PDA

View Full Version : Do you think if Ubuntu ever makes KDE 4.x it's default DE, it will end up brown? ._.

hoppipolla
October 2nd, 2009, 01:47 AM
Man I hope not! lol

I mean, the default Gnome appearance on Ubuntu has a kind of calming and earthy appeal but... could you really imagine it on KDE?

I wonder what they are planning to do if they switch to K...

Hoppi :)

dragos240
October 2nd, 2009, 01:51 AM
Nah. I don't think they will. Isn't kubuntu enough? I mean, would people download gubuntu? :p

t0p
October 2nd, 2009, 02:02 AM
I also doubt that Ubuntu would make KDE its desktop. KDE is Kubuntu's territory.

I reckon Ubuntu will stick with Gnome. And with brown. Without brown Gnome, Ubuntu wouldn't be Ubuntu!

jrusso2
October 2nd, 2009, 02:08 AM
Its possible. I read thats what Mark Shuttleworth uses in one of his interviews.

Roasted
October 2nd, 2009, 02:22 AM
I'm confused. Is there a chance Ubuntu will port to KDE?

If so - I quit Ubuntu. :(

fela
October 2nd, 2009, 02:26 AM
Don't worry, Ubuntu will always be gnome. Kubuntu is for KDE, Ubuntu is for gnome.

The brown color isn't here to stay though - as was made perfectly clear in the karmic thingamebobs.

hellmet
October 2nd, 2009, 02:28 AM
They could have made Kubuntu brown if they really wanted to.. They didn't and probably won't

Roasted
October 2nd, 2009, 02:34 AM
Don't worry, Ubuntu will always be gnome. Kubuntu is for KDE, Ubuntu is for gnome.

The brown color isn't here to stay though - as was made perfectly clear in the karmic thingamebobs.

That's what I always thought. I was so confused reading this thread.

I respect Kubuntu and love that it exists because I feel as though *ubuntu is a great distro. It's just, the reason X/K/Gnome exists is for the purpose of different flavors within a great distro, so I wasn't sure if I was misunderstanding everything or what.

I know a guy who absolutely despises Gnome. While me on the other hand, if I can't have Gnome on a Linux distro, I honestly just won't use it.

EDIT - And, honestly... is there anybody out there who runs Linux and DOESN'T mess with themes at all? I've ran the Moomex theme for years. It's amazing. I love it. And it's the FIRST thing I do when I fire up an Ubuntu install on a new computer. Yes, before updates, before tweaking my menus, etc. Moomex theme. First priority. Although I'm not a fan of the brown, I have no reason to hate on it since it's SO easy to change on the fly.

wersdaluv
October 2nd, 2009, 02:35 AM
Ubuntu will (probably :D) never use KDE as default because if that happens, Ubuntu will turn into Kubuntu. You think, it's possible? It's just a matter of what's getting the attention of Canonical. If something magical happens and Canonical focuses more on the KDE desktop, they won't have to change "Ubuntu" into a KDE desktop because Kubuntu already exists :)

Xbehave
October 2nd, 2009, 03:21 AM
Its possible. I read thats what Mark Shuttleworth uses in one of his interviews.
I think he also donated a lot of money to kde, I think ubuntu puts its emphasise on gnome as that is where enterprise is (and it suits enterprise much better than kde),. which is a shame becuase kde is easily as good as gnome.

As for the question, I think Kubuntu goes with a cool blue, which i doubt they will change even if gnome3.0 is a mess and pushes kubuntu into the temporary lead (like a lot of kde users switched on kde4.0 release)

Giant Speck
October 2nd, 2009, 03:26 AM
KDE will never be the default DE of Ubuntu, so there really isn't anything to worry about.

hoppipolla
October 2nd, 2009, 03:57 AM
I think it's a very silly and almost delusional assumption to say with certainty that the focus will never shift onto KDE. Whether they actually go the whole way and rename Kubuntu Ubuntu is another issue, but there is no reason why it isn't at least a possibility they will focus on KDE at some point in the future.

I mean, if anyone can think of one, please tell me.

Warpnow
October 2nd, 2009, 04:05 AM
Because gnome has consistently released more stable versions, while KDE tends to try new things, which inevitably leads to instability. Using gnome is just a natural progression of the Ubuntu model.

And...Karmic isn't normal brown...

Its this dark blackish brown thing, I like it, but odd. At least, the GDM theme is.

BrokenKingpin
October 2nd, 2009, 04:17 AM
I hope Ubuntu stays with Gnome, and I hope they move away from brown.

juancarlospaco
October 2nd, 2009, 05:22 AM
Whats the problem with Brown colour?,
OS X is boring Grey for years and people think thats cool...?

Exodist
October 2nd, 2009, 05:56 AM
Man I hope not! lol

I mean, the default Gnome appearance on Ubuntu has a kind of calming and earthy appeal but... could you really imagine it on KDE?

I wonder what they are planning to do if they switch to K...

Hoppi :)

I hoep not. I dont dislike brown, but the overly brown themes make the desktop boring. I would like the see the theme with more vibrant colors. Maybe exchanging the orange with blue. Shades of Blue and brown would look damn nice. IMHO.

praveesh
October 2nd, 2009, 08:23 AM

Mark was the first patron of KDE and he still continues to be a patron. As some one told earlier, the enterprices' love towards Gnome may be the reason why Gnome is the default. But I don't understand why the enterprices like Gnome over KDE.

hoppipolla
October 2nd, 2009, 03:05 PM
Mark was the first patron of KDE and he still continues to be a patron. As some one told earlier, the enterprices' love towards Gnome may be the reason why Gnome is the default. But I don't understand why the enterprices like Gnome over KDE.

Well, if you ask me (and sorry I've brought this up very often), KDE is only NOW starting to show it's real potential. Even with the later releases of KDE 3.x, it was negligible whether it actually looked better than Gnome 2.

4.4 and 4.5 should be very exciting releases :)