. Any old coward can fight the bear while the bear is away.

markbuntu
October 3rd, 2009, 03:19 PM
Media technologies???
Does he know that all that hollywood media technology runs on Open Source platforms?
It would have took 20 years to make Lord of the Rings on Macs and 100 using windows.

JayKay3000
October 3rd, 2009, 03:36 PM
thats funny.

Our uni runs a big room of sun machines using a distro of linux with the gnome interface and we get tought the more technical command line aspect of other linux distros as well (comp sci)

Google used to even run a lot of their systems on linux think it was ubuntu (google it)

Back at the start of computing open source was not as good but these days open source rivalls some of the best paid for software and some people even think operating systems may all end up being open source but thats a diff topic alltogether.

Guy sounds pretty ignorant. I bet he has never even tried anything like OpenOffice.org or Firefox.

The Real Dave
October 3rd, 2009, 07:35 PM
The problem is that, people like what they're familar with and can use. They kid themselves into thinking their experts because they know their way around Windows and know a few command line tools.

But the CL in Windows doesn't exist anymore, its just a shell. And CLI is where the power is. You can't become an expert in operating systems in Windows because it doesn't allow you. You can't break it down, and change the underlying code.

In Linux, you can.

credobyte
October 3rd, 2009, 07:56 PM
I would have simply left the classroom ( I have done it multiple times, when I felt that our lecturer had no idea what he was talking about ).

stmiller
October 3rd, 2009, 08:15 PM
Drop the class and ask for a refund?

Swagman
October 3rd, 2009, 08:46 PM
I'd have gotten his attention then kept twisting around trying to look at my butt.

When he asks what your doing your reply would be..

"Just trying to see if as much cr4p is coming out of my butt as what is coming out your mouth".

Then ask him if he's ever heard of Firefox.. or Thunderbird... or Gimp.. or...

By now the classroom will be in hysterics and he will have lost all respect.

spoons
October 3rd, 2009, 09:41 PM
Maybe the lecturer actually loves FOSS, and is trying to root out fellow users while not making himself look like a big nerd!

:guitar:

Old_Grey_Wolf
October 3rd, 2009, 10:58 PM
I'm an engineering manager. I make the decision if someone is hired or not. I have a couple of degrees myself. I have learned that what is taught at University is a few years behind current technology in many cases. I ask the applicant about FOSS just to determine if they are the type of person that is trying to continue learning, and stay current with technology.

If the professor is open to ideas other than what the professor teaches in class, then try to show the professor something new. If the professor is not open to new ideas, then play the game of parroting back to the professor what the professor wants to hear in order to get a good grade in the class. I have done both, with some professors giving me praise for doing something no other student had done before.

The idea that you need to fix the fact that the professor isn't teaching other students the truth (in your opinion) or current technology will get you nowhere. If the professor isn't willing to learn, there isn't anything you can do about it. I tried going to the Dean once, and that did no good. There is something called tenure that gets in the way with that approach.

When I hire someone, I know that I will probably have to bring them up to date with the technology we are using on the project. It doesn't matter what University they graduated from.