PDA

View Full Version : what does the letter i stand for on Apple products?

sudoer541
October 2nd, 2009, 03:22 AM
:confused:I was always wondering, whats does the letter i mean on Apple products such as the iPhone?
what about Pod, for iPod?:confused:

Bucky Ball
October 2nd, 2009, 03:24 AM
I think it stands for 'i can make a heap of money with this nifty, gimmicky letter starting the name of every product we produce.'

Works so well at doing that even other companies are using now. Just look at iRiver. We just had a new brand of sandwich spread come out over here called 'i2.0'. There was public outcry so they are changing the name.

-grubby
October 2nd, 2009, 03:25 AM
It doesn't stand for anything as far as I know.

Interestingly though, the URL for password retrieval on apple.com's login thing is 'iforgot.apple.com'

Xbehave
October 2nd, 2009, 03:26 AM
Apple declared the 'i' in iMac to stand for "Internet".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BHPtoTctDY#t=40

internet
individual
instruct
inform
inspire

so basically marketing drivel

chris200x9
October 2nd, 2009, 03:39 AM
:confused:I was always wondering, whats does the letter i mean on Apple products such as the iPhone?

incompetence....as in keep your iphone in your pocket and you will become incompetent...

sudoer541
October 2nd, 2009, 03:44 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BHPtoTctDY#t=40

internet
individual
instruct
inform
inspire

so basically marketing drivel

It doesn't stand for anything as far as I know.

Interestingly though, the URL for password retrieval on apple.com's login thing is 'iforgot.apple.com'

I think it stands for 'i can make a heap of money with this nifty, gimmicky letter starting the name of every product we produce.'

Works so well at doing that even other companies are using now. Just look at iRiver. We just had a new brand of sandwich spread come out over here called 'i2.0'. There was public outcry so they are changing the name.

makes sense thanks!

orlox
October 2nd, 2009, 04:24 AM
Couldn't it just mean that, "I"...

just in the same approach that nintento has wii-fit, wii-play, etc... where wii stands for we

steev182
October 2nd, 2009, 04:27 AM
I'm just waiting for nintendo to release wii-wee...

juancarlospaco
October 2nd, 2009, 04:28 AM
Its from the "I Like" marketing thing.

HappinessNow
October 2nd, 2009, 09:49 AM
i = i

Paqman
October 2nd, 2009, 09:52 AM
It stands for "gullible".

TheLions
October 2nd, 2009, 10:19 AM
i=Idiot

as idiot-proof

ad_267
October 2nd, 2009, 10:30 AM
We just had a new brand of sandwich spread come out over here called 'i2.0'. There was public outcry so they are changing the name.

Whew, I read about the new name (iSpread 2.0 I think), but I didn't know they'd decided to rename it. Thank heavens for that. Funnily enough, I think the name was decided by a public vote in the first place. I'll probably be sticking to vegemite+butter anyways.

HappinessNow
October 2nd, 2009, 10:33 AM
i=Idiot

as idiot-proof i+1

koshatnik
October 2nd, 2009, 12:33 PM
the "i" means, "ilectronic".

Oh wait, that starts with an "e".

Maybe it just stands for idiotic.

clonne4crw
October 4th, 2009, 04:14 AM
I originally though that it stood for Intel, like in iMac, because the older intel 386, 486, etc were often called the i386, i486, and so on. They may or may not be related. Just a thought. Because the iMac was the first 'i' product, right?

doas777
October 4th, 2009, 04:18 AM
short answer: narcissism

"There is no 'I' in 'FOSS' "

aesis05401
October 4th, 2009, 04:53 AM
It stands for 'id.' Their marketing should have cleared that up long ago ;)

SomeGuyDude
October 4th, 2009, 05:35 AM
Its from the "I Like" marketing thing.

This. The 'i' makes it personal.

Groucho Marxist
October 4th, 2009, 05:36 AM

Here are my ideas:

"i Love Buying DRM-Encrypted Files"
"i Want To Pay More For My Computer Than Necessary"
"i Love Being Unique & Creative, Just Like Everyone Else"

doas777
October 4th, 2009, 05:36 AM
It stands for 'id.' Their marketing should have cleared that up long ago ;)

is that eye-dee or freud's 'id'?

JDShu
October 4th, 2009, 05:50 AM
Couldn't it just mean that, "I"...

just in the same approach that nintento has wii-fit, wii-play, etc... where wii stands for we

I agree with this. Its an iPhone like how "I phone" or and iPod like how "I pod" get it? No? Actually I'm not sure I get it either... but it does sort of make sense to me in the back of my mind sort of way.

Hmmm, since Canonically holds the rights to "buntu", how come Apple can't hold the rights to "i"? Too generic?

starcannon
October 4th, 2009, 05:52 AM
i stands for incompatible.