PDA

View Full Version : What to do with a old IBM NetVista 2200?

Lightmaster
October 2nd, 2009, 03:08 PM
Hey there guys.I've managed to scrap up a old IBM NetVist2200 from my school.I must say I'm pretty impressed with it's condition:
-very little dust considering it's a 8 year old computer
-hardware visual inspection was OK.No leaking capacitors, no burnt parts, pins are straight etc.

All I need to do is find a power adapter since I don't have any 12V in house :confused:

It runs on X86 compatible processor at 233Mhz I think.
Only problem remaining is...what OS to load on?From what I heard it's pretty tricky to work with these computers...

pawhtiobo
October 2nd, 2009, 03:56 PM
Hi :)

How much ram?

For machines with 64 or less i recommend, Vector Linux light or Slitaz, but this is just an opinion based in my experience with old boxes :)

see ya...

Lightmaster
October 2nd, 2009, 05:32 PM
I think it has like 32mb RAM built-in at the moment.I plan on getting a 64 DIMM next week and a 512mb compact flash card :)

Bachstelze
October 2nd, 2009, 05:34 PM
Install OpenBSD on it, and you'll get the best router/firewall known to man. ;)

mr-woof
October 2nd, 2009, 05:38 PM
how about puppy or damn small linux?

Lightmaster
October 2nd, 2009, 05:49 PM
Hey, thanks for the replies :).I think I will try every light linux distro available for it.
It's a pitty that it only has USB 1.1 onboard, otherwise I would've slapped two big hard drives and let it rot somewhere in a closet.I will start with it's original distro, Linux-2200 and then move my way up.I have to customize the kernel for other distros wich is pretty hard for me as a newbie in the Linux world.

pawhtiobo
October 2nd, 2009, 05:54 PM
how about puppy or damn small linux?

Well damn small linux is very lightweight but it misses some functionalities, puppy is also lightweight, but i didn't like it... and in some old machine i got problems install it...i think its a matter of opinion, and it depends what you pretend to do with the machine...for a full desktop expirence i recommend Vector Linux light, is based in slackware and it as a small memory footprint and light applications. This is a full featured system with multimedia, office and networking capabilities featuring IceWM and JWM as Desktop Environments, just give it a try :):

http://vectorlinux.com/downloads

See ya...

HappyFeet
October 2nd, 2009, 06:08 PM
+1 for slitaz.