PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [gnome] Different login session in each workspace?

itsjareds
October 2nd, 2009, 01:29 AM
My mom sometimes drifts to my computer while I'm away, and she isn't used to how I have things set up on Ubuntu so she usually just restarts and uses Windows XP. I want to try to get her more comfortable with Ubuntu so I set up a separate login for her which is more accessible towards an older woman -- when she logs in, Firefox automatically is open. Firefox downloads files to the desktop. Other random tweaks like that I think will make her want to use Ubuntu instead.

She is so computer-illiterate that she doesn't know how to log out of my session (I usually keep myself logged in). I was wondering if there was a way to have one workspace (i.e., a side of the cube when you use Desktop Cube) for my login, and one workspace for her login. That way, she can just click to Workspace 2 and she'll be on with her ways. Is there a way to have two separate Gnome login sessions which are switchable by changing workspaces? If not, that'd be a great suggestion for Gnome developers.

UltraZone
October 2nd, 2009, 03:48 AM
Have you given a try to the Guest Session? Or you can make your mama a user. Different users can have their desktop managers configured completely differently.

itsjareds
October 2nd, 2009, 10:03 PM
She is another user, that's mainly the point. I'm trying to make it so if she uses the computer while I'm logged in, she can just switch workspaces using the panel applet and switch to "workspace 2" and it already has her logged in on her user account and ready to go. I don't care if it takes longer at startup to boot up 2 logins, it'd be cool to see it work though.