PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Xubuntu Studio

gareththegeek
October 2nd, 2009, 04:05 PM
I want to use linux for audio production.

Will I be missing out on anything if I install Xubuntu then install the Ubuntu Studio audio packages + real time kernel compared to just installing Ubuntu Studio from DVD?

Since I only want to use the OS for audio production I wanted to use Xubuntu to squeeze out as much performance as possible and avoid installing too many 'fluff' programs but I am worried that doing it this way will make the installation more complicated.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
G!

zvacet
October 2nd, 2009, 11:12 PM
I think you are on the right track.Second option is to install Ubuntu Studio and then change DE.Click. (http://psychocats.s465.sureserver.com/ubuntu/purexfce)

gareththegeek
October 3rd, 2009, 11:27 AM
Thanks, I think your way will be easier since I simply have to run that one command in the link and I'm done.

I'll give it a go once my new sound card turns up!

G!

gareththegeek
October 8th, 2009, 08:39 AM
In case anyone is wondering how this turned out.

I installed Ubuntu Studio and ran the command. After the command executed it told me it needed to restart, I agreed, but it got stuck shutting down so eventually I pulled the plug.

Upon reboot the computer couldn't find the boot partition for Linux and my system was borked. Only way around was to reinstall from discs. :(