PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrade to 9.10

FreakTech
October 2nd, 2009, 02:36 PM
I am attempting to upgrade from 9.04 to 9.10 beta. I have followed the instructions found here: http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/karmic/beta#Upgrading%20from%20Ubuntu%209.04
But I am receiving and error that Could not download release notes. I have verified that I do internet connection. Any ideas on where to go from here?

BraedenNaylor
October 2nd, 2009, 02:44 PM
I have seen a few people have this and I am now suspicious that it is because of the heavy load on the server right now. I can't even do updates right now. It just locks up. You may want to wait until all the people grab the beta. I may be wrong though ;)

- Braeden

FreakTech
October 2nd, 2009, 02:47 PM
Yeah, I figured something like that. Thanks for the confirmation.

FreakTech
October 2nd, 2009, 03:47 PM
Since the update servers are being pounded right now I have downloaded the ISO. Is it possible to do an upgrade from the disk?

michaeld003
October 2nd, 2009, 07:50 PM
I am not sure if this will work since it is for upgrading from 8.10 to 9.04 but it is probably similar. I would make sure you back everything up though before you attempt this. Maybe wait for someone with more experience to give their 2 cents as well.

Upgrading Using the Alternate CD/DVD

Use this method if the system being upgraded is not connected to the Internet.

Download the alternate installation CD

Burn the ISO to a CD and insert it into the CD-ROM drive of the computer to be upgraded.

If the ISO file is on the computer to be upgraded, you could avoid wasting a CD by mounting the ISO as a drive with a command like:

sudo mount -o loop ~/Desktop/ubuntu-9.04-alternate-i386.iso /media/cdrom0

3. A dialog will be displayed offering you the opportunity to upgrade using that CD.
4. Follow the on-screen instructions.

If the upgrade dialog is not displayed for any reason, you may also run the following command using Alt+F2:

gksu "sh /cdrom/cdromupgrade"

Or in Kubuntu run the following command using Alt+F2:

kdesudo "sh /cdrom/cdromupgrade"

jatinps
October 2nd, 2009, 08:10 PM
I am having the same issue when trying to upgrade to 9.10 beta. I guess need to wait a while and try again.