PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Newest kernel

dvlchd3
October 2nd, 2009, 01:52 PM
Has anyone else had issues with the latest kernel update? I just updated last night, upon restart, I receive a cpc error, system halting right after selecting the new kernel in GRUB.

When booting into the old kernel, all is fine...any help?

dvlchd3
October 2nd, 2009, 09:03 PM
My mistake, I actually receive the following error on boot:

crc error

System halted...

The kernel version I upgraded to is 2.6.28-15-generic from 2.6.28-11-generic

Anyone else experience this problem, or have a potential solution?

acidPython
October 2nd, 2009, 09:51 PM
I thought the newest kernel was 2.6.30?

wojox
October 2nd, 2009, 09:54 PM
No it's 2.6.28-15-generic on 9.04. I haven't had any problems though to answer your question.

dvlchd3
October 2nd, 2009, 10:12 PM
Searching around, it seems this is a "Cyclic redundancy check - is a non-secure hash function designed to detect accidental changes to raw computer data, and is commonly used in digital networks and storage devices such as hard disk drives" (Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclic_redundancy_check)

Also, other threads have recommended checking your harddrive, cd-drive, and memory. I do know I have some bad memory sectors, however, it never really seemed to affect anything before now.

It also seems odd that this would only happen for the newest kernel version, but not the past versions. Is there something in the new release that would cause this error to occur?

steveneddy
October 4th, 2009, 05:01 PM
That's to be expected when running Beta software.

It just comes with the territory.

Hardy and Intrepid don't experience those issues due to the fact that those earlier releases are "stable".