PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] PC hangs on installation

Alan42
October 2nd, 2009, 10:03 AM
Hi

I am brand new to Ubuntu and apart from using the internet and office applications not an experienced pc user. I am trying to install Ubuntu on a laptop. I ordered and recieved the 9.04 version. When I install it gets as far as the "installing system" popup and then hangs when copying files at 24%. I have retried a number of times and also downloaded and burned an installation CD. The same thing happens every time. I have done a check of the hard drive and there are no errors. I have an AMD athlon processor with 60gb hard drive and 512mb ram, so should be sufficient capacity. There is currently no operating system on the laptop. Any help and advice would be gratefully appreciated.

dvlchd3
October 2nd, 2009, 10:18 AM
This happened to me with 8.10. I tried the "alternative" cd. This is a text-based installer, however, it allowed me to actually get Ubuntu installed.

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/downloadmirrors#alternate

Alan42
October 3rd, 2009, 05:42 PM
Hi dvlchd3

Thanks for your suggestion. I tried the alternate cd but still no joy. Seems to hang on "installing software" usually at 23% Preparing Gnome-Applets-data. Not sure if problem is specific to this feature or if I have a hard drive issue. Have run diagnostic checks and all say hard drive is ok. So looks like my attempts to load Ubuntu are doomed.